Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase just killed me without any reasons in their letter

tag
AhmedRadhy

Re: Chase just killed me without any reasons in their letter

@GreatLife wrote:

I'm no conspiracy theorist but a company regularly using gift cards for standard business expenses seems unusual to perhaps catch govt attention with Chase business checking account left open for monitoring activities & transactions? 

Maybe something lurks in a business database like Dun&Bradstreet if that's still a thing?

Innovis or Lexus Nexis might indicate something for why the closures?

They are more than welcome to read that open book and I'll be more than happy to show whatever they ask for.

Message 11 of 31
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

I find the gift card stuff strange too. Keep us posted on what happens. My advice would be to find a new bank. Many pay a sign up bonus for new accounts. There's a list on doctor of credit. Then, I'd cut out the gift card funny business. If you must, find a different bank for that stuff, make that account expendable. If it looks funny to us here on my fico (some of us are a little shady), it looks like "call the feds" to the bank. If you have some great explanation try it out here, see if we'll buy it first. Then, you might try a small local bank or credit union and see if anyone will listen to the story 

All seriousness aside, does any three letter agency consider you a person of interest? Are you on the no fly list? Have a list of countries with no extradition? Want to buy one? Roflol.

Message 12 of 31
RBD22
New Contributor

I'm just speaking from my several years of experience working at a bank in a previous life -- a lot of gift card purchases from a business account would throw up a bunch of red flags, especially if credit cards are being used -- triply so if money is also regularly moving around between the business and personal accounts.  It just isn't "normal" and suggests that you're hiding something (even if you aren't as you say).  I saw plenty of banking relationships ended for similar reasons.

The fact is, Chase (or any bank) doesn't *need* your business unless you're in the top 0.1% of the population and if you're doing things that could appear as shady or risky to an outsider or, even worse to them, to a government agency, it's probably in their best interest to drop you.  JPMorgan Chase has $3.8 *trillion* in assets so it just isn't worth the risk, even if you have several 100k with them and years of business.

I echo the advice to stop with the gift card stuff and to be straightforward with your spending if you don't want this to happen again.

STARTING SCORE: FICO as of 08/03/2015:
CURRENT SCORES: FICO as of 06/13/2023: ,
CK Vantagescores as of 06/13/2023: ,
Message 13 of 31
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

@RBD22 wrote:

I'm just speaking from my several years of experience working at a bank in a previous life -- a lot of gift card purchases from a business account would throw up a bunch of red flags, especially if credit cards are being used -- triply so if money is also regularly moving around between the business and personal accounts.  It just isn't "normal" and suggests that you're hiding something (even if you aren't as you say).  I saw plenty of banking relationships ended for similar reasons.

The fact is, Chase (or any bank) doesn't *need* your business unless you're in the top 0.1% of the population and if you're doing things that could appear as shady or risky to an outsider or, even worse to them, to a government agency, it's probably in their best interest to drop you.  JPMorgan Chase has $3.8 *trillion* in assets so it just isn't worth the risk, even if you have several 100k with them and years of business.

I echo the advice to stop with the gift card stuff and to be straightforward with your spending if you don't want this to happen again.

Banks are required to monitor accounts for potential money laundering and to file suspicious activity reports with regulators.  In many cases, they are not even permitted to explain what causes an account to be flagged because they don't want to provide any tips which could help circumvent those filters.  Running afoul of these parameters could subject the bank to fines/penalties.

OP already understands that they have unusual patterns of cash-like transactions.  They are even itemized in the first post.

May 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver [will be reassigned when new account starts reporting]
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 0 mos | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 14 of 31
RBD22
New Contributor

Absolutely. I submitted many of those back in the day. People go into banks and say the craziest things without considering if it's obviously shady or borderline illegal. It's honestly wild.

I think they called them SARs (suspicious activity report), or something like that.

STARTING SCORE: FICO as of 08/03/2015:
CURRENT SCORES: FICO as of 06/13/2023: ,
CK Vantagescores as of 06/13/2023: ,
Message 15 of 31
DONZI
Established Contributor

gift cards.. speaks for itself.

They do have other cards that are for whatever spending someone wants to do I think. GreenDot, etc.

The line is blurry between them to me since I've not used any outside of gift cards friends gifted me or given by some promotional thing, etc.

Probably about money made or not made by the bank for a given card.

If you always bought the gift cards with cash then it would probably not be a problem. Buying them with credit cards, yeah, history of taboo with that in these forums.

EDIT: didn't intend to be insensitive about the situation.. That really does sound like a drag. That's another common thing here, banks may do some lip-sync but at the end of the day, most of us are disposable in the broader picture. I used to use small banks in small comunities some time ago. That's quite nice. With the massive expansion of my home town, I am thinking of ditching it for a small town again. Might be a little harder to find in 2024 but going to road trip for a while looking perhaps before the year is out.

2014 credit2020 credit2021 credit2023 credit
paypal credit imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecharge card image
[2020-12-09]=[EQ8|786]-[TU8|746]-[EX8|772] .... gardening until I can't (again).
[2023-10-01]=[EQ8|797]-[TU8|776]-[EX8|775]
Message 16 of 31
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@DONZI wrote:

gift cards.. speaks for itself.

