cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused by Equifax dispute document - disputing my student loans that were forgiven

tag
JM761
Regular Contributor

Confused by Equifax dispute document - disputing my student loans that were forgiven

Hello -

When you get a dispute from Equifax and they close it, is that the final answer *after* they get a repsonse from your reporting agency ?  Or is it their initial response and they may still get info from the lender that would change it? My dispute resulted in them deleting my tradeline (on an old defaulted loan after it was forgiven through student loan forgiveness). It says "deleted" but it also said they reached out to the lnder for feedback. The way it's worded makes me think this is after they heard back from the lender but I don't know how disputes work so I wanted ot be sure. 

quick backstory: 

I have a student loan (navient) that is reporting as closed/sold to another lender (looked similar to a charge off) from 2018. Since then, I have consolidated my loand they were forgiven under PSLF (yay!). The consolidated loan reports as in good standing / closed / no lates. 

The Navient one, which was sold in 2019, hasn't been updated since. Since the loan was forgiven, I wanted to see if they would also update the info so delete the tradeline or remove the lates (there isn't much info online about what happens to older loans like this so I decided to give it a shot). Anyway, long story short: after speaking with a navient rep, they suggested i dispute with the bureau and provide proof. I did this with TransUnion and Equifax. 

Equifax updated the remarks on my account and then, a few days later, it removed the tradeline completely.  Wonderful news - all those derogatory marks are now gone - my score jumped 77 points!

Reading the dispute it said the same generic info they send everyone: if they can remove the info.

Then it said that in this situation: they: requested that the reporting company verify the accuracy of the info and request that they send Equifax a response to your dispute and update their records and systems, as necessary.

then, there was a bunch of info about the process and definitions, etc and finished with my results: 

We have researched the credit account. Account # xxx The results are: THIS ITEM HAS BEEN DELETED FROM THE CREDIT FILE

I want to celebrate but I'm still unsure if this is AFTER they heard back from Navient or did Equifax remove it as a precaution and they may put it back after they hear back from the crediet agency. I tried calling them to ask and was sent in circles on hold. 

Thanks in advance

1 REPLY 1
Friendlyfranknbeans
Established Member

Re: Confused by Equifax dispute document - disputing my student loans that were forgiven

should be a long document showing all of your payments and at the top of each credit line you'll see a note "reporting as accurate" or "deleted" 

congrats! 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.