Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best debit card for paying down a credit card

tag
GatorCowboyLion
Regular Contributor

Best debit card for paying down a credit card

This is a question specifically about for paying credit card bills so I posted here. What are the most lucrative debit cards for paying off a credit card. I know 1% cards exist, but I'm curious if any of you all have done some research. Thanks!This is a question specifically about for paying credit card bills so I posted here. What are the most lucrative debit cards for paying off a credit card. I know 1% cards exist, but I'm curious if any of you all have done some research. Thanks!

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Re: Best debit card for paying down a credit card

I  replied in the other thread and you bring up a great point GCL.  The ability to add additional CB on any credit payment is huge. 

I'm not saying it's the best, I'm just saying it's what I have but I have the upgrade Rewards Checking Plus debit card which gives 1% minimum and 2% on certain categories (with hoops for the 2%).  upgrade recently raised their HYSA APR from a respectable 5.07% to an even better 5.21% so it's not a bad place to park money.  https://www.upgrade.com/rewards-checking-plus/

We should start a thread listing all cards that accept debit card payment. 

I have not yet tried to pay my citi SYW MC with my debit card yet but I will!  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 2 of 24
GatorCowboyLion
Regular Contributor

Very interesting. Thank you @ptatohed! Do you know whether an EFT push from another FI checking account will count as direct deposit? I would say that this has got to be a very strong contender, I have not seen another account that has that good of a debit card with that high of an APR.

Message 3 of 24
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@GatorCowboyLion wrote:

Very interesting. Thank you @ptatohed! Do you know whether an EFT push from another FI checking account will count as direct deposit? I would say that this has got to be a very strong contender, I have not seen another account that has that good of a debit card with that high of an APR.

You know, I just read the fine print again and after 60 days it goes from 1% everyday and 2% in some categories (with direct deposit) to 0.5% and 1%.  Bummer.  I actually did contact customer support last week to ask your question GCL but I have not heard back.  Usually a bank wants direct deposits via employer paycheck (or similar).  Sometimes just an ACH will suffice.  In the upgrade fine print it just says 'direct deposits' so it could go either way.  I'll let you know if they reply.  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 4 of 24
Wingly

Affinity Debit card is 1%.
Coinbase debit card (nerfed) used to give 4% in XLM which I converted to cash ASAP.

I am able to pay both of my Citi cards with debit cards through phone.

Has anyone tried paying Citi cards with Visa gift cards?

Message 5 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Wingly wrote:

Affinity Debit card is 1%.
Coinbase debit card (nerfed) used to give 4% in XLM which I converted to cash ASAP.

Yes (well, not personally), it's a liquidation method used by some in MS.   Seems to have got very problematic with some cards (MC) whereas some Visas work.

Paying Citi cards with debit cards including prepaid debit cards - FlyerTalk Forums

Check near the end as it is a multi-year thread

Message 6 of 24
kremonis
Regular Contributor

Finding cash back debit cards are easy. The problem is finding one with uncapped or a cap you can work with and is compatible everywhere.

For examble, the Discoverer cash back debit card is capped at $3000k/month I think and you cannot use it on Paypal bill pay and get cash back.

Message 7 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kremonis wrote:

For examble, the Discoverer cash back debit card is capped at $3000k/month I think and you cannot use it on Paypal bill pay and get cash back.

$3000K a month (i.e. $3M) should be more than enough!

Message 8 of 24
Bockrocker
Regular Contributor

@Wingly wrote:

Unfortunately it's changing all the time and rarely for the better.  Gift cards you can purchase yourself, like Vanilla Visa/SecureSpend MC at Walmart or the $200 BHN cards often on sale at Staples will almost never work for anything interesting.  More likely gift cards you get as a reward from stuff like Swagbucks or Topcashback etc ("corporate gift cards") will work for these.

Message 9 of 24
kremonis
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@kremonis wrote:

$3000K a month (i.e. $3M) should be more than enough!

@longtimelurker 

It should have $3000 a month.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.