cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a AU help my friend enough for a loan?

tag
DR527
Regular Contributor

Can a AU help my friend enough for a loan?

I have a friend who is in $44k of Cc debt. They are trying to pay the cards off, and would like to get them consolidated into one loan. They have a credit score of 699. But they have a credit utilization of 95%. If I were to add them to my cards (about $50k) would that be enough to help them get a debt consolidation loan? Any advice would be appreciated. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

Re: Can a AU help my friend enough for a loan?

You probably already know that the maxed out utilization is what's killing their scores. If there is any benefit for them, it would be extremely minimal, if anything at all. People with scores of 750+ and acceptable UTI might find it difficult to get a personal loan for the amount you're talking about, let alone one with a decent APR. 

Hopefully they've stopped using the cards and are looking at other avenues to earn some extra money to throw at this debt until it's gone. 

Message 2 of 6
DR527
Regular Contributor

I was able to get a personal loan for debt consolidation with a score in the low 600's with Navy Federal years like 8 years ago. I'm not sure how hard it is now. I didn't know if Sofi or upgrade or anyone would be more willing to give them a loan at a lower UTI? 

Message 3 of 6
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

I think their best shot would indeed be through a credit union.

Message 4 of 6
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

No one answered your original question. I have no direct knowledge, but if the au lowers their utilization from 95% to 49%, that should help their score. One caution, make sure you don't actually give them access to your account. If they are issued a card, keep it in your sock drawer, or cut it up. Anyone with $44k in cc debt and 95% utilization is likely a credit addict. They need an intervention, not an enabler. Maybe ask them to turn all their cards to you for safe keeping until they recover.

Message 5 of 6
Cowboys4Life
Frequent Contributor

I am going to opine that it won't help but for a different reason.  There was a time when an AU from anyone would boost credit scores.  People used to "sell" trade lines i.e. the use of one as an AU to boost scores.  The bureaus got wise to that and shut down that avenue of score improvement.  From what I have read/heard unless the AU is a spouse/parent/immediate family member or living in the same house/address such as long term couples living together then the bureau won't really increase the score that much and instead interpret as an artificial attempt to boost the scores.  Hypothetically if the score was boosed a bit by the lowered over all utilization I think creditors are still going to be gun shy in this economic climate of giving a personal loan to someone with over 95% utilization on all the cards they personally opened.  That factor alone will weigh heavily in any decision making.  

This person needs the snowball method and to sock drawer if not cut up those cards until they get their spending under control.  I agree with the other response that said enabling them isn't going to fix this situation.  

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.