cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US bank CC - Shared access vs authorized user?

tag
creditn00bAt40
Established Member

US bank CC - Shared access vs authorized user?

I've been trying so hard to improve my credit over the past few years but I've got a lot of negative in my file. I also am living on scant income and not even making it paycheck to paycheck; I sometimes rely heavily on my rotating credit to make ends meet. That high utilization has resulted in adverse action taken by more than one creditor (but here's looking at you in particular, synchrony 😡) that in turn lowers my credit even furtherm So it seems my credit constantly yo-yos between upper level bad to lower level good, and I can't gain any ground.  

To the point of my post: my mom agreed to make me an authorized user of one of her credit accounts, US bank. After accepting the invitation and registering, I'm baffled as to what I was invited  and can find no answers on their website or from the agent I spoke to. I was given shared access. Is "shared access" the same as an authorized user? There is a FAQ about shared access on US bank website but it didn't have the info i need. The agent didn't even know what I was talking about. Will the account be reported on my credit file? Or does my mom need to do a different process for that?  I could really really use the available credit 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

Re: US bank CC - Shared access vs authorized user?

I don't have any personal experience with the US Bank shared access feature, but the descriptions I found by logging in through my online access make it sound like they are for account management purposes.  For example, you own a business with a card account and you want to give your accountant access to view all transactions to categorize your spending for bookkeeping purposes.  Another common example is for an elderly person granting permission to their most responsible adult child to make sure all bills are paid on time and to keep a watch out for fraudulent transactions.

As I said, I don't have any personal experience with this service but it doesn't seem like it serves the same purpose as an authorized credit card user.

May 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver [will be reassigned when new account starts reporting]
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 0 mos | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 2 of 4
creditn00bAt40
Established Member

That is also the impression I got. Thanks so much for responding! 

Message 3 of 4
TrapLine
Contributor

My direct US Bank "Shared Access" experience has been for the bank personnel to work with me on line at the same time using my credentials. They have worked with various matters and glitches in my profile.

Really worked well as they could exactly see what I see. Their access is not exactly the same so it has helped their IT folks to hands on.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.