Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USDA Guarantee Loan Amount

tag
RLZQ0581
Established Member

USDA Guarantee Loan Amount

Hello. I worked 7 long years to get my credit straight as well as my financial situation. I was so excited to finally reach mortage scores all over the 700 mark. I have no debt but I make $60,000 after taxes. I am the caretaker of my disabled brother and also his payee for his disabilty. But I was told his income would only count to qualify our household and not as far as how much loan we could get. He will not be on the mortagage. So a friend of mine was telling me I would only qualify at most for $200,000 which won't help because I'm in a very high cost area where home start at $400,000. I would like to know if this is true before I waste my time and apply. As you can imagine I am very crushed but that's life. Is there any possible way they would approve me for at least $400,000 or should I just give up and be content to live in my apartment forever. I feel as if all of my hard work is down the drain

14 REPLIES 14
VAMortgageGuy
Regular Contributor

Re: USDA Guarantee Loan Amount

@RLZQ0581 wrote:

Hello. I worked 7 long years to get my credit straight as well as my financial situation. I was so excited to finally reach mortage scores all over the 700 mark. I have no debt but I make $60,000 after taxes. I am the caretaker of my disabled brother and also his payee for his disabilty. But I was told his income would only count to qualify our household and not as far as how much loan we could get. He will not be on the mortagage. So a friend of mine was telling me I would only qualify at most for $200,000 which won't help because I'm in a very high cost area where home start at $400,000. I would like to know if this is true before I waste my time and apply. As you can imagine I am very crushed but that's life. Is there any possible way they would approve me for at least $400,000 or should I just give up and be content to live in my apartment forever. I feel as if all of my hard work is down the drain

Since you are your brother's caretaker and the payee, that income can be counted as effective income provided it will continue for at least 3 years. Also, if the income is not taxed, we can gross it up 25%.

Message 2 of 15
RLZQ0581
Established Member

Thank you so much for your reply. At least now I feel I can give it a shot and see how it goes.  

Message 3 of 15
VAMortgageGuy
Regular Contributor

You're welcome.

Message 4 of 15
RLZQ0581
Established Member

Hello. I am working with a lender now and he is not metioning anything about grossing up and also said I cannot use my brother's income unless he applies with me which I didn't want to do because I know his credit score is low and I told the lender this but he still wants to plug my brother's information in just to see" is what he said. He said all of my information is fine but I most likely won't qualify for more than $230,000 on my income which sucks because there are no houses where I live under $350,000. I'm wondering if I should try another lender or just give up for the time being.

Message 5 of 15
rileydude
Valued Member

Get a different lender...SSDI, VA disability..all of those federal tax-exempt compensations are grossed up !!

Message 6 of 15
VAMortgageGuy
Regular Contributor

@RLZQ0581 wrote:

Hello. I am working with a lender now and he is not metioning anything about grossing up and also said I cannot use my brother's income unless he applies with me which I didn't want to do because I know his credit score is low and I told the lender this but he still wants to plug my brother's information in just to see" is what he said. He said all of my information is fine but I most likely won't qualify for more than $230,000 on my income which sucks because there are no houses where I live under $350,000. I'm wondering if I should try another lender or just give up for the time being.

@RLZQ0581 wrote:

Definitely need to ask another lender.

Message 7 of 15
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

If the income your brother receives is social security disability income then the below guidelines are what would apply.  You'll need to provide documentation that you are his legal guardian + the disability income verification letter from Social Security. 

Screenshot 2024-02-09 133238.png

Further, you can gross up any eligible income that isn't subject to federal taxes by an additional 25%.   So if it's $1k/mo of income not subject to federal taxes then it counts as $1,250/mo when it comes to qualifying.  Be prepared to provide tax returns to document what portion of the income isn't taxable.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 8 of 15
RLZQ0581
Established Member

Thanks everyone. I was able to apply the information given here and got a very generous pre approval amount and am now in the process of looking for a home in my area. I appreciate all of the help. 

Message 9 of 15
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@RLZQ0581 wrote:

Thanks everyone. I was able to apply the information given here and got a very generous pre approval amount and am now in the process of looking for a home in my area. I appreciate all of the help. 

Boom!  The myFICO forums save the day again.  Happy house hunting!

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.