cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anything fun I can do now that my FICO scores have exceeded 810?

tag
JNesbit89
Contributor

Anything fun I can do now that my FICO scores have exceeded 810?

My Experian finally updated; I am at 816. And my Equifaq one is 826. Idk what the final one is.

But should I do anything? Maybe ask for a credit limit increase or get a new card?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Anything fun I can do now that my FICO scores have exceeded 810?

@JNesbit89 wrote:

My Experian finally updated; I am at 816. And my Equifaq one is 826. Idk what the final one is.

But should I do anything? Maybe ask for a credit limit increase or get a new card?

Congratulations.

Well there's never any harm in asking for a soft pull CLI.

As to getting a new card, it will of course ding your scores. So it depends on what your idea of fun is Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 2 of 18
keekers
Established Contributor

Congrats! I dream of hitting the 800 club one day.

Message 3 of 18
JNesbit89
Contributor

Thank you! I wasn't sure how much of a ding it would be. Is it a larger ding or smaller ding the better the score, or varies? I am with Citi bank I believe there is a way to check if they do a soft or hard pull..

Message 4 of 18
FlaDude
Established Contributor

I know some people request CLIs for sport. I'm a bit guilty myself, although a lot of my attempts were when I was carrying some pretty serious balances and could have really used them to improve my UTI/scores at the time. No harm in trying SP CLI requests but if it is not going to change your UTI, it is just for fun.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 5 of 18
Jordan23ww
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your 800 plus scores!  You can always go for some soft pull limit increases if you like. Going for new cards is an option too, just know there's a chance your scores may dip a little. I found once I got over  800 on Experian that score didn't move too much when adding a new card. Plus I'd usually regain the lost points within 2 to 3 months. 

Message 6 of 18
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@JNesbit89 wrote:

Congratulations, I know nothing about your credit file or what you consider important. Therefore, hard to give advice. 

I did the CLI thing for three years - both SP and HP. The 2 EQ and 1 TU HPs only had a trivial impact on score. It was fun, more than doubled total CL without adding a card. Long term the higher CLs have been useful but, enough is enough. Otherwise, you could use your great credit to get a loan to add a maintenance free deck on your house along with a paver patio and some landscaping.

The most fun for me, after maxing out my Fico scores for years, was seeing how low my score could go without suffering a derog. Started a thread:  "How low will my scores go".  I was able to temporarily drop one of my Fico scores by over 100 points (EX Auto score 2: 861 => 738) just by paying off mortgage, allowing all cards to report a balance - one up to 54% -and increasing AG UT to 16%. Score rebounded quickly to over 800 when UT and cards reporting were reduced. Still no open loan.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 7 of 18
Traveler101
Established Contributor

Congratulations on the 800 club. As others have suggested, you could do some sp cli's if you would like without harm to your scores. Perhaps if there is a card you always wanted and never tried for, while you may take a dip in scores, it's temporary, and you can recover. That choice is yours, you worked for it and you earned it. Congratulations.

Message 8 of 18
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

congratulations! I just got two above 800 with a ssl. Ex is my holdout at 793. I'm thinking cli too. I've got all three frozen, so sp only.  I'm a sucker for subs, so I'll consider a new card if I see a good sub. Right now, I just opened a us b card with a $500 sub for $2000 spend in 4months. That will hold me back a while, but it won't take 4 months.

Message 9 of 18
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@JNesbit89 wrote:

Thank you! I wasn't sure how much of a ding it would be. Is it a larger ding or smaller ding the better the score, or varies? I am with Citi bank I believe there is a way to check if they do a soft or hard pull..

We would need to know a lot more about your profile to make a guesstimate.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.