Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Preferred Approved with a Bad Score

tag
dhop08
Established Member

Chase Sapphire Preferred Approved with a Bad Score

Hey All, I just wanted to make a post about an anomaly. I've been banking with Chase bank for about 3 or 4 years now. I make about 65k a year depending on my bonuses at work. My credit score is very low due to carrying high balances on my cards. (90% utlization) I know its not smart at ALL to carry balances this high. However, I haven't missed a payment on anything in about 5 years. So my payment history is 100% ontime. My score is about 590.

I logged into my chase account to check my account balance over the weekend. There was a notification on the page that said I was preaproved for the chase freedom flex, freedom unlimted, and the chase sapphire preferred. I decided to give it a try and I WAS APPROVED for the chase sapphire preferred with a $5000.00 limit.  I keep thinking that this has to be a glitch or something. Previously after a year when I got with chase banking, I applied for the chase sapphire preferred with my score was a 667 and very low credit utilization (<10%) and I was denied in 2022. I just figured that I would try again once I pay my debt off.

Its crazy that I was approved with a bad score and high utlization rate. The only reason I can guess that I was approved was for my income that is direct deposited in my chase account and my payment history.

So if you want a good chase card and your score is low. Just use the checking account consistently at least 3 or 4 years and you might get a suprise one day like I did.

Don't beat up on me regarding my score, I plan on start back paying my cards off this year.

Equifax 587 Goal:720 all 3 by December 2024
Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred Approved with a Bad Score

@dhop08 wrote:

Don't beat up on me regarding my score, I plan on start back paying my cards off this year.

No beating up on anyone, many (most?) of us have been down the high utilization road; contratulations on the approval and paying off your cards.

Chapter 13:

• Burned: AMEX, Chase, Citi, Wells Fargo, and South County Bank (now Bank of Southern California)
  • Filed: 26-Feb-2015
  • MoC: 01-Mar-2015
  • 1st Payment (posted): 23-Mar-2015
  • Last Payment (posted): 07-Feb-2020
  • Discharged: 04-Mar-2020
  • Closed: 23-Jun-2020

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!

In the proverbial sock drawer:
Message 2 of 34
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

Very nice approval , Congratulations on you CSP !

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 3 of 34
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@dhop08 wrote:

Hey All, I just wanted to make a post about an anomaly. I've been banking with Chase bank for about 3 or 4 years now. I make about 65k a year depending on my bonuses at work. My credit score is very low due to carrying high balances on my cards. (90% utlization) I know its not smart at ALL to carry balances this high. However, I haven't missed a payment on anything in about 5 years. So my payment history is 100% ontime. My score is about 590.

I logged into my chase account to check my account balance over the weekend. There was a notification on the page that said I was preaproved for the chase freedom flex, freedom unlimted, and the chase sapphire preferred. I decided to give it a try and I WAS APPROVED for the chase sapphire preferred with a $5000.00 limit.  I keep thinking that this has to be a glitch or something. After a year when I got with chase, I applied for the chase sapphire preferred with my score was a 667 and very low credit utilization (<10%) and I was denied in 2022. I just figured that I would try again once I pay my debt off.

Its crazy that I was approved with a bad score and high utlization rate. The only reason I can guess that I was approved was for my income that is direct deposited in my chase account and my payment history.

So if you want a good chase card and your score is low. Just use the checking account consistently at least 3 or 4 years and you might get a suprise one day like I did.

Congratulations on the approval, and thanks for the background data. I must say that it gives me hope Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 4 of 34
gorgon
Established Contributor

Wow! Congrats on your approval.

Message 5 of 34
coreyb80
Super Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@dhop08 wrote:

I logged into my chase account to check my account balance over the weekend. There was a notification on the page that said I was preaproved for the chase freedom flex, freedom unlimted, and the chase sapphire preferred. I decided to give it a try and I WAS APPROVED for the chase sapphire preferred with a $5000.00 limit.  I keep thinking that this has to be a glitch or something. After a year when I got with chase, I applied for the chase sapphire preferred with my score was a 667 and very low credit utilization (<10%) and I was denied in 2022. I just figured that I would try again once I pay my debt off.

Congratulations on the approval, and thanks for the background data. I must say that it gives me hope Smiley Happy

I definitely agree with this sentiment of giving me hope in the coming years.  Congrats on the approval OP!

Message 6 of 34
TSlop
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your approval!

Message 7 of 34
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your approval! Good luck!!

Message 8 of 34
nytokyobred79
Valued Contributor

A big congrats on your approval and success story. 

Avoided credit cards after ruining my financial health but got back into the game in 2019 after a 20 year hiatus
Total Revolving CL- $205, 500 | Order of Opened Cards
Delta SkyMiles Blue- SL-$1K | CL- $22.6K
(pc'd from SkyMiles Platinum back to Blue)
Delta SkyMiles Reserve- SL- $10K | CL- $20K
Chase Sapphire Reserve- SL $20K | CL- $39K
Cap 1 Venture Rewards- SL $10K | CL $ 20.5K
Amex Everyday Preferred- SL $13.1K | CL $10K ( moved some limits around )
Chase Freedom Unlimited: SL $23.4K| CL $36.8K
BOA Unlimited Cash SL: $20.8K| CL $10.8K(moved some limits around)
BOA Travel Rewards SL: $20.8K | CL $5.8K(moved some limits around)
Amex Blue Cash Everyday SL: $10K
Amex Green Card: NPSL / POT: 17K
BOA BankAmericard: SL: $5K | CL: $30K
Message 9 of 34
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the approval!

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.