cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP...I'm at a standstill with FICO 5,4,2- Do I need to rent, again?

tag
Manifest2024

HELP...I'm at a standstill with FICO 5,4,2- Do I need to rent, again?

Hey y'all! Well, I've been on a journey to home ownership, and... well, let's say I'm at a standstill. I've met with an MLO and had a plan that included paying off 5 out of 6 credit cards, keeping $222 on the last card, and paying off a $700 charge. I completed ALL of these tasks on March 15th, but there has been little to no movement on my mortgage scores. Here's the facts:

CC #1- Credit Limit $300; Balance $228 (reported correctly on all 3B)

CC #2- Credit Limit $750; Balance $0 - Showing $262 (Not reported on any 3B)

CC #3- Credit Limit $1000; Balance $0 (reported correctly on all 3B)

CC #4- Credit Limit $1000; Balance $0 (reported correctly on all 3B)

CC #5- Credit Limit $800; Balance $0 (reported correctly on all 3B)

CC #6- Credit Limit $725; Balance $0 -Showing $647 (Not reported on any 3B)

Charge-off

CC- Credit Limit $500; Balance: Account legally paid in full for less than the full balance (Not reported by TU and EQ; showing $766)

Inquires

8- 6 are from the MLO; 2 from last year

I aim to have at least a 640 middle mortgage score by May. My family has to move out of our rental home on May 15th, and we do not want to rent another home. Is it possible we will get approved? All advice is welcomed. Below is my progress. (I tried to find the signature line on my profile to use the link, but it didn't work for me.)

FICO 8

My credit score started (Jan. 2024): Eq-579; TU-585; Ex-576. 

Current credit Score (March 2024): Eq-671; TU-650; Ex-650. 

Goal: Middle score 700

FICO 5, 4, 2

My credit score started (Jan. 2024): Eq-516; TU-545; Ex-530. 

Current credit Score (March 2024): Eq-573; TU-593; Ex-578. 

Goal: Middle score 640

8 REPLIES 8
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: HELP...I'm at a standstill with FICO 5,4,2- Do I need to rent, again?

@Manifest2024 wrote:

Hey y'all! Well, I've been on a journey to home ownership, and... well, let's say I'm at a standstill. I've met with an MLO and had a plan that included paying off 5 out of 6 credit cards, keeping $222 on the last card, and paying off a $700 charge. I completed ALL of these tasks on March 15th, but there has been little to no movement on my mortgage scores. Here's the facts:

CC #1- Credit Limit $300; Balance $228 (reported correctly on all 3B)

CC #2- Credit Limit $750; Balance $0 - Showing $262 (Not reported on any 3B)

CC #3- Credit Limit $1000; Balance $0 (reported correctly on all 3B)

CC #4- Credit Limit $1000; Balance $0 (reported correctly on all 3B)

CC #5- Credit Limit $800; Balance $0 (reported correctly on all 3B)

CC #6- Credit Limit $725; Balance $0 -Showing $647 (Not reported on any 3B)

Charge-off

CC- Credit Limit $500; Balance: Account legally paid in full for less than the full balance (Not reported by TU and EQ; showing $766)

Inquires

8- 6 are from the MLO; 2 from last year

I aim to have at least a 640 middle mortgage score by May. My family has to move out of our rental home on May 15th, and we do not want to rent another home. Is it possible we will get approved? All advice is welcomed. Below is my progress. (I tried to find the signature line on my profile to use the link, but it didn't work for me.)

FICO 8

My credit score started (Jan. 2024): Eq-579; TU-585; Ex-576. 

Current credit Score (March 2024): Eq-671; TU-650; Ex-650. 

Goal: Middle score 700

FICO 5, 4, 2

My credit score started (Jan. 2024): Eq-516; TU-545; Ex-530. 

Current credit Score (March 2024): Eq-573; TU-593; Ex-578. 

Goal: Middle score 640

The only things which stand out to me is that 76% utilization on CC#1 and the potentially high (but apparently unreported) utilization on cards 2 and 6.

Chapter 13:

• Burned: AMEX, Chase, Citi, Wells Fargo, and South County Bank (now Bank of Southern California)
  • Filed: 26-Feb-2015
  • MoC: 01-Mar-2015
  • 1st Payment (posted): 23-Mar-2015
  • Last Payment (posted): 07-Feb-2020
  • Discharged: 04-Mar-2020
  • Closed: 23-Jun-2020

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!

In the proverbial sock drawer:
Message 2 of 9
Manifest2024

Thank you for your response. This is why I'm so baffled. CC #1 is the card she told me to keep a balance on. I'm so discouraged right now. 

Message 3 of 9
markbeiser
Established Contributor

@Manifest2024 wrote:

Thank you for your response. This is why I'm so baffled. CC #1 is the card she told me to keep a balance on. I'm so discouraged right now. 

Keep a balance of <10% on it, not 76%, that utilization % is hurting bad.
Leave only a small balance on it, and wait for everyting to report, you should see an improvement.

Back to gardening until Late February 2025.
Current FICO8:
Message 4 of 9
Manifest2024

Okay. I will pay it down today.

Message 5 of 9
VAMortgageGuy
Regular Contributor

Once the remaining 3 accounts update, you should see a bump in your scores.

Just curious, with where your scores started, are there any other derogatory hit besides the charge off?

Message 6 of 9
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@Manifest2024 wrote:

Your credit limits are low on all the cards, do not report more than $10 on ONLY ONE card. This method called AZEO, and it should give you 30+ point. However this method is not sustainable for months, but is best to use couple of months before getting a loan.

Good luck.

Also welcome to the forum, the more you hangout here the more you learn how to increase your score, increase your credit limits, lower your interest rates and increase your credit cards Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 9
Manifest2024

Thank you for your reply. I don't have anything else that hit. I have two derogatory marks on my report due to student loans. I've disputed those as I have never missed a payment. It was due to my consolidating the loans, and they were not placed in deferment. Is there something else I can do?

Message 8 of 9
Manifest2024

Thank you for your help. I paid it down to $7, so I'm on track now. I need to purchase almost immediately. We have to move out of our rental on May 15, but I'm not sure if we will make it. Will my FICO 5, 4, 2 increase? I'm seeing a jump in FICO 8, but that's it.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.