Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paperless?

tag
Shmike
Regular Contributor

Paperless?

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to going paperless? I feel like it's the right thing to do environmentally I suppose, but I also feel like I want a hard copy of my statements every month. I ran into it with a Capital One a few times where I wasn't able to access my paperless digital statement. Has anyone else found this with any other bank? Does anyone else prefer getting the physical statement monthly? Thanks

FICO Score 8 as of 2/17/24:
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: Paperless?

I go exclusively paperless, good for the environment, some bank charge for paper statements, less clutter, and while I keep my computer well organized, I cannot make the same claim about my office and physical paper.  Smiley Tongue

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 2 of 20
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I have no issues with paperless, other than it takes some additional effort to go in and download every month / quarterly, etc.. to get a hardcopy / PDF.   I think some banks and CUs default new accounts / customers into paperless now or charge a fee to receive via snail mail, so I expect the paperless trend to continue, especially at the rate that the price of first class postage keeps going up.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 20
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

I've been paperless for several years. While I'm not Mr. Environmentalist I didn't like the clutter, i.e. destroying statements. I seldom download a statement since I can see all transactions on the site. 

Message 4 of 20
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

I'm paperless for all my CCs and most of my banking (I have one account that still sends paper statements which can come in handy when asked for additional proof of address).

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
May 2024 FICO 8:
May 2024 FICO 9:
Message 5 of 20
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

I've been offered money a few times to go paperless so I'm holding out on the other banks to make the same offer.  Smiley LOL

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 6 of 20
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Shmike wrote:

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to going paperless? I feel like it's the right thing to do environmentally I suppose, but I also feel like I want a hard copy of my statements every month. I ran into it with a Capital One a few times where I wasn't able to access my paperless digital statement. Has anyone else found this with any other bank? Does anyone else prefer getting the physical statement monthly? Thanks

If you want a hard copy, then you should just go with what makes you feel comfortable.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 7 of 20
Shmike
Regular Contributor

Yeah that's what I figure.. 

Message 8 of 20
Shmike
Regular Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

I've been offered money a few times to go paperless so I'm holding out on the other bank to make the same offer.  Smiley LOL

Smart! Hey just out of curiosity I see you sock drawer-ed your Savior one what do you use for restaurants and groceries? Thanks 

Message 9 of 20
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@Shmike wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

I've been offered money a few times to go paperless so I'm holding out on the other bank to make the same offer.  Smiley LOL

Smart! Hey just out of curiosity I see you sock drawer-ed your Savior one what do you use for restaurants and groceries? Thanks 

Yes, retired the Savor but I want to keep 3% options open in case  AOD gets nerfed so I I put a little spend on it every 6 or so months.  I always try to get at least 5% for rest's and groc.  It's not always the same card each quarter.  I'll use a 5% rotator, I may use a citi CC if no other rotator has 5% that quarter, or I'll use my citi SYW MC if it has a spending offer which is quite often.  SYW will often give a 10% statement credit for, say, $700 spend, per month, for gas/groc/dine which makes the return approx 15/13/13%.  We also do a lot of grocery shopping at Target or WalMart so we use our 5% Red Card and Cap 1 WM cards.  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.