cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequency of opening new lines of credit

tag
IWO

Frequency of opening new lines of credit

How often can you open credit cards without it becoming an issue on the recent inquiries portion of the FICO scoring model?

I have recently opened two cards, amazon via commenity and a CU visa.... 3 inquiries in last 30 days.

should i cool it for another 60 days before opening a new line?

my FICO only dropped two points from the 3 inquiries. I assume it will bounce back if i dont apply for anything for a couple months. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

Re: Frequency of opening new lines of credit

Really depends on what lenders you're looking at, as well as your credit profile, income, etc... Be better if you can give more details but, for argument sake, if it's squeaky clean with high scores of 780+, I wouldn't go for anything else for at least 90 days... Otherwise, 6 months minimum. Dont' forget you're also going to be taking hits for the new accounts when they're reported 

Message 2 of 9
IWO

Eq is 703

TU is 689

income is 199k

Message 3 of 9
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

Good income, but like I said, you're going to be taking hits for the new accounts, so I'd wait and see where that all settles. Personally, I'd wait until I was 700+ again before thinking about any more new accounts, how ever long that takes. You can always play the AZE0 game and go for CLIs on your existing accounts in the meantime. In this game, when people can't put the brakes on themselves, the system will put them on with toy limit approvals or just outright denials. 

Message 4 of 9
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

You should cool it for 12 months!

Your score is going to be under 700, therefore any new cards that you get would have toy limits or denial.

With your score, you don't want to be labeled as "Credit Seeker" and remain with "Poor Credit" for next couple of years.

The best thing you can do for your credit is to garden for a year and let positive history report. Once your score is mid 700, then go after a better card that you can build on.

Good luck.

Message 5 of 9
IWO

Joe thanks so much for this! I have recently paid off all of my cards last december and am maintaining 5-10% usage, soon to be below 5% with the new credit lines added and staying unused. 

I am familair with the CLI acronym but what does AZEO mean? 

I will give it 6 months and a 730+ on all bureaus before I look to add a couple more. I am 36 years old and up until december of last year was running 85-90% usage on my credit lines for about 4 years, then decided to do a massive paydown from 22k total credit lines to $0 balance accross the board. Used cash for this. 

I am unable to setup a signature yet but i do run the amex platinum since I travel so much for work I leverage it all the time. Curious though, I have had the platinum card since 2017 and quickly ran into a posted limit of 5k about 3 months after acquiring it. the 5k limit has never left and i have inquired with amex a couple times over the last 6 years to see if they would remove it but they declined. Up until this january, i have not been above 690 since the time i acquired the platinum card (720 then). I have been an amex member since 2007, in college, and from 2007-2018 I had the blue clear card. (closed it before i learned never to do that)

what do you think it will take for amex to remove the preset spending limit on my platinum card? couple years of being north of 720?

also what amount is considered a toy limit approval? anything 2500 or under? 

Message 6 of 9
IWO

thank you for the info Sam! much appreciated! i put some additional questions in my main reply that maybe you would be kind enough to weigh in on as well!
Message 7 of 9
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on paying down your debt and generally acting right with your new usage, nicely done!

AZE0 is all zero except one... only let one card (a revolver) report a small balance. Lots of threads here on the subject.

As far as your Amex dilemma I can only speculate that it's a combination of your score as well as past high usage/keeping high balances on your other accounts. They will continually SP your credit (which is usually ip to 60 day old data)... I'd just keep up what you've been doing and hopefully they'll eventually loosen the reins. 

Message 8 of 9
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Welcome to My FICO forums, @IWOSmiley Happy

Some of the discussion above was more focused on how much credit-seeking someone can do before it impacts approvals, which was one portion of your question.  But you were also asking about FICO impact on inquiries.  Unfortunately, there's no hard-and-fast rule on how much each inquiry will affect a profile since there are many variables.  FICO has multiple "score cards" for different types of credit profiles and then there are further differentiating factors such as AAoA (Average Age of Accounts), AoOA (Age of Oldest Account), number and types of accounts (revolving and installment such as auto or mortgage), and derogatory information to include collections, bankruptcy, or late payments.   A thin (younger or less developed profile) would generally have more of an impact from a new account or inquiry than a thicker, developed profile.   In either case, the FICO penalty increases with more inquiries, so less is better.  

Yes, the FICO penalty is temporary and FICO rises slowly as new accounts/inquiries age.  Even though they stay on your credit report for 24 months, they no longer are "scorable" (affect FICO) after 12 months.  You can read more or ask questions about the FICO effect in the >"Understanding FICO Scoring" sub-forum<.   

Don't confuse the impact on FICO with the probability of new card approval!  FICO is only one part of the approval equation, and sometimes you may get a denial even with high FICO!!

As a general rule-of-thumb, I recommend most consumers strive for a benchmark of no more than about one new account/inquiry every six months.  This will keep you within the majority of lender's tolerance for new accounts (such as Chase 5/24 or BofA 3/12) without having to track each one.  The higher velocity above that, the greater the chance for denials or lower "toy" limits as mentioned above.  That holds true for all credit profiles to some degree, but a mature credit profile is more resilient and may get away with a little more aggressive credit-seeking.  We see a lot of newer members who are trying diligently to rapidly increase their credit, and who push too hard.   Patience is the key.   We like to remind forum members that credit is a marathon, not a sprint. 

Toy limits aren't strictly defined, but IMO are typically $1000 or less.  But what happens, and I've seen this even with a mature profile, is that excessive credit seeking will result in lower limits than could otherwise be achieved with the same profile.  When I push too hard, I've watched my starting limits decrease and sometimes have even gotten denials with 800+ FICO, high income, and mature credit profile just because lenders were uncomfortable with my pace of new accounts.  So patience means that you'll get more "bang for the buck" on each hard inquiry+new account with better SLs on each one and less denials. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$900K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0 - SYCH - 65.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.