cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase CSR vs Capital One Venture dilemma.

tag
vinster95
New Contributor

Chase CSR vs Capital One Venture dilemma.

Hey everyone. Back in October I was denied for a Chase Sapphire Preferred card. My scores were low 700s I believe. I really wanted the CSR though. The next 2 cards I want are the Chase Sapphire Reserve and the Capital One Venture card.

My scores updated on EX and EQ. I'm just waiting on TU to report and I’m applying for a card. 

Scores- EX 783, EQ 803, TU waiting (UTL 15 percent)

I heard Capital One is stingier in giving out cards to people with cards already. Something along those lines. I only have 1 EX inquiry at the moment. 

Does it make more sense for me to get the Venture card now and then go for the CSR later in the year or next year? This way I'm in with Capital One while I'm "newer." My highest revolving right now is 4k on a Dell acct. So I'm assuming Venture will be my highest limit now if approved. Would it look better to have that higher limit Venture for a while with a nice SL, and then go for the CSR, which is a minimum 10k SL, after about a year with a higher limit card?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

Re: Chase CSR vs Capital One Venture dilemma.

Why did Chase deny you? Where are you with 5/24? Capone is famous for the triple pull.

You mentioned csp and csr. You don't really want both, do you? You also want venture. All travel cards. I'm not up on all this, would you split travel spend between Chase and cap? I don't see the advantage.

Message 2 of 4
vinster95
New Contributor

I wasnt at 5/24. They denied me because Dell switched banks and reported twice so my UTL showed like 60 percent when it was really only like 20. And also my Chase acct went negative on accident right before it. I have Chase and TD bank accounts. I never use my Chase acct. I keep like 100 bucks in it. It was from when I was a kid. And I didnt realize the monthly fees kept adding up and it went negative. So when I called the reconsideration line they said those were the two reasons. So I was explained like Dell isnt accurate and you're not my main bank account. I didnt overdraft it myself, it was a fee I didnt realize and I proceeded to put 3000 in the account. And they just wouldnt approve the app and told me to try again in 6 months to a year. That was 6 months ago. 

So now I'm like is it worth it to just get the Venture now and just get the Chase next year? 

And to answer your question, no I don't want the CSP and CSR. I just did the CSP application thinking it would have a higher chance of approval and then just upgrade it in a year. 

The reason for the travel cards is because I don't really need a cashback card. I dont need the 500 bucks a year or whatever it will give me. So I'd rather just get a ton of points on travel cards, travel sign up bonuses, etc...

I might get an Amex Gold card for some rewards since they have 5x on groceries and stuff like that. I'm thinking about that down the road

Message 3 of 4
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Based on all you've told us, @vinster95, you have a much better chance of an (original $95 AF) Venture approval.   With your highest card at only $4K, you're likely to not be approved for the $5K to $10K needed for Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Venture X.   The original Venture can be approved more easily with a lower SL but still gives you the travel rewards you seek.  For travel redemptions at the lower end of the travel card spectrum, it's a pretty decent card.  With enough regular usage, it will grow well and that will help you qualify for those other travel cards later. 

I would give Chase longer than the 12 months to reset before you reapply.  And yes, Capital One will do the triple pull so letting those inquiries age will help your case anyway.   Capital One is stingier with new cards mainly on the Venture X, where having too many existing accounts has been given as a reason for denials. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$900K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0 - SYCH - 65.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.