cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong address on Equifax ended up purging charge offs early (NY 5 year rule). what now?

tag
JM761
Regular Contributor

Wrong address on Equifax ended up purging charge offs early (NY 5 year rule). what now?

Hi all, 

I'm not sure if this is the righ forum or if I should post under Rebuilding Credit but thought I would start here...

My current address is not in NY but, I think, because of an error with EQ, they put my old NY address back on my report. I think this removed some charge offs a bit early (due to come off mid-2025). My score shot up significantly, which is great, but I wanted to understand why the charge offs and defaulted student loan were removed...

I've been clearning up my credit report for ther past 2 years. Started with a 590 in April 2022. I removed all old addresses, cleaned up a collection and had one closed account give me a goodwill adjustment.  I had 2 cc charge offs that I paid and I consolidated my defaulted student loan so I coul get forgiveness (PSLF). The old/sold student loan is closed and reports similar to a charge off (a bunch of lates and remark that says "sold to another lender").   I'm now waiting for the 3 charges off (2 cc and 1 bad student loan) to fall off my account in 2025. Everything else is clean and my scores, as 2 monhs ago months, were EQ: 730, EX: 738 TU: 715. 

At end of March/early April, I got an alerts that the 2 credit card charge offs were removed from EQ. My score went from 730 to 762. Baffled, I figured it was a mistake and they might come back.

This week, I messaged  EQ and TU to dispute/inform them that my Student loans were forgiven and provided proof. Hoping to get through the loophole and have the loan tradline removed from the account.  Surprisingly, EQ responded quickly and removed it. My score shot up to 839! I'm waiting to hear back from TU but I believe they denied it. 

While I'm super excited about EQ, I can't understand why they are removing the 3rd bad account. I ran my report for the zillionth time and, just now, realized that my old NY address was somehow added back in and is reporting as my current address.

The only thing I can think of is that this address is getting them to delete my older derogatories due to the NY 5 year purge rule. 

Does this sound right? The 2 cc have not updated for years (other than to report paid back and balance down to $0 in 2022 when I started the cleanup). It seems like the "new" (but wrong" address is what triggered the removal.

I'm not sure what to do...the right thing to do is tell EQ that the address is not accurate but I'm scared my derogatories will come back. Seeing that super high score is such a mood boost...maybe I can wait till the weekend is over and enjoy the 800+ number for a few days? lol

Any ideas on next steps is appreciated. I'm guessing i have to dispute the addrss and have it removed (again). 

7 REPLIES 7
JM761
Regular Contributor

Re: Wrong address on Equifax ended up purging charge offs early (NY 5 year rule). what now?

I meant to add: these are Fico8 scores.

Message 2 of 8
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

Re: Wrong address on Equifax ended up purging charge offs early (NY 5 year rule). what now?

Is your actual current address also listed?

Message 3 of 8
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

@JM761 The most likely scenario is a creditor is the one that reporting the address. Look the credit report and see who where creditors you had when you lived at that address does matter  if the account is paid in full or not.  Another way to find it is you know after a certain date you lived at the non New York address any account opened after that date  those you can eliminate. Whatever is left it one of those. Compare a report with out the NY address and one with it and look at those accounts. You will find the answer call the creditor to update the address

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 4 of 8
JM761
Regular Contributor

Yes - it is listed as the second address (or maybe it says previous address) on the EQ report. The TU and EX both have the correct current address. I know I need to change it back - not sure how my former NY address ended up as my current address on EQ. I looked back on old reports, it's been like that for at least 5 months. I'll go back farther to figure out when it was added in and maybe that can help sort it all out.  

Message 5 of 8
JM761
Regular Contributor

Thank you, @AndySoCal ! 

I will review the report. The NY location was a rental so I didn't change much to that address and kept my family's address since I knew it was temporary. I'll have to go back and see which ones, if any, are connected to it. I believe most, if not all, of those accounts are closed now. Maybe one of them updated and I didn't know. From what I can see, my original dispute removed the NY address (haven't lived there in almost 10 years) but after about 18 months, it added back in. I'll take your suggestion and see what happened. So strange! I'm pumped about the score boost and the deleted tradelines do not get added back in again when I fix my account Smiley Happy

Thanks for the help!

@AndySoCal wrote:

@JM761 The most likely scenario is a creditor is the one that reporting the address. Look the credit report and see who where creditors you had when you lived at that address does matter  if the account is paid in full or not.  Another way to find it is you know after a certain date you lived at the non New York address any account opened after that date  those you can eliminate. Whatever is left it one of those. Compare a report with out the NY address and one with it and look at those accounts. You will find the answer call the creditor to update the address

Message 6 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@JM761 wrote:

Hi all, 

I'm not sure if this is the righ forum or if I should post under Rebuilding Credit but thought I would start here...

My current address is not in NY but, I think, because of an error with EQ, they put my old NY address back on my report. I think this removed some charge offs a bit early (due to come off mid-2025). My score shot up significantly, which is great, but I wanted to understand why the charge offs and defaulted student loan were removed...

I've been clearning up my credit report for ther past 2 years. Started with a 590 in April 2022. I removed all old addresses, cleaned up a collection and had one closed account give me a goodwill adjustment.  I had 2 cc charge offs that I paid and I consolidated my defaulted student loan so I coul get forgiveness (PSLF). The old/sold student loan is closed and reports similar to a charge off (a bunch of lates and remark that says "sold to another lender").   I'm now waiting for the 3 charges off (2 cc and 1 bad student loan) to fall off my account in 2025. Everything else is clean and my scores, as 2 monhs ago months, were EQ: 730, EX: 738 TU: 715. 

At end of March/early April, I got an alerts that the 2 credit card charge offs were removed from EQ. My score went from 730 to 762. Baffled, I figured it was a mistake and they might come back.

This week, I messaged  EQ and TU to dispute/inform them that my Student loans were forgiven and provided proof. Hoping to get through the loophole and have the loan tradline removed from the account.  Surprisingly, EQ responded quickly and removed it. My score shot up to 839! I'm waiting to hear back from TU but I believe they denied it. 

While I'm super excited about EQ, I can't understand why they are removing the 3rd bad account. I ran my report for the zillionth time and, just now, realized that my old NY address was somehow added back in and is reporting as my current address.

The only thing I can think of is that this address is getting them to delete my older derogatories due to the NY 5 year purge rule. 

Does this sound right? The 2 cc have not updated for years (other than to report paid back and balance down to $0 in 2022 when I started the cleanup). It seems like the "new" (but wrong" address is what triggered the removal.

I'm not sure what to do...the right thing to do is tell EQ that the address is not accurate but I'm scared my derogatories will come back. Seeing that super high score is such a mood boost...maybe I can wait till the weekend is over and enjoy the 800+ number for a few days? lol

Any ideas on next steps is appreciated. I'm guessing i have to dispute the addrss and have it removed (again). 

I would not bother disputing it.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 7 of 8
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

Looks like the op has found a new hack to get some baddies purged early.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.