To join in with the others (as an ex-MSer who got closed down a few times) from an issuer viewpoint buying gift cards is always going to be suspicious.  The fact that the business is buying them and then you are using them would, IMO, add greatly to that suspicion.  (The one use case that can be understood is for the business to buy a batch of gift cards to give to employees as an award or something).

Basically, if you are using a gift card, except in the few cases where debit cards are accepted and credit ones aren't (or cost more), the issuer would want you to be using one of their credit cards!   And, in general, a consumer  should prefer to use a credit card too, for extra protections, rewards etc.  Anything else suggests MS of some kind.

Your argument that you haven't use the 300K points doesn't mean anything,  you could use them tomorrow.  And that amount, assuming a 5x card, suggests 120 $500 cards, which certainly isn't a lot by MS standards but is not insignificant.

As others said above, unless you are EXTREMELY wealthy, it's much better for a bank to shed a customer who might be a problem, than keep one who turns out to be a problem, i.e. false positives are much cheaper than false negatives.

That said, no idea why Chase kept a business account open, but from reading stories elsewhere (such as flyertalk) it's quite possible they will get around to closing those too.

Message 17 of 31
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@AhmedRadhy wrote:

I'm really confused, tired, angry, and don't know what to do.

On 04/05/2024, I received a letter from Chase stating, "After careful consideration, we have decided to close your accounts due to unexpected activity on this or another Chase account."

I have been a Chase customer since 2006. It's my primary bank. I have a personal and business checking account and 9 credit cards between business and personal. I use my credit cards a lot, especially the business ones. I receive a lot of money on my business account from my clients.

I don't understand what happened and the cause for Chase to close everything except my business account even that most of the activities happened on my business account. I'm confused because they closed my business credit cards 🤷🏻‍♂️.

So of course I called Chase and no reason was given by the supervisor on the phone. I also visited a branch and talked to the branch manager and again no reason was given. After that, I decided to go to a local bank to open a business account so I could continue working. Yes, they opened the business account and I was happy because I thought this was just a problem with Chase. But guess what? After 2 days I received a letter from the local bank saying they were closing my account. 

I start searching and reading and I found out about the 2 systems, chexsystem and early warning consumer services, which I never heard of in the past at all. So I guess there is something wrong with one or both of them. I'm not sure which one is used by Chase and the local bank.

So I registered with chexsystem and ordered my history from them. I got it today and there is nothing in it at all except some the saving accounts that I opened back 2022. The last thing in it was the local bank that I tried to opne the business account with. I don't have problems what's so ever. I called Chexssytem if there is another kind of report with more details in it but there is none. So I asked them to get a report for my business. So they will mail it to me.  But again Chase closed by peronal checking account and all my perdsonal and business credit cards. They kept my business account.

I also called Early Warning Consumer Services and asked for my personal and business history. They said it would take 15 business days 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ How could a bank see our history faster than us?!

Can anyone guess what happened?

Is it because I get a lot of zelles from my customers and the zelles I got are large?

Very possibly.

But Chase hasn't closed my business account. The local bank closed the business account. I guess maybe they asked fory SSN.

Is it because I'm a heavy user of their credit cards for my business?

No.

I don't go under my limit

Not sure what that means.

or even cycle the cards

but I really use them a lot and buy a lot. What should I do if this is for my business? 🤦🏻‍♂️

Is it because I buy a lot of Visa and Mastercard gift cards?

Very possibly.

Yes, I buy a lot of them and I use them all the time to buy things online for my business, pay taxes, pay bills, and more.

Why? Why wouldn't you just use the credit cards to buy things online for the business, pay taxes, pay bills, etc.?

They could just ask me, warn me, freeze the account until they ask, or just close that card.

How do you fix all the miss? 

I don't know. I'm not sure you can.

I have my oldest cards with Chase in 2008 and Chase is main bank. That's going to hurt my credit history :-(

The cards will continue to be reported even after closure, usually for many years down the road.

If Chase thinks the zelles I'm getting for my business is fraud or for money laundering, how do I fix it? I could easily show them that I'm using them for my business, paying medical bills, and taxes. I'm not playing games but how I would do that if the departmwnt who issued that order can't be reached by anyone and their call is final. 

If you could get a meeting with people who can do something about it, perhaps. Maybe your business relationship manager can help. But I have a hunch this is not something that can be fixed. It is highly suspicious for a business to be running on zelles and gift cards.

If Chase thinks I'm misusing and abusing their credit cards and account, how do you fix it? 

I'm really lost and confused 😞

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 18 of 31
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

I don't go under my limit

or even cycle the cards

At a  wild guess, the first should be "over" the limit, and the second is cycling the CL, i.e. getting near the limit several times a month, by paying it down when it gets high and repeating.

In theory, there shouldn't be anything wrong with cycling, at any point you owe the company less than the CL.   But again, it is not "normal" behavior, and if we are talking about large CLs and you are spending more than your apparent income, well....!

Message 19 of 31
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

I sold the op a list of countries with no extradition. He's he's joining forces with a cousin who's a prince in Nigeria,

Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.