cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

800+ to 720 overnight… I messed up BIG TIME!

tag
Sabine
New Visitor

800+ to 720 overnight… I messed up BIG TIME!

i really messed up! I have an old Cap 1 card that I never use... well except that it's the card that I used to autopay go daddy for autorenewal of a domain name that renews every few years... Well I completely forgot about it. I went from having FLAWLESS credit and an 800+ credit score to the low 700's for failing to pay a $39 bill! 
I pay $5-10k on my Amex monthly ( I use it for everything and pay in full)... but I forgot to pay a $39 cap 1 bill. I recently also developed a medical condition and was pretty preoccupied, because I normally would have logged on to that statement.

How long before my score recovers? Will my Amex, Chase Ink, etc refuse to send me a new card when my current cards expire? Will they lower my limit?

Could I ask Cap1 to remove the late pay?

Thank you! 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
GZG
Valued Contributor

Re: 800+ to 720 overnight… I messed up BIG TIME!

@Sabine wrote:

i really messed up! I have an old Cap 1 card that I never use... well except that it's the card that I used to autopay go daddy for autorenewal of a domain name that renews every few years... Well I completely forgot about it. I went from having FLAWLESS credit and an 800+ credit score to the low 700's for failing to pay a $39 bill! 
I pay $5-10k on my Amex monthly ( I use it for everything and pay in full)... but I forgot to pay a $39 cap 1 bill. I recently also developed a medical condition and was pretty preoccupied, because I normally would have logged on to that statement.

How long before my score recovers? Will my Amex, Chase Ink, etc refuse to send me a new card when my current cards expire? Will they lower my limit?

Thank you! 

a single 30 day late? 

or longer?

make sure you pay that immediately and call and ask them for a goodwill removal of the late payment from your credit report because of the human error and your long standing as a customer, ask for a supervisor if the first person can't do that

if they say no, (they probably will), start looking up goodwill saturation and start sending letters/emails/carrier pigeons out 

most of the credit score hurt for an isolated 30 day late falls off after 2 years, but it will stay for 7 years if they don't remove it

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 2 of 11
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

Thanks for sharing, it's a lesson for us all.

Message 3 of 11
Sabine
New Visitor

Yes, it's a single 30 day late. I got the notification that my score tanked by one of the credit monitoring services associated with my credit cards... that's how I knew. 

I have a chase card that expires in July... do you think they will refuse to send me a new card? Even with a perfect payment history? 

Luckily I'm not shopping for a new car or a mortgage anytime soon... 

I'll start working on the GW letters... do those ever work?

Message 4 of 11
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@Sabine wrote:

Thank you! 

It's doubtful that your current cards will see any adverse action, but not impossible. If issuers are going to cancel cards, they won't wait until time to send a new card, they will cancel the one you have. Again, I don't think that is very likely though. 

I would suggest setting all of your cards to have autopay for the minimum payment to keep this from happening again.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 5 of 11
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@Sabine wrote:

Yes, it's a single 30 day late. I got the notification that my score tanked by one of the credit monitoring services associated with my credit cards... that's how I knew. 

I have a chase card that expires in July... do you think they will refuse to send me a new card? Even with a perfect payment history? 

Luckily I'm not shopping for a new car or a mortgage anytime soon... 

I'll start working on the GW letters... do those ever work?

It's highly unlikely that 30 day late would effect your others cards, maybe CLIs but other than that I would think you'll be OK.

Likely your negative is with Cap1 and they are the most forgiven bank out there.

Pay the balance to 0 ASAP.

They have once a year forgiveness policy, call them to remove the late fee 1st, and then see if they can apply that to late reporting as well.

Always have autopay setup on all of your cards, regardless of usage or not!

EDIT: @FlaDude  beats me to it, I second everything he said Smiley Happy👍

Message 6 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Sabine wrote:

Thank you! 

Ask Capital One to remove it. They might surprise you.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 7 of 11
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

You may wish to write to a member of the Board of Directors of Cap1. Find the home office for the member and send your letter there. Beg, plead, to have your late payment removed. This method has worked for multiple times for people I help and even once for me.  Do set up minimum auto pay. Good luck!

Message 8 of 11
citymunky
Established Contributor

This is why I'm not a fan of AutoPay. 

Rebuilding since 2021

Closed CCs
USAA (Jul 2019| Settled CO), Jasper $1 CL (Jul21-Jul22), Sable $250CL{Secured} (Jan22-Jun23), CreditOne Platinum $750CL (Jul21-Aug23), Prosper $1.9K CL (Jan22-Apr24)

Starting FICO 8 Scores:
Current FICO 8 Scores:

Message 9 of 11
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

@citymunkyI don't think auto pay was the issue?  I'm not a fan of relying on auto pay as my primary payment, but am a fan of a minimum payment auto pay as a backstop in case I forgot or something came up that kept me from my usual PIF before it's due.

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
May 2024 FICO 8:
May 2024 FICO 9:
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.