cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

charge off that didn't go to collections?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

charge off that didn't go to collections?

newbie here.  I have a charge off on a credit card (it was dumb, I learned my lesson, etc, etc), but my credit reports don't show up with a collections account on them for it.  it was a bank of america credit card and the account no longer shows up when I log in, and I have a collection agency calling, but just leaving those "call mr so and so's office".

I need the past due account to go away.  It's ok if it stays on my record as "settled", etc, for right now.  I know this isn't best in the long term, but I'm in a bit of a time crunch for a student loan, and I can't afford to wait forever.  I may be able to come up with enough for a PFD, if the company is willing to do somewhere in the range of 50%, which would be awesome, but at this point, I'm willing to take what I can get. 

my real question is:  who am I supposed to talk to to see about a settlement?  do I call the credit card company that doesn't say I have the account anymore, or this collections agency that may or may not have been sold the debt?  what I've read says that I shouldn't be calling them at all, but I don't want to be sending letters somewhere that's going to have no effect.

suggestions?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: charge off that didn't go to collections?

How old is the debt? Specifically, what's the DOFD (Date Of First Delinquency). It's usually the date when it would have gone 120 days late. If you don't know, what's your best guess?
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

it's newer than I like to admit- about a year?
Message 3 of 5
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like it is in collections... but the CA is not reporting yet. Call BofA and see if you can neg a PFD. I am guessing they won't now that the CA is calling in which case you need a PFD with the CA. Just make sure your PFD agreement stipulates that all TLs associated with the account be deleted.

Good luck!
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

nerdgrrl wrote:
I have a collection agency calling, but just leaving those "call mr so and so's office".

It may still be inhouse BOA collections department and not an outside CA. Call BOA, not the CA calling (just in case it is an outside CA whom you don't wanna talk with just yet), but do NOT give them bank account numbers or anything over the phone. Get something in writing from them for a PFD.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.