Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The best options to rollover 401k to IRA

tag
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

The best options to rollover 401k to IRA

I am changing my employer and I have around 180k in my 401k account with Fidelity. I plan to rollover it to one external IRA to take the ownership of my investments, buy some stocks/ETFs, and also get a good SUB.

Which brokerage do you recommend as the host for this IRA plan (traditional)?

PS: I have an IRA ME and my total asset with BOA/ME is 35k. If I do the rollover to ME, my BOA premium tier gets upgraded from Gold to Plat honor and I receive a SUB of $250. Is there a better option (etrade, Morgan Stanley, Chase, US Bank, ...)? 

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
8 REPLIES 8
RSX
Valued Contributor

Re: The best options to rollover 401k to IRA

i rolled my last 401k into my USBank account IRA when i left my last company

if BOA is your main bank, and they will give you a SUB - might as well stick it with them

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 2 of 9
PNWRambler
Frequent Contributor

This is probably one of those things where you ask 10 people and get 10 very different answers.  Personally I would stay away from a bank for an IRA; banks tend to have fewer investment options and lower rates of return.  Personally I like Fidelity and Vanguard.  Probably two of the larger names in IRA's and I've used them both.  I recently rolled my 401k from my last job to Vanguard and it was a very smooth process.  I was able to put it into mutual funds that have an average rate of return of 12%+ over the last 10 years.  That's worth far more than a SUB in my opinion.

Message 3 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

I am changing my employer and I have around 180k in my 401k account with Fidelity. I plan to rollover it to one external IRA to take the ownership of my investments, buy some stocks/ETFs, and also get a good SUB.

PS: I have an IRA ME and my total asset with BOA/ME is 35k. If I do the rollover to ME, my BOA premium tier gets upgraded from Gold to Plat honor and I receive a SUB of $250. Is there a better option (etrade, Morgan Stanley, Chase, US Bank, ...)? 

I like American Century Investments.

https://www.americancentury.com/invest/accounts/retirement-ira/rollover/

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 4 of 9
keekers
Established Contributor

Fidelity or Vanguard.

Message 5 of 9
Mdowning30
Established Contributor

I will recommend Charles Schwab.

Chase Freedom Unlimited : $6000 | Discover It Chrome : $3500 | AmEx CS Investor : $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred : $5000 | Chase Amazon Prime : $2000 | AmEx Hilton Surpass : $1000 | AmEx Business Plus : $2000 | AmEx Platinum CS : POT $2800 | Tower Federal CU : $15,000 | Lowes Commercial Account : $1,000 | WF Bilt Mastercard : $4,000 | Shell Fleet Plus : $1,000
Total Credit Limit : $42500
Experian FICO 8 : 694
| Experian Vantage : 701 | TransUnion FICO 8 : 683 | TransUnion Vantage : 695 | Experian FICO 9 : 665
Starting Score: 512
Current Score: 693
Goal Score: 700+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 9
TyrannicalDuncery2
Contributor

If you want to maximize SUB, Webull has a pretty high promo and I think you can make it higher through a referral bonus.

But I think they have very limited features, limited asset types, worse execution, and of course not as long of a track record.

Message 7 of 9
Hansolojr
Contributor

I like the Merrill option since it bumps you into Platinum Honors and boosts your BOA card setup.  Use this link for an improved $350 SUB versus the $250 you have seen:

Merrill Edge $750 Exclusive Offer

@xenon3030 wrote:

Message 8 of 9
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

I called ME and they said that any new money outside of BOA/ME would qualify for the SUB (they have terms for one per 12 months). They said that no new account is required and I can roll-over to my existing IRA. So, I decided to go for ME to bump up my BOA preimum rewards tier to Plat honor.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.