cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Equity Loan - credit card utilization question

tag
dave1980

Home Equity Loan - credit card utilization question

I have a credit score around 720. Overall DTI around 33%. Enough equity built for a 50K Home Equity loan.

Question is - i have one credit card that is 29% utilization and another credit card that is 99% utilization. 

I need cash ASAP. But will the 99% utilization card impact on the rates or anything that I'm not aware? [or] since the overall DTI is at 33%, I should not be worried and goahead and apply ? Since this will make a hard inquiry on the report, i'm asking for help if I put down the application. Please advise.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Home Equity Loan - credit card utilization question

Utilization on accounts won't directly factor into the interest rates.  But it does impact your credit score, which does factor into the interest rate.

The primary factors that determine your interest rate are credit score, loan amount, combined loan-to-value (CLTV) of all mortgages and occupancy type (primary residence, second/vacation home, investment property). 

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 4
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@dave1980 wrote:

I have a credit score around 720. Overall DTI around 33%. Enough equity built for a 50K Home Equity loan.

Question is - i have one credit card that is 29% utilization and another credit card that is 99% utilization. 

I need cash ASAP. But will the 99% utilization card impact on the rates or anything that I'm not aware? [or] since the overall DTI is at 33%, I should not be worried and goahead and apply ? 

The card UT of 99% is probably dropping your credit score 30 points vs a 29% UT on the card. That may have a rate implication.

However, if you need the money, it's a moot point and 720 is not a bad score.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 3 of 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@dave1980 wrote:

I need cash ASAP. But will the 99% utilization card impact on the rates or anything that I'm not aware? [or] since the overall DTI is at 33%, I should not be worried and goahead and apply ? Since this will make a hard inquiry on the report, i'm asking for help if I put down the application. Please advise.

Assuming that you're taking the loan out to pay off these credit card balances then I'd move forward.  Not sure what interest rate you're paying on the CCs but almost certainly it's 2X or 3X the home equity rate.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.