cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a charge-off be reported twice on the same account?

tag
Datgirl
Established Member

Can a charge-off be reported twice on the same account?

Please help - I had a charge-off reported on an account 10/05 and it now also showing charged off 5/07.  The charge-off is showing twice on the same credit line on my Experian credit report. 

Will someone explain what is happening here?

Thanks
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can a charge-off be reported twice on the same account?

Touchy situation with charge offs.  I had CapOne reapply the charge off, and my score was hurt by it.  I disputed the reapplied CO, and they took it off.  I've heard from others that companies sometimes reapply seemingly out of the blue for no reason, and that I should monitor closely so I can take action if they do.  My experience with CapOne is that they used reporting after the ChargeOff to keep it freshing and impacting my score.  I surmised that it was done to incentivize me to pay them off.  It worked, and I did.

You might be a candidate for PFD if the debt is still owed.
Message 2 of 8
Datgirl
Established Member

Thanks for the response.  What is PFD?  My score was on a steady rise until this happened.

Message 3 of 8
Raine
Established Contributor

PFD means "Pay For Delete". You can check out guides to common acronyms like these in this thread. Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 8
Datgirl
Established Member

Thanks - anyone have information on the process for "Pay for Delete"?

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Datgirl wrote:
Thanks - anyone have information on the process for "Pay for Delete"?

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Datgirl wrote:
Please help - I had a charge-off reported on an account 10/05 and it now also showing charged off 5/07.  The charge-off is showing twice on the same credit line on my Experian credit report. 

If Cap 1 is double reporting the same account, dispute as inaccurate with the CRAs.

If it's two different accounts, then they can legally report both--presuming everything they report is accurate.

If one TL is with Cap 1, and the other is with the latest CA to whom they've given the debt, then a TL from Cap 1 and another from the latest CA can be reported--again, presuming everything they report is accurate.

Message 7 of 8
Datgirl
Established Member

This is great - Thanks

The debt is from a CA Stallings financial for a utility account.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.