Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ca appeared out of nowhere

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

ca appeared out of nowhere

i received a call last week from a ca stating about 7 accounts i  had with them, one of these accounts has to be at least 15 years old if not older. can they still collect on this, isn't the sol expired? i told him i would call back so i could do some research before i knew it i got a letter stating the payment "i agreed to" was due in a couple of days. i never agreed to pay anything and not only that the accounts were not all mine.  i sent a letter telling them that and stated i would pay the two that are mine (pfd). is there anything else i should do about this? i think he called now because may of 2009 one is  scheduled to come off. oh the other accounts belong to DH. they lumped the sum all together in my name.

Message Edited by cantgetahead on 05-16-2008 06:14 AM

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: ca appeared out of nowhere

If these are beyond SOL & paying them will put a financial strain on you right now, put it on a back burner for awhile.  OLD debts like that are purchased for pennies on the dollar & they make their money by people who PIF.  This cannot go on your report, so don't loose sleep.  If you're actually doing ok & paying this off (which admittedly is the right thing to do) would make you feel better... Pay the OC, not the CA.  That will really tick them off!  Believe me, the OC will love ya for it too!

GL...
BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
i received a call last week from a ca stating about 7 accounts i had with them, one of these accounts has to be at least 15 years old if not older. can they still collect on this, isn't the sol expired? i told him i would call back so i could do some research before i knew it i got a letter stating the payment "i agreed to" was due in a couple of days. i never agreed to pay anything and not only that the accounts were not all mine. i sent a letter telling them that and stated i would pay the two that are mine (pfd). is there anything else i should do about this? i think he called now because may of 2009 one is scheduled to come off. oh the other accounts belong to DH. they lumped the sum all together in my name.

Do not talk to CAs. Send them a DV letter. It puts it on them to validate that the debt is yours. You can do a search here for a DV. List each account separately in one letter and send it CMRRR.

Do you know if any of these are on your CR? If they are you need to find out the DOFD and DOLA. What state are you in? This determines the SOL for the debts. In some states sending a letter of intent to pay resets the SOL.

SOL does not mean you do not have to pay a legitimate debt, it just means that you could use beyond SOL defense if they sued.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

DONT pay the OC, they no longer own this debt, they sold it to the CA.

They put several things into a lump sum and put it on your report?  I dont think they can do that, expecially if one is 15 years old!  I would let them know they are in violation of the FCRA by doing so, and you let them know you are seeking legal council, then perhaps offer them 10% PFD.  For debt this old, like the first poster said, they purchase for like 1%. 

Message 4 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
DONT pay the OC, they no longer own this debt, they sold it to the CA.
They put several things into a lump sum and put it on your report? I dont think they can do that, expecially if one is 15 years old! I would let them know they are in violation of the FCRA by doing so, and you let them know you are seeking legal council, then perhaps offer them 10% PFD. For debt this old, like the first poster said, they purchase for like 1%.

I believe they lumped them together in a letter to the poster, not the CR.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

only one is actually on the credit report and i am willing to pay it.  i have paid off so much in the last 8 months i'm just worried they will start adding new stuff and i'll be right back where i started.  trying to buy a home but my scores are not budging at all.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.