Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Inquiry for refinance advertised as favorable

tag
HelpWithCredit
New Visitor

Hard Inquiry for refinance advertised as favorable

Experian suggested a refinance of an auto loan that would save $1000 by dropping my interest 1%. Creditor performed a hard inquiry, then contacted my current creditor and came back with the bad news that the interest rate would actually be higher and the only possible benefit would be lower monthly payments. Is this hard inquiry possible to have removed? In the past I have only had soft inquiries performed prior to receiving the details of the loan.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

Re: Hard Inquiry for refinance advertised as favorable

Generally the only way to have  hard inquiries removed is if they're the result of fraud. Otherwise they'll remain.

Experian's "recommendations" are not dissimilar to those found on other sites such as CK, etc... They're essentially nothing more than marketing with an opportunity for them to receive referral revenue. 

You could try disputing it stating you only applied because you put faith in their recommendation that it would save you money. Maybe they'd remove it, or maybe they'd just point out some "not our fault" disclaimer they have.

Message 2 of 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@HelpWithCredit wrote:

Experian suggested a refinance of an auto loan that would save $1000 by dropping my interest 1%. Creditor performed a hard inquiry, then contacted my current creditor and came back with the bad news that the interest rate would actually be higher and the only possible benefit would be lower monthly payments. Is this hard inquiry possible to have removed? In the past I have only had soft inquiries performed prior to receiving the details of the loan.

Nope.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 3 of 5
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

As stated above, no, you can't have it removed.  It was pulled for a permissable purpose.

The good news is that, for most profiles, the scoring impact of any one HP is small.  After one year, the HP is no longer scored, and after two years it falls off your reports, so whatever impact it has is brief, as well.

Message 4 of 5
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

I think you would have to claim fraud. Maybe just suggest it, I really don't recall applying...

Good reason to keep reports frozen. You can always do a short thaw, only on the one needed, if you decide to go ahead.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.