cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony closed my Amazon Store Card for doing what synchrony rep told me to do..

tag
frankjaeger
New Contributor

Synchrony closed my Amazon Store Card for doing what synchrony rep told me to do..

Amazon Store Card. No missed payments. $6,000 limit.

Long story short, I submitted a payment for the wrong amount. First thing in the morning, was not fully awake, whatever. I called them later that day to cancel it and they told me it was too late and the payment was already processing. I was then advised by the rep to call my bank and put a stop payment on it. I asked the rep if that would have any repercussions for my account like fees or derogatory marks or anything like that, and was assured it was fine. So I called my bank and placed the stop payment, and then immediately made another payment for the correct amount.

Fast forward three weeks and my account has been closed "due to a stop payment on the account." When I called them and advised them of the situation, the "manager" stated that he was completely on my side and the rep should have properly informed me of what would happen. However, he is still unable to reinstate my account.

Is there anyone who has been through something similar and was able to have their account reinstated? I use my Amazon card weekly and pay it off monthly. I've been nothing but a loyal customer and now I'm being screwed because I followed the direction of a synchrony employee.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
EAT_SLEEP_JEEP
Valued Contributor

Re: Synchrony closed my Amazon Store Card for doing what synchrony rep told me to do..

Sorry that happened.  You are probably better off anyway. Synchrony really seems to suck from all the horror stories I read here through the years. No way I would want one as they seem to go on a mass AA spree when the wind changes directions.

KEEPER EVERYDAY CARDS/ AMEX CHARLES SCHWAB PLATINUM NPSL/ AMEX GOLD NPSL / AMEX GREEN NPSL/ AMEX EVERYDAY PREFERRED $30,000 CL/ AMEX BLUE BUSINESS PLUS $5000 SL/ AMEX BLUE CASH EVERYDAY $6000 / FIDELITY REWARDS VISA $23,500 SL/ NFCU FLAGSHIP $40,000 CL/ NFCU MORE REWARDS $33,000/ WELLS FARGO AUTOGRAPH $8200/ CITI COSTCO ANYWHERE VISA $6000 SL/ DISCOVER IT $3000 SL/ CAPITAL ONE SAVORONE $3000 SL

SOCK DRAWERED/ FNBO JEEP CARD $7700/ APPLE CARD $6500/ / PAYPAL CREDIT LINE $1700

Message 2 of 21
keekers
Established Contributor

Re: Synchrony closed my Amazon Store Card for doing what synchrony rep told me to do..

Another bad news Synch story. Sorry this happened to you and I agree with Jeep...probably a blessing. Any chance you could grab the Chase Amazon card?

Message 3 of 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@frankjaeger wrote:

Fast forward three weeks and my account has been closed "due to a stop payment on the account." When I called them and advised them of the situation, the "manager" stated that he was completely on my side and the rep should have properly informed me of what would happen. However, he is still unable to reinstate my account.

Is there anyone who has been through something similar and was able to have their account reinstated? I use my Amazon card weekly and pay it off monthly. I've been nothing but a loyal customer and now I'm being screwed because I followed the direction of a synchrony employee.

Sorry this happened, but given the manager was unable to help, it will be an uphill battle IMO.

But the lesson, too late sadly for OP, is about relying on CSRs.    As frequently mentioned here, they often do not know and give incorrect information, mainly because the metrics are to finish interactions as quickly as possible and move on to the next.

In this case, it's especially likely that the CSR has absolutely no visibility into the group that manages risk (including CLD and closures) and may have been providing either the best guess, or just saying the "good" answer so the call would terminate quicker.   But basically they weren't authorized to speak for the risk management group and so the wrong answer, while unfortunate, is an employee mistake that doesn't bind the company.

Message 4 of 21
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@frankjaeger wrote:

Amazon Store Card. No missed payments. $6,000 limit.

Long story short, I submitted a payment for the wrong amount. First thing in the morning, was not fully awake, whatever. I called them later that day to cancel it and they told me it was too late and the payment was already processing. I was then advised by the rep to call my bank and put a stop payment on it. I asked the rep if that would have any repercussions for my account like fees or derogatory marks or anything like that, and was assured it was fine. So I called my bank and placed the stop payment, and then immediately made another payment for the correct amount.

My takeaway is that you should have followed your own instincts, instead of relying on counterintuitive advice from a random customer service representative.

If I were you I would just move on.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 5 of 21
GreatLife
Regular Contributor

"However, he is still unable to reinstate my account".

What exactly did the manager mean? Is this a systems limitation or a policy requirement? If it's policy then call again and continually request to speak with someone higher up the food chain until your account is reinstated. If it's systems then call again and speak with a solution oriented manager that's capable of offering some options that can get you into a new account with minimal credit score impacts including no hard pull. Are they able to change coding for the closure to something like lost or stolen card, then open a new account with the old origination date and credit limit, transfer acct balance to the new card?

Message 6 of 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@GreatLife wrote:

What exactly did the manager mean? Is this a systems limitation or a policy requirement? If it's policy then call again and continually request to speak with someone higher up the food chain until your account is reinstated. 

If it's policy, while you can always try, organizations don't always work that way.   They can simply refuse to let you speak to someone higher up .  They can also mark your account as "trouble maker" or whatever, meaning you would be unable to get another card from the issuer (in the unlikely event you wanted to!)

OP also would need to decide just how much effort to put in to try to reverse the decision.

Message 7 of 21
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Think about filing a CFPB complaint against Synchrony ASAP, and do the best you can narrowing down the dates and approximate times when you made both phone calls.   It's possible that the calls were recorded and the recordings retained for up to 30 days so if you're going to do this don't wait.

I can't speak to the odds of a favorable outcome but the complaint will get looked at by someone with more authority than a 1st level customer service manager.

(5/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 8 of 21
DoppelgangerD
Contributor

@frankjaeger wrote:

I've been nothing but a loyal customer and now I'm being screwed because I followed the direction of a synchrony employee.

I'm so sorry that happened to you.

Personally I've never had any issues with the Synchrony accounts I've had and do have, and hopefully I never will. I don't advocate for them or any bank for that matter. I  think they're all POS, lol.

At some time or another, we've all gotten screwed over in life and have the stories and scars to prove it.

C'est la vie as they say, and I agree with others that you should just try to put it in the rearview mirror.

Perhaps this opens an opportunity to get the Chase version of the Amazon card, and as a silver lining...

1)  You got out of an account with Synchrony which most consider a blessing.

2) You aren't likely to ever make the same payment mistake again.

I hope the rest of your accounts treat you better, and another plus is that there are communities like this one that are full of help and support when you need it.

Stay strong! 🤜🤛

Message 9 of 21
GreatLife
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@GreatLife wrote:

What exactly did the manager mean? Is this a systems limitation or a policy requirement? If it's policy then call again and continually request to speak with someone higher up the food chain until your account is reinstated. 

If it's policy, while you can always try, organizations don't always work that way.   They can simply refuse to let you speak to someone higher up .  They can also mark your account as "trouble maker" or whatever, meaning you would be unable to get another card from the issuer (in the unlikely event you wanted to!)

OP also would need to decide just how much effort to put in to try to reverse the decision.

Understood, but did the manager mean he couldn't or wouldn't reinstate the account? My intention was that policies can be overidden by someone with the proper authority - which might resolve wouldn't. System limitations require workarounds - which might resolve couldn't. OP's account likely already has a negative notation due to the closure reason. Possibly impacting other Sync accounts or ability to open any in the future. Amazon card is already closed so I see no harm in trying for a successful outcome.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.