cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony closed my Amazon Store Card for doing what synchrony rep told me to do..

tag
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

Re: Synchrony closed my Amazon Store Card for doing what synchrony rep told me to do..

Sorry about the raw deal.

Message 11 of 21
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Re: Synchrony closed my Amazon Store Card for doing what synchrony rep told me to do..

@frankjaeger wrote:

Amazon Store Card. No missed payments. $6,000 limit.

Long story short, I submitted a payment for the wrong amount. First thing in the morning, was not fully awake, whatever. I called them later that day to cancel it and they told me it was too late and the payment was already processing. I was then advised by the rep to call my bank and put a stop payment on it. I asked the rep if that would have any repercussions for my account like fees or derogatory marks or anything like that, and was assured it was fine. So I called my bank and placed the stop payment, and then immediately made another payment for the correct amount.

Fast forward three weeks and my account has been closed "due to a stop payment on the account." When I called them and advised them of the situation, the "manager" stated that he was completely on my side and the rep should have properly informed me of what would happen. However, he is still unable to reinstate my account.

Is there anyone who has been through something similar and was able to have their account reinstated? I use my Amazon card weekly and pay it off monthly. I've been nothing but a loyal customer and now I'm being screwed because I followed the direction of a synchrony employee.

I guess I am confused by "payment for the wrong amount".  If it was too low, send in another.  If it was too high, just let it go and have a negative balance?   Why the stop payment?    

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 12 of 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

I guess I am confused by "payment for the wrong amount".  If it was too low, send in another.  If it was too high, just let it go and have a negative balance?   Why the stop payment?    

I had the same thought.  But one reason might be if it was way too much and the overpayment would cause budget issues for other payments (or you just don't want to give the issuer a free float for a large amount)

Message 13 of 21
frankjaeger
New Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

$2,000 instead of $200. Like I said, I just woke up and was still half asleep but saw the reminder on my phone to pay. Realized later in the day that I put an extra 0.

Message 14 of 21
DoppelgangerD
Contributor

@frankjaeger wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

$2,000 instead of $200. Like I said, I just woke up and was still half asleep but saw the reminder on my phone to pay. Realized later in the day that I put an extra 0.

Yeah there's something messed up about Synchrony's system that would even allow you to pay that much.

Multiple times in the past I've accidentally made dual payments because their system doesn't show pending payments and doesn't block you from making double payments or ones that are too big.

That's not just with the Amazon card either.

On the other hand, I don't mind sometimes if I want to pay off a charge quickly and don't want to wait out the 2-5 day pending period to resolve.

However letting you accidentally pay thousands extra is a bit ridiculous.

It's also ridiculous that they closed your account without even looking into it.

Message 15 of 21
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

They do this regularly and there are lots of examples in various forums. Do a favor to yourself and get another 5% card for Amazon elsewhere (Chase Amazon, Affinity Cash Rewards).

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 16 of 21
frankjaeger
New Contributor

Wish I could get the Chase Amazon but Chase was included in my BK four years ago and still can't get an approval from them.

Another reason it really bugs me that they closed this account. It was one of my first ones post-BK and now it's closed.

Message 17 of 21
titancylinder
Regular Contributor

@frankjaeger wrote:

Wish I could get the Chase Amazon but Chase was included in my BK four years ago and still can't get an approval from them.

Another reason it really bugs me that they closed this account. It was one of my first ones post-BK and now it's closed.

I opened a Carecredit card, but didn't use it and 4 months later, they closed it due to inactivity. Syncrony is an odd ball one. But don't take it personally, just because they closed the card, doesn't mean you can't get it back. Just wait 6 months - year and reapply. Chances are, they will give it back to you. 

I will preface this and say, don't be reliant on the cards from them because you never know when they will close the account. I think it's their computer closing the accounts and not a human. Because it just makes NO sense. They close accounts on people with perfect scores, they close accounts on challenged scores, it doesn't matter.

Coming Soon
Message 18 of 21
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

@titancylinder wrote:

I opened a Carecredit card, but didn't use it and 4 months later, they closed it due to inactivity. Syncrony is an odd ball one. But don't take it personally, just because they closed the card, doesn't mean you can't get it back. Just wait 6 months - year and reapply. Chances are, they will give it back to you. 

If the OP re-applies again, they can do it again. So, the best recommendation might be do NOT re-apply for the card while find a similar card from another lender. There are plenty of cards that can be good for Amazon (Chase 5%, Affinity 5%, Amex BCE 3%, BOA CCR 3%, etc).

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 19 of 21
markhs777
Regular Contributor

Sorry about that mistake. You must have been really sleepy to write thousand instead of hundred. IMO no big loss and little impact on ur credit. A stop payment in itself is not negative.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.