cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better to refinance in six months, or wait a year?

tag
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Better to refinance in six months, or wait a year?

Before I ask my question, I'll provide the foundation for it:

• Early February we went into active house hunting mode by contacting a real estate agent and starting the pre-approval process with the mortgage broker our son works for. The broker is based in Florida and immediately started the process to be approved to write loans in Maryland. They ran our application past their in-house underwriting team and the result was we were way over-qualified to buy at the price point we're looking at, so a mortgage would be virtually guaranteed. They also told us they would to a mortgage for us at zero mark up and wouldn't run our credit until we found a place, assuming they got approved to work in Maryland.
  • On Friday the 19th a condominum went on the market which mostly met our criteria, but which had a significant amount of interest from many potential buyers; our daughter lives down the hall and viewed it for us and reported dozens of interested parties, and the Zillow listing was showing lots of traffic as well. Needless to say, given the scarcity of these units, we knew there was going to be a bidding war, and given the seller's agent announced the winning bid would be announced at 7:00 in the evening of Monday the 22nd, we knew we'd need to move fast. We contacted our son and told him to pull the trigger on the pre-approval and that's when we got the bad news; Maryland had not yet approved his company for doing business in the state yet.
  • On Saturday the 20th we contacted a broker our Realtor does lots of business with, filled out an application, uploaded our financials, and were given a pre-approval letter within an hour.  So far so good.
  • On Monday the 22nd the selling agent opened up the process for bidding; we put in a bid with automatic escalations to apoint high enough we were confident we'd win.
  • Our Realtor called just before seven and told us there had been over 60 offers placed on the unit and the selling agent was pushing back the time to announce the winner two hours.
  • Just before 9:00 that evening we got the bad news, we ended up second highest bid by a significant amount; another bid had automatic escalations set to a point $65,000 above our cap!  We declined to increase our bid.
  • While on our way to bed less than an hour later, our Realtor called us again and told us the seller liked our profile and offer better than the winning bid due to the lack of contingencies and our ability to close in less than three weeks (requested closing date is 10-May), and if we were willing to bump our offer up another $10,000, and bump our earnest money from $25,000 to $40,000, they'd sell to us. Done; we signed the contract.
  • The mortgage was approved on Thursday at 7.624%, a rate a bit higher than I was expecting, even in these volitial times.

Now to my question, given our credit scores will take a hit due to both the inquiries and the new mortgage; if interest rates drop in say six months, does it make sense to refinance immediately, or to wait until the new account and inquiries age to a year (which of course might see additional interest rate changes)?

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
keekers
Established Contributor

Re: Better to refinance in six months, or wait a year?

Well, you likely won't have to worry about it because it doesn't look likely that the rates will decline enough this year to warrant a refinance from 7ish %. Here's an article that goes into more detail and has a section specifically about refinancing:

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/mortgages/mortgage-interest-rates-forecast/

Message 2 of 6
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

If you wait a year lenders may have switched to Fico 10T and VS4. The change is scheduled for2025.

There is no evidence that inflation is dropping and another rate hike may happen. Odds for a rate drop this year appear low.

If you want a lower rate and less total interest payments, consider a 15 year loan vs 30 year when refinancing.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 3 of 6
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

If you wait a year lenders may have switched to Fico 10T and VS4. The change is scheduled for2025.

There is no evidence that inflation is dropping and another rate hike may happen. Odds for a rate drop this year appear low.

If you want a lower rate and less total interest payments, consider a 15 year loan vs 30 year when refinancing.

Concur a rate reduction is VERY unlikley this year and even talks about a possible rate increase isn't off the table.    It will be a few years until you see rates likely in the 5%'s again and wouldnt really bother  unless that was the case due to costs associated with it for a half point or whatever it might be lower would have to at leats be a point to even consider for me personally and likely more.  The market is what it is right now and you all knew that buying the house.  As mentioned the only way to get it slightly lower is doing a 15 year loan as mentioned.  Upper 7's you got seems a bit high as well should of been lower 7's I would of thought.  Enjoy you new place and pray for better financial situations sooner than later with regards to rates.

Message 4 of 6
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Thanks folks!

The good news is I'll be comfortable from a financial perspective for the duration of the current mortgage; I can wait until the rates get down to a point where it makes sense to refinance.  Regarding a 15 year mortgage simply for the sake of a lower rate; both of the mortgage brokers I've worked with recommended against that as I would be refinancing within the next few years anyway, so what's the point?

Regarding future rate drops, yeah, I agree, even if they go down this year, I doubt they'll go down enough to justify a refinance.  I'm just kind of annoyed at the timing of everything; had Maryland approved the mortgage company my son works for in time, they told me they were ready to give me a mortgage at 6.75%, that would have been nice, but to get this property, I had to move fast.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 5 of 6
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

I'm just kind of annoyed at the timing of everything; had Maryland approved the mortgage company my son works for in time, they told me they were ready to give me a mortgage at 6.75%, that would have been nice, but to get this property, I had to move fast.

Mortgage rates have been on the rise for the last 4-5 months (and especially in the last 3 weeks).  They hit a decades high in late October 2023, in the following 6 weeks they dropped by about 1.500%, stayed there for about a month, then since the beginning of February they've increased by about 1%.

Screenshot 2024-04-27 113251.png

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.