Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Amex Credit Limit Increase

tag
WyomingJonMadeIt
New Visitor

No Amex Credit Limit Increase

Hello,

I have an amex blue account I recently upgraded to the preffered. This account has been open and in good standing since 2016. I have never received a credit limit increase. Account is still at $1,000. Ive closed accounts from 3 other banks that had limits in the $30k range. I recently tried and was told no online. Now it wont let me try again. Im at a 750 credit score, only debt is a mortgage that is in good standing. If i call amex will they give me a better response? Any tips? Thank you. 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

Re: No Amex Credit Limit Increase

I would think so. I opened the bce last June, they went $6000. Six months later they automatically upped it to $9000. I think my fico was 750-775.

Message 2 of 13
CreditPoor
Regular Contributor

What is your reported income?

How much spend do you put on the card?

Do you often carry balances?

Any derogatories?

This would be helpful 

Message 3 of 13
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

@CreditPoor wrote:

What is your reported income?

How much spend do you put on the card?

Do you often carry balances?

Any derogatories?

This would be helpful 

Yes, there must be something in your profile that is making Amex nervous.  Amex is usually one of the most generous lenders when it comes to CLIs.  Did you perhaps have some negative past relationship with Amex?  Also, the $1k starting limit in 2016 indicates that your approval was very marginal at that time.

May 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver [will be reassigned when new account starts reporting]
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 0 mos | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 4 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@WyomingJonMadeIt wrote:

Hello,

I have an amex blue account I recently upgraded to the preffered. This account has been open and in good standing since 2016. I have never received a credit limit increase. Account is still at $1,000. Ive closed accounts from 3 other banks that had limits in the $30k range. I recently tried and was told no online. Now it wont let me try again. Im at a 750 credit score, only debt is a mortgage that is in good standing. If i call amex will they give me a better response? Any tips? Thank you. 

When you get turned down for a CLI application, you're supposed to get an adverse action letter. Did you get a letter?  If so, what did it give as the reason(s) for the denial?

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 5 of 13
WyomingJonMadeIt
New Visitor

That was my first credit card in college. Ive had about 4 other fixed lines of credit from amex since then. Im down to two other fized from them. The checking account i have with them has more in it that the credit potential of all accounts. 

I do not currently keep any balance. Put about $800 a month on this card, pay it off constantly to keep it under $500. 

My income is reported at $145,000 a year. 

Never got the letter. 

No negatives, never had an issue. Used to have the amex green and gold, once put an $8k purchase on that. Paid it off same month. 

Really no credit issues. My monthly mortgage payment is twice this limit. 

Message 6 of 13
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

Amex isn't really known for "bucketing" cards like Cap1, but it seems odd that they won't budge on a CLI when you've had other positive lines of credit with them.  A deposit relationship doesn't seem to help with the credit card lending decisions at Amex.  Your stated income also doesn't seem to imply any high debt to income issues.

If you are open to the idea, it might be worth trying to apply for a new Amex credit card.  It will probably be a soft inquiry.  See if you are pre-approved for anything.  Amex allows credit limit reallocations, so that could be a workaround for you to increase the limit on your old card by moving some limit from a new card.

May 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver [will be reassigned when new account starts reporting]
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 0 mos | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 7 of 13
Barkius

I have a BCE that is stuck at $1000.

Otherwise I have a Gold plus a BBC and a BBP, both of which have around $10,000 CLs 🤔

Message 8 of 13
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Any prequals for other Amex cards?

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 9 of 13
WyomingJonMadeIt
New Visitor

I called amex and they declined me. They stated their reasoning was the citi bank card I had 8 grand on the begginning of the year. Citi had given me a $8k no interest for 2 years offer. When the 2 years expired in november citi raised interest to 45% and started lowering credit limit $200 a month. Never missed any payments but i was paying them about $700 a month for an account to show i was $200 over credit limit every report. So i harassed them back a bit until they agreed to give me 6 months of no interest to pay it off. I voluntarily closed it, and my other 3 citi card accounts. My other post on here shows i paid off $55k of card and unsecured loan balances last month. I still have $1,500 to pay off on this one citi account. I wonder if amex will be happy once that is done. I will never do business with citi again. 

Amex agreed to submit my credit limit increase for a person to review after i explained 8 years of no missed payments, never got an increase, monthly expendured exceeding their limit, etc. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.