Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing Status

tag
vikingpride01
Valued Member

Filing Status

For the past 2 years I have filed HOH  as my husband owes and has not filed his taxes. I'm in the process of buying and do not plan to use him unless I absolutey have to (for the income).  My questions is will this affect my application? Will lenders/underwriters question me filing HOH. At one point we were separated, living in separate homes but later reconciled. I have not filed taxes this year, because if we need to file together, I may have to! Any advice is greatly appreciated! 

3 REPLIES 3
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Filing Status

It wouldn't make any difference if you filed as HOH or together.  Underwriting won't require copies of his tax returns or income documentation if he isn't on the loan (and you aren't qualifying for any sort of household income-restricted program such as down payment assistance or a USDA loan). 

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 4
vikingpride01
Valued Member

Ok thanks for the response. We were actually hoping to apply for down payment assistance.  So, to qualify we will need to apply together.

Message 3 of 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

You can still file as HOH and your spouse files separately.  If he has taxable income then he'll very likely have to file the last 2 years of tax returns (2023's aren't due yet and a tax return extension can be used in lieu of it up until the October deadline).

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.