Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi AAdvantage Platinum 2ND Denial

tag
jarebearclark
New Visitor

Citi AAdvantage Platinum 2ND Denial

I've applied for this card twice, once in 2022 and once a few weeks ago, both denied. Here are the reasons:

- Your credit report shows a high amount of unused credit compared to your available credit lines

- Your credit report shows you have recently opened one or more accounts

- Your credit report shows insufficient credit history on accounts

- Your credit report shows too many recent inquiries

Really feel like this is mostly because I opened a RapidRewards Southwest card with Chase a month ago (I think on the previous denial, I had recently opened a United card with Chase--but that since has been closed). How long should I wait before reapplying? I don't plan to open any other cards before reapplying. Do I need to close any of my other accounts as regards the unused credit the report discusses?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Rogue46
Established Contributor

Re: Citi AAdvantage Platinum 2ND Denial

Citi is known to be inquiry/new account sensitive, Do you know how many you have on each bureau at the moment?

Message 2 of 6
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Very typical for Citi..  Least give it 6 months between accounts and you are likely to have a better chance.  Scores don't matter.  Iqnuiries and new accounts do matter to citi more than they use to 3-4 years back

Message 3 of 6
jarebearclark
New Visitor

Just this one inquiry/new account with Chase--that's it. My score is over 800 with each bureau.

Message 4 of 6
jarebearclark
New Visitor

That's what I figured--I might just go the Barclay's card. Only main difference is I don't get 2X miles with gas and restaurants with that one. Otherwise it has all the same benefits.

Message 5 of 6
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@jarebearclark wrote:

That's what I figured--I might just go the Barclay's card. Only main difference is I don't get 2X miles with gas and restaurants with that one. Otherwise it has all the same benefits.

Get barclay card as no min spend and still get bonus then circle back for citi card after year if can hold off for awhile on applying.  Barclay can be fairly rough as well on new accounts dont recall their rule if it is 6/24 accounts or what it is now.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.