cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card companies using old credit reports when we apply!

tag
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Card companies using old credit reports when we apply!

@MikeyMagicCapital One is known to repalce the EX FICO 2 score with EX FICO 3 when applying for a new card.  They'll pull EQ5, TU4 and and EX3.  Currently there's:

EQ5 , TU4, EX2 - Mortgage scores (for now)

Bankcard and Auto versions of the above EQ5, TU4, and EX2

EX3

EQ, TU, and EX FICO 8

Bankcard and Auto versions of each FICO 8

As with FICO 8 there are the same number of variants with FICO 9 and FICO 10.  With the exception of there also being a FICO 10T which uses trended data (10T does not have the bankcard and auto variants).

FICO 8 models are dominant for credit cards and auto loans, though  FICO 9 models are growing in adoption and has significant usage.  No one as far as I'm aware of uses FICO 10 models yet.

Also of note:  FICO 5, 4, and 3 are based on the FICO 04 models (prior to FICO 8 - each CRA's customization could mean another score type number).  FICO 2 scores are based on the FICO 98 models.  Last but not least FICO 10T (along with VantageScore 4.0) will replace the EQ5, TU4, and EX2 scores that are currently used for mortgages. 

All of this info is already in various threads but figured since we're on the topic it would be worth addressing all 40 scores.  As for your FICO 5 score you can get it from here at myFICO but it's not inexpensive and unless you're applying for a mortgage in the near future I wouldn't bother.  Capital One and some credit unions may use it but those tend to be outliers.  Score is only one part of your overall credit profile anyways and yours will continue growing if you keep using your cards and paying in full.

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
May 2024 FICO 8:
May 2024 FICO 9:
Message 11 of 22
nytokyobred79
Valued Contributor

@MikeyMagic wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@FicoMike0 wrote:

@MikeyMagic  you have to be careful comparing scores. There are three credit bureaus, transunion, experian and equifax. Among them, there are 28 different fico scores. Then there are vantage scores. If you use myficos free score, it's Equifax fico8.

As far as using old reports, I find that hard to believe, why would they? When I look at my crs, everyone is doing sps all the time.

I'm planning to request a cli from cap1. I'm going to download all three reports first. A week later, I'll do it again. I'll see if they do another sp after the request. I'll report back.  I fully expect they will.

I do have a recent dp for a new app. I applied to us b on 28 March with only transunion thawed, since that's who they pull. The next day, I got an alert from credit karma that I had a hard pull on tu.

In my experience Capital One typically uses old (like 2 months old) soft pulls from EQ, and uses the EQ FICO 5 score, for CLI applications.

I'm sorry but when does Capital One uses 2 month old soft pulls from Equifax? When I applied for the Savor One after the preapproval the other day it pulled my credit reports from all 3 bureaus. So obviously no soft pull there.

Also where can I find my Equifax Fico 5 score and if you don't mind me asking, how did you find out that Cap1 uses that for CLI requests?

Thanks.

Hi @MikeyMagic As others have mentioned, the scores they use for new applications vs cli requests are different. Whenever I apply for a cli request even if denied, I get an alert that Cap 1 has soft pulled Equifax. I also have a basic Equifax monthly subscription so I can see all of Cap 1's sp(s). Any future cli requests will likely be based on Equifax scores. They have been that way for me the past 2 years.  

Avoided credit cards after ruining my financial health but got back into the game in 2019 after a 20 year hiatus
Total Revolving CL- $205, 500 | Order of Opened Cards
Delta SkyMiles Blue- SL-$1K | CL- $22.6K
(pc'd from SkyMiles Platinum back to Blue)
Delta SkyMiles Reserve- SL- $10K | CL- $20K
Chase Sapphire Reserve- SL $20K | CL- $39K
Cap 1 Venture Rewards- SL $10K | CL $ 20.5K
Amex Everyday Preferred- SL $13.1K | CL $10K ( moved some limits around )
Chase Freedom Unlimited: SL $23.4K| CL $36.8K
BOA Unlimited Cash SL: $20.8K| CL $10.8K(moved some limits around)
BOA Travel Rewards SL: $20.8K | CL $5.8K(moved some limits around)
Amex Blue Cash Everyday SL: $10K
Amex Green Card: NPSL / POT: 17K
BOA BankAmericard: SL: $5K | CL: $30K
Message 12 of 22
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@MikeyMagic wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@FicoMike0 wrote:

@MikeyMagic  you have to be careful comparing scores. There are three credit bureaus, transunion, experian and equifax. Among them, there are 28 different fico scores. Then there are vantage scores. If you use myficos free score, it's Equifax fico8.

