Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Apollo Reinstatement process

tag
cardslayer
Regular Contributor

Amex Apollo Reinstatement process

Hey All,

Hard times back around the end of 2019, ended up with $37k in Amex balances unpaid. Personal: Amex Plat, Amex Hilton, Amex Delta Business: Amex Blue Cash for Biz. They filed lawsuit in mid-2021and I got served papers multiple times (one for each card). I also defaulted on a few other non-Amex accounts at that time, but got into a payment arrangement with Discover out of all of them. Here's the steps on how I went from that to reinstated Amex Platinum, hope it helps some of you:

• I called their Global Legal / Collections in November 2021 and told them I wanted to settle. Non-US agents
  • First rep was a jerk. They told me the account was ineligible for settlement, but they would gladly accept my payment in full (**bleep**)
  • I called back the next day or so, spoke to someone who wanted to help me resolve. I told them that I want to figure out how to pay them in full, but I would want my card reopened. They said pay first, then we'll see. I told them NO and ended the call
  • They called me the next day, same guy, and told me he looked into my account with this supervisor and I would be eligible to reinstate the Platinum card (only) on their Apollo Program if I pay off the entire balance within 12 months without any bounced ACH. They told me there would be a hard limit of $3,000 then it would go through normal periodic review to lift the hard limit eventually or never, no guarantees. Also would get about 87k MR points reinstated.
  • Then we start talking terms, long call about 2 hours. We agreed to $2,500/mo for 12 months, with starting payment of about $7,600 accross all cards. No interest, but $537 in legal fees.
  • They sent the agreement to their legal and sent it to me next day to sign. I signed and returned along with ACH authorization for the initial and monthly payments.
  • Made all of the auto ACH payments and never bounced any. Was tough at times! Incidentally I could see the payments post from my online portal login that I always had (cards all showed cancelled). It was posted in Activity section as "Agency Remittance"
  • I called reinstatement line about 10 days after my final payment (approx 5th of Dec 2022) and asked about reinstatement. They told me I would get a call , and I requested that the guy process it right now since I'm on the phone. He was cool and did it, and told me that it is submitted for compliance/review and I would get a call on the status within 2-3 business days. I didn't get a call or missed it somehow.
  • I called back on 9th of Dec to the same number, different guy. After identifying info was provided, he verified that the processing was complete and he just needed to verify some income and job info. He did that, and informed me that my hard limit was $4,700.
  • I am waiting for the card he said 7-10 days, but now see the new account online in my portal. 14 days to get points reinstated and get all of the Priority Pass etc. They would charge the AF within 30 days of me activating the card.

The reinstatement number I called was 1-800-700-7619 and told them I was transferred there by customer service.

Hope this helps those of you who are trying to resolve Amex old balance issues.

EDIT: It shows NPSL in the available credit line under the balance, instead of the $4,700 hard limit that they mentioned. I've had a hard limit before and I know it shows under the balance. Still don't have card yet and therefore not activated. Maybe I get lucky or maybe they update it when I activate?

EDIT 2: I got the card, and it updated to the $4,700 hard spending limit online!

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex Apollo Reinstatement process

Congrats. Been a few getting back in recently. Never heard of the Apollo deal. Did find some talk about it few yrs back on here:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/AMEX-Reinstatement/td-p/5230661 

Message 2 of 25
MOSHIE
Valued Member

Thanks for the detailed information. 

Personally myself I am going through a similar process, save for the lawsuit. I have a Blue Cash Everyday card & Gold (charge card) card and I had some rough times during covid lockdown around March 2020. Called them and asked them for a payment program or some sort. Fast forward to now, almost paid off, turns out one of the auto-pay methods didn't pull through for whatever reason (balance in auto pay account was way more than enough to cover monthly) and the account got turned over to Alltran Financial. The Gold Card is getting its balanced dropped to 0 this month (Alltran didn't report to collections) and the Blue Cash is still on a monthly payment arrangement. 

I've asked in the past to one rep about getting the account reinstated once paid off but she said not possible. Should I try again? 

Message 3 of 25
cardslayer
Regular Contributor

My accounts were still with Amex Global Collections, not sold off so not sure if that makes a difference on what they're able to reopen or not. If you want to try just call the number in the OP and see what they say.

Message 4 of 25
sjt
Senior Contributor

I would try again.

@MOSHIE wrote:

Thanks for the detailed information. 

Personally myself I am going through a similar process, save for the lawsuit. I have a Blue Cash Everyday card & Gold (charge card) card and I had some rough times during covid lockdown around March 2020. Called them and asked them for a payment program or some sort. Fast forward to now, almost paid off, turns out one of the auto-pay methods didn't pull through for whatever reason (balance in auto pay account was way more than enough to cover monthly) and the account got turned over to Alltran Financial. The Gold Card is getting its balanced dropped to 0 this month (Alltran didn't report to collections) and the Blue Cash is still on a monthly payment arrangement. 

I've asked in the past to one rep about getting the account reinstated once paid off but she said not possible. Should I try again? 

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 5 of 25
sjt
Senior Contributor

@cardslayer wrote:

My accounts were still with Amex Global Collections, not sold off so not sure if that makes a difference on what they're able to reopen or not. If you want to try just call the number in the OP and see what they say.

FYI- Amex doesn't sell their debts. They may assign them to an outside agency.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 6 of 25
cardslayer
Regular Contributor

@sjt wrote:

@cardslayer wrote:

Didn't know that, thanks for sharing!

Message 7 of 25
Djsaini
New Visitor

I am going through the same process right now , I have been speaking to a lady from the Apollo team and she had sent me the offer. I was hesitant to send any money outside of American Express because she keeps calling me from non 800 number 

Question- was the wire information different than the regular ach that's attached to the online. I am paying a large amount  so just want to be 100% before I send in the wire. I would appreciate if you can share your thoughts or info on this.

Message 8 of 25
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Welcome @Djsaini 

I'll ping @cardslayer and see if they can answer your question. They havent been here since last month. Did you try the # in the first post?

Message 9 of 25
cardslayer
Regular Contributor

Hi @Djsaini I don't know the answer to your question. 

I had a payment plan and they did ACH, no wire involved. So I gave them my account info, didn't have to push anything to them. 

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.