Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User Questions

tag
jules79
Established Member

Authorized User Questions

For a credit card-authorized user to be reported on Equifax, Transunion, and Experian:

(1) Do I have to reside at the same address as the primary card owner, or directly related? 

(2) Does anyone have any luck or issues with specifically (Citi, BOA, NFCU, Wells Fargo, Apple Card, and PNC)

(3) Do THEY also backdate the AU's credit report? 

6 REPLIES 6
FlaDude
Established Contributor

Re: Authorized User Questions

@jules79 wrote:

For a credit card-authorized user to be reported on Equifax, Transunion, and Experian:

(1) Do I have to reside at the same address as the primary card owner, or directly related? 

(2) Does anyone have any luck or issues with specifically (Citi, BOA, NFCU, Wells Fargo, Apple Card, and PNC)

1) No, unless something has changed recently.

3) Most do, Amex doesn't but that wasn't on your list. 

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 2 of 7
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

@jules79  They don't even have to reside in the same state.

Citi had luck with. 
You didn't ask but luck also with Comenity

Message 3 of 7
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

@CorpCrMgr1 wrote:

@jules79  They don't even have to reside in the same state.

Can't reside in the state of bankruptcy.

Message 4 of 7
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

@FicoMike0  very true! I've been lucky and never had to go that route.

Message 5 of 7
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

I once lived I the state of misery, near the banks of the river despair.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@jules79 wrote:

Whether they're reported doesn't seem to be a big issue, it's more about whether they affect your score. When people realized AU cards were a quick way to boost their credit, a secondary market for tradelines sprung up, and the 3 credit bureaus responded by discounting AUs they deemed to be fraudulent. AUs were originally intended for wives who lacked or were unable to get credit on their own, so things like living in the same house, having the same last name, and even being of opposite genders may help your odds of getting a score boost.

But even if the credit bureaus consider an AU card to be scoreable, that doesn't mean all lenders will. Many explicitly discount all AUs when making lending decisions.

Though based on my own experience, NFCU seems fine with AUs. They gave me a card with a $8K SL when I had just 6 months of credit history, and gave me $16K in CLIs over the next 9 months. While my scores were great (FICO 8s all above 760), it was only because of an old AU card.

Aside from a lack of negatives, age is the most important factor for an AU card. Mine was over 20 years old. The only lender I've heard of who doesn't report the full age is Amex.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.