As far as using old reports, I find that hard to believe, why would they? When I look at my crs, everyone is doing sps all the time.

I'm planning to request a cli from cap1. I'm going to download all three reports first. A week later, I'll do it again. I'll see if they do another sp after the request. I'll report back.  I fully expect they will.

I do have a recent dp for a new app. I applied to us b on 28 March with only transunion thawed, since that's who they pull. The next day, I got an alert from credit karma that I had a hard pull on tu.

In my experience Capital One typically uses old (like 2 months old) soft pulls from EQ, and uses the EQ FICO 5 score, for CLI applications.

I'm sorry but when does Capital One uses 2 month old soft pulls from Equifax? When I applied for the Savor One after the preapproval the other day it pulled my credit reports from all 3 bureaus. So obviously no soft pull there.

Also where can I find my Equifax Fico 5 score and if you don't mind me asking, how did you find out that Cap1 uses that for CLI requests?

Thanks.

1. As I said in my post, it's for CLI's.

2. As I said in my post, it's based on my personal experience. Every CLI request I've made from them used an old EQ soft pull and the EQ FICO 5 score.

3. I don't know how to find it except for pulling an EQ report at MyFICO. But that will turn up a current score, not the score from 2 months ago.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 13 of 22
bytechma
New Contributor

applied for a CLI on my quicksilver one and C1 pulled my report from Feb 28. Which is annoying. Has anyone tried calling and asking to pull a newer report?

Personal Cards
C1 Quickslilver One $500 | C1 Savor One $2,000 | Discover IT Secured $200 | Amex Optima $500 | U.S. Bank Cash+ Secured $1,000

BOA Cards with Preferred Rewards Platinum (50% boost)
Travel Rewards $18,000 (AU) | Customized Cash Rewards $22,000 (AU) | Premium Rewards $19,400 (AU)

Business Cards
Nav Prime $11,000 | Amex Blue Business Plus $12,800(AU)

Message 14 of 22
MikeyMagic
Frequent Contributor

@bytechma wrote:

applied for a CLI on my quicksilver one and C1 pulled my report from Feb 28. Which is annoying. Has anyone tried calling and asking to pull a newer report?

How do you know what date Capital One pulls the credit report? I have tried to get increases a few times on my Quicksilver and I get an email telling me to read the decision in their message center. It only gives me the reason, I don't see the date or what bureau they used.

Also calling Capital One and asking for them to use a recent report seems like a good idea. Would it work?

Message 15 of 22
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

You have to look at your full credit reports. You can get them here

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

They tend to be 40+ pages long, 100+ soft pulls.

Message 16 of 22
bytechma
New Contributor

When I go to message center. I open the letter provided, the last page shows my score and reason. They pulled equifax from Feb 28. I am based in Chicago. Maybe I'll try calling them 

Personal Cards
C1 Quickslilver One $500 | C1 Savor One $2,000 | Discover IT Secured $200 | Amex Optima $500 | U.S. Bank Cash+ Secured $1,000

BOA Cards with Preferred Rewards Platinum (50% boost)
Travel Rewards $18,000 (AU) | Customized Cash Rewards $22,000 (AU) | Premium Rewards $19,400 (AU)

Business Cards
Nav Prime $11,000 | Amex Blue Business Plus $12,800(AU)

Message 17 of 22
LendMeTheLoot
Established Member

Sofi does. I tried to apply the other day and they showed me a score from 2 years ago when I previously tried and scores were in the 500s. They're in the 700s now. I have their samsung money prepaid card.

Message 18 of 22
LendMeTheLoot
Established Member

Screenshot_20240427_182717_Adobe Acrobat (1).jpg

I promise you they do.

Message 19 of 22
MikeyMagic
Frequent Contributor

@LendMeTheLoot wrote:

Screenshot_20240427_182717_Adobe Acrobat (1).jpg

I promise you they do.

Well this is crazy because the second page you showed hasn't showed once when I have requested a CLI, both in the app AND over the phone. I get the 1st page like you with the reason(it's either been my account was too new and then after the 6 months it's I recently got an increase). Yeah a big $100 one lol.

But the second page for me is a bunch of FAQ's from Capital One with commonly asked questions. I have requested about 5 CLI's for my bucketed Platinum and now Quicksilver. 

This is so weird. I called and asked a supervisor a few weeks ago why I can't see what bureau they used to determine my CLI request and she had no clue.  Makes no sense.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.