Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highest initial credit limits?

tag
Shmike
Regular Contributor

Highest initial credit limits?

As I've been perusing everyone's signatures, it seems the credit unions are giving the highest starting limits. Is that the case? Do you have to build the relationship with them prior to this, is it connected to employment position? Do they serve people better when it's a credit union in their area? What are the contributing factors to getting these 40 and $50,000 credit limits? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Should I find some local credit unions, and go and open an account? Is it usually an initial starting credit limit? Or is it built over some time? Thanks in advance

FICO Score 8 as of 2/17/24:
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
wingennis
Valued Contributor

Re: Highest initial credit limits?

My 60k limit is a result of reallocations from other cards and then closure.  The highest starting limits I've received have been from credit unions and were less about relationship that credit scord/income.  The others are a result of patient curation of CLIs over time.

Message 2 of 31
swankytiger
Regular Contributor

my highest starting limit was from Amex on my base hilton card at like $17k

Main Card Setup

Sock Drawer

Chopping Block
Message 3 of 31
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I think my highest starting limits were $10k and $16.99k (yes that was my actual SL, lol).

CUs do seem to be more generous than banks in many cases, but not always. High SLs can come as a result of relationship with CU/bank, credit/income, or some sort of combination of the above.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 31
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Starting CL's are a function between each issuer's policies and your profile.

Some issuers are good on starting and grow slow, while others start low and grow fast.

Some are like rolling dice, you never know.

I believe Fico scores, history of payments and income are the 3 main factors after issuer which is on top.

A local CU gave me $25,000 as a starting and USBank my low at $7,000

Citi, and USBank, were less than my normal, and grew slow

Barclay, WF, FNBO, and numerous CU's are in the middle. (15k -20k)

High rollers are NFCU and My local CU Wescom.

Wescom started me with 25k and with almost no use it grew to 50k

I had them reduce it to 20k and they slipped up and gave me an auto

increase to 23,500 a few months back  Smiley LOL

I stop asking for more at 20K and most issuers don't give auto increases

if they have the web/app ability for you to ask.

Message 5 of 31
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

My highest SL was Chase Amazon Prime Visa ($35K)

My highest CU SL is a tie between Navy Fed and Interior Federal CU. ($25K, Elan also gave me a $25K SL)

I've received a $20K SL out of several CU's that I had no prior relationship with. NASAFCU, Bay FCU, Keypoint CU...

My AAA rewards Visa is my highest CL ($84.5K), which was a BoA product that seemed to hand over $10-15K CLI's every time the CLI link appeared. This is my fastest growing card. This card did see some massive purchases including one for $22K.

Slowest growing card - Bucketed Cap One Union Plus MC. 8 years old and hasn't broken $3K yet. Usually sock drawered.

Scores in the upper 700's to very low 800's, $200K income. Typically PIF but have carried some 0% balances in the past.

I'm content with any CL above $10K but prefer $20K+. Eventually I'll get around to weeding out some low hanging fruit if they don't grow.

Message 6 of 31
MarkintheHV
Frequent Contributor

My biggest starting limit came from Citi believe it or not.  They gave me a 30.5K starting limit on my Citi Executive card.

What's in my wallet?
NFCU Flagship - 80k | AmEx Delta Reserve - $70k | Citi AA Executive - $37k | AmEx Delta Reserve Biz - 60k | Citi AA Biz - 20k
Message 7 of 31
Shmike
Regular Contributor

So as I've suspected, there's no magic formula. I appreciate the reply, I suppose in my situation I just need to stay committed, and let everything mature. It's tough, I really want to get this moving along! We'll see my scores are strong, I don't have any missed payments. I think with a little patience I'll be just fine. Thanks again!

FICO Score 8 as of 2/17/24:
Message 8 of 31
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Thinking about it, I received $30K starting limits from

a) A bank, Capital One

b) a CU, NASA FCU

c) a Fintech, SoFI

but I guess Cap One wins as this was around 2000 (when $30K was real money!) whereas the other two were in the last five years, when $30K barely gets you a decent latte

Message 9 of 31
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

credit unions are more generous in my estimation due to the fact that they can see your income because many people bank with them or some folks will open an account like checking or savings or maybe a CD to establish 6 mos of history then apply and are easier approved. Also, Penfed used to have you donte like $5 to a charity for example to skirt their military requirement or whatever it was. Penfed always denied me like "debt pyramiding" which is a stupid answer when I was AZEO. 

Also, the nat'l banks can sometimes operate like credit unions if you use them for direct deposit and that can help you get higher limits.

Highest limit I ever got instant approval was when Chase had that Marriot card for 25k with 690 FICO and 150k income in 2012 straight outta college! Then Barclay's Arrival WEMC 20.7K; and S kank of America also gave me a SL of 30k on a recon which I wound up re allocating/pc'ing and what not over the years.

Credit limits are highly highly HIGHLY income dependent. As you can see my income with a 690 got me a large limit (but by that point I had several cards with 12-15k)

anywho, good luck. 

@longtimelurker  cap one was great before the Great Recession!! my apr on a plat card was 9.24 and theyd reduce 1-2% every six months! Also gave me CL every six months no matter what! :-)

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.