Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penfed

tag
Snook_on_the_Line
Regular Contributor

Penfed

So I was thinking about opening a high yield savings, checking, and cd / money market accounts with a major credit union and parking a few thousand bucks there and letting the interest and my relationship with the cu build up for while while I wait for my my last derogatory to fall off my reports.  

I did a quick google search and noticed Penfed only seems to have branches in the dc area.     Do they accept people from the rest of the country?

Starting Score:FICO8s 505ex, 508 eq&tu
Current Score:FICO8s 758ex,752tu,766eq
Goal Score: 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Current cards:
Cap1 platinum 200
Cap1 Walmart 1500
Credit one Amex 550
Mission lane visa 400
Lowe’s 30,000
Rebuilding since 12/2021

Always pif, never late
0/24 on inq’s & new accounts
AAoA 2.2years
All time highs (fico8) :

Formerly known as @44456009a
My FIs. WF & AMEX
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

Re: Penfed

Yes they do. They pay 3% on their high yield.

Dcu pays 6% on the first $1000.

Message 2 of 14
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Yes, PenFed is a national credit union.

I have a few thousand there, but the bulk of my savings (down payment money for a new house) is split between a CapitalOne savings account  which pays 4.35% and a TD Bank savings account which pays 4.00%

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 3 of 14
keekers
Established Contributor

There are branches outside of DC. There's one down the road from me and I'm in Texas.

Message 4 of 14
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

@Snook_on_the_Line  The link below is to depositaccounts.com which will help find credit unions or banks in your  area.

https://www.depositaccounts.com/ 

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 5 of 14
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

@Horseshoez  I use cap1 too. One of my fidelity accounts pays 5%, I think it's bloom.  I keep funds in both, in case of an ACH problem. Fidelity uses plaid to link accounts and it's failed at least once. Sometimes when churning deposit accounts I need to Smurf some money on short notice.

"Fidelity go" managed fund is doing great, but there's no guarantee. I put the $100 bribe they paid me to open bloom in it in September, it's up to $110, today.

Message 6 of 14
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@FicoMike0 wrote:

@Horseshoez  I use cap1 too. One of my fidelity accounts pays 5%, I think it's bloom.  I keep funds in both, in case of an ACH problem. Fidelity uses plaid to link accounts and it's failed at least once. Sometimes when churning deposit accounts I need to Smurf some money on short notice.

"Fidelity go" managed fund is doing great, but there's no guarantee. I put the $100 bribe they paid me to open bloom in it in September, it's up to $110, today.

Today I noticed CapOne lowered their interest rate to 4.25%.  I'm not going to make any moves until I close on my new home (assuming we find something we like), and then I'll worry about moving money around for the longer term.  Smiley Happy

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 7 of 14
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

Last I looked CapOne was paying 4.3. gotta watch them. I keep $1000 in dcu for the 6%, not really worth the trouble. I joined them when looking for a ssl. Turns out they don't maintain the loan term when prepaying. Not of much interest with a mortgage.

Message 8 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Snook_on_the_Line wrote:

So I was thinking about opening a high yield savings, checking, and cd / money market accounts with a major credit union and parking a few thousand bucks there and letting the interest and my relationship with the cu build up for while while I wait for my my last derogatory to fall off my reports.  

I did a quick google search and noticed Penfed only seems to have branches in the dc area.     Do they accept people from the rest of the country?

Yes they do.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 9 of 14
Snook_on_the_Line
Regular Contributor

@keekers wrote:
There are branches outside of DC. There's one down the road from me and I'm in Texas.

I just looked on the Penfed website and it seems there is a brick and mortar branch in Florida 

it's In fort Walden beach by Elgin Air Force base.   Literally as far as you can get from my house and still be in Florida.   Google maps says it's a nine hour drive   

Starting Score:FICO8s 505ex, 508 eq&tu
Current Score:FICO8s 758ex,752tu,766eq
Goal Score: 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Current cards:
Cap1 platinum 200
Cap1 Walmart 1500
Credit one Amex 550
Mission lane visa 400
Lowe’s 30,000
Rebuilding since 12/2021

Always pif, never late
0/24 on inq’s & new accounts
AAoA 2.2years
All time highs (fico8) :

Formerly known as @44456009a
My FIs. WF & AMEX
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.