Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paperless?

tag
Shmike
Regular Contributor

Re: Paperless?

Looks like I got some cards to acquire LOL I appreciate the insight! I'm currently gardening 3 months in I'm probably going to go for at least another six possibly 9. Scores are strong but I have quite a few inquiries in a short amount of time, hence the gardening. But I'll have to look into some of those cards you mentioned. Thanks very much

@ptatohed wrote:

@Shmike wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

I've been offered money a few times to go paperless so I'm holding out on the other bank to make the same offer.  Smiley LOL

Smart! Hey just out of curiosity I see you sock drawer-ed your Savior one what do you use for restaurants and groceries? Thanks 

Yes, retired the Savor but I want to keep 3% options open in case  AOD gets nerfed so I I put a little spend on it every 6 or so months.  I always try to get at least 5% for rest's and groc.  It's not always the same card each quarter.  I'll use a 5% rotator, I may use a citi CC if no other rotator has 5% that quarter, or I'll use my citi SYW MC if it has a spending offer which is quite often.  SYW will often give a 10% statement credit for, say, $700 spend, per month, for gas/groc/dine which makes the return approx 15/13/13%.  We also do a lot of grocery shopping at Target or WalMart so we use our 5% Red Card and Cap 1 WM cards.  

FICO Score 8 as of 2/17/24:
Message 11 of 20
FlaDude
Established Contributor

I went paperless years ago. I figure not having paper statements in the postal system or my mailbox makes one less avenue for identity theives to get info on me. Also a lot less shredding every month so I don't have sensitive info in my trash or recycling.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 12 of 20
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@FlaDude wrote:

I went paperless years ago. I figure not having paper statements in the postal system or my mailbox makes one less avenue for identity theives to get info on me. Also a lot less shredding every month so I don't have sensitive info in my trash or recycling.

Speaking of the USPS and financial documents; back in 2021 I changed jobs and opted to move my not insignificant 401(k) over to the financial institution managing the funds for my new company; unfortunately the new institution was somehow incapable of accepting a wire for the money and insisted on a paper check.  Yeah, the check never made it, the second check never made it as well, and when the third showed up via courier, the folks in Receiving refused to sign for it.  I don't remember the specifics, but somehow the fourth attempt to transfer the funds was finally accepted.  My annoyance was not only the six weeks it took between when my funds were divested in my previous account to when they were invested in my new account, but also the fact the stock market was on a tear for those six weeks and I figure I lost something over $20,000 in growth.

Now, three years later I'm waiting for a large check, which was supposedly sent to my attorney last Thursday, and it has yet to show up.  Color me paranoid (not my typical color), but I'm afraid there are some shenanigans going on at the USPS these days.  Things have definitely gotten to the point where I don't want ANY financial information to be sent via the mail.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 13 of 20
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Well, all my fussing about the current check I've been waiting for was for naught; it showed up today.  Kind of hard to believe a check from Hartford, CT to Andover, MA took 7 days.

Message 14 of 20
Tdatb64
New Contributor

Always paper statements when I can get 'em. I prefer tangible things and have far more confidence in the security of my mail than I do in the security of internet-connected computer systems. I keep all my statements, like I do all my bills & tax records. Burn them after they reach a decade in age. That's how I was taught by my parents & grandparents.

Message 15 of 20
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Tdatb64 wrote:

Always paper statements when I can get 'em. I prefer tangible things and have far more confidence in the security of my mail than I do in the security of internet-connected computer systems. I keep all my statements, like I do all my bills & tax records. Burn them after they reach a decade in age. That's how I was taught by my parents & grandparents.

How much experience did/do your parents and grandparents have with HTTPS communications and computer security?  Smiley Tongue

Message 16 of 20
Tdatb64
New Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Tdatb64 wrote:

How much experience did/do your parents and grmandparents have with HTTPS communications and computer security?  Smiley Tongue

Them? None at all. Me? Let's just say that in my youth I got into all kinds of places I wasn't supposed to... Also, I can read the newspapers and data breaches are a constant occurance (Hi, AT&T). Electronic data is behind a software firewall. My paper data is locked in steel behind a wall of lead...

Message 17 of 20
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Tdatb64 wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Tdatb64 wrote:

How much experience did/do your parents and grmandparents have with HTTPS communications and computer security?  Smiley Tongue

Them? None at all. Me? Let's just say that in my youth I got into all kinds of places I wasn't supposed to... Also, I can read the newspapers and data breaches are a constant occurance (Hi, AT&T). Electronic data is behind a software firewall. My paper data is locked in steel behind a wall of lead...

That's an Apples to Road-Apples comparison.  You are just as exposed regardless because your financial institutions are still maintaining the data; data in motion and data at rest in your personal computers are plenty secure unless you don't maintain your virus software.

Message 18 of 20
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

I go paperless. Less to organize and store. I have a couple of accounts of real importance. I download the PDF statements and email them to my protonmail address. Just for backup.

Message 19 of 20
keekers
Established Contributor

I'm team paperless. If I need/want a hard copy it's there for me to get but otherwise it's less work for everyone involved.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.