cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What cash back business card should I apply for? (746 FICO but only 9 months credit history)

tag
Ack226

What cash back business card should I apply for? (746 FICO but only 9 months credit history)

I'd like to get a cash back business card for my business expenses. A solid 2% cash back would be nice. Extra cash back on Online Advertising spend would be even better. I'm hoping for a decent credit limit to start out so I can run all of my business spend through it without micromanaging.

I'd prefer one that reports to business only, but I'm fine with personal reporting if needed.  Most important considerations are cash back, very good change of acceptance, decent starting credit limit.

I want to apply for something with a very good chance of accepting me so I don't waste an inquiry.

Personal credit: FICO 746, credit history: One 9 month old Discover card with $2000 CL. No late payments, no other lines of credit. 1 inquiry in last 12 months (declined Amex application).  Good annual income, no house payment (own house).

Business credit: Business is an LLC that's 9 years old with solid profits. Net 30 credit lines with 2 vendors with 1 or 2 year histories. All paid on time.

Any recommendations on which card I should apply for would be great. I've been looking at the CapitalOne Spark 2% cash back, but not sure it I'll qualify. Also, I understand that some cards give higher bonuses on Online Ad Spend, which would be a big bonus for us.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

Re: What cash back business card should I apply for? (746 FICO but only 9 months credit history)

Considering your young thin personal history, I'm going to throw out the Amex Blue Business Cash... no AF, 0% for first 12 months, 2% CB up to the first $50k spend annually (then 1%). They can be very generous with limits, CLIs and future SP (most of the time) approvals on additional cards and other products that might interest you. 

I can't recommend Cap One. I don't believe business credit should be reported to personal and all but one ( I think) of their cards reports to personal. You may be disappointed with the SL from them too. 

Message 2 of 12
keekers
Established Contributor

Re: What cash back business card should I apply for? (746 FICO but only 9 months credit history)

A couple thoughts...Chase cards do not report to your personal CRAs but I'm unsure about likelihood of approval (someone else may need to chime in on that):

Chase Business Preferred ($95 AF) gives 3x on:
- Shipping purchases
- Advertising purchases made with social media sites and search engines
- Internet, cable and phone services
- Travel

Chase Business Unlimited ($0 AF) gives you 1.5% on everything

SL's may not be the highest though, however it seems that CLIs are relatively fast and generous with good levels of spend.

Message 3 of 12
GZG
Valued Contributor

honestly, get an Amex personal card so you can get future Amex business cards with no HP, and to bolster your personal profile, you'll need/want more cards 

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 4 of 12
Ack226

@JoeRockhead wrote:

Considering your young thin personal history, I'm going to throw out the Amex Blue Business Cash... no AF, 0% for first 12 months, 2% CB up to the first $50k spend annually (then 1%). They can be very generous with limits, CLIs and future SP (most of the time) approvals on additional cards and other products that might interest you. 

I can't recommend Cap One. I don't believe business credit should be reported to personal and all but one ( I think) of their cards reports to personal. You may be disappointed with the SL from them too. 

Thanks. What do you think my approval chances are for the Amex Blue Business Cash?  I stupidly applied for it 9 months ago with no credit history, just after being accepted for my first personal card) and was declined and got an HP on my personal credit. I really don't want to risk another HP if there's not a really good chance of approval.

Regarding CapitalOne, I agree with you in principle that business credit shouldn't be reported to personal. On the other hand, I need to build both and from my understanding CapitalOne reports to both, so that may actually be a way for me to build up credit more quickly in both categories...  The low SL would be a dealbreaker though. 

Message 5 of 12
Ack226

@GZG wrote:

honestly, get an Amex personal card so you can get future Amex business cards with no HP, and to bolster your personal profile, you'll need/want more cards 

Does Amex work like that both ways?  If I'm approved for a personal card I don't get an HP when applying for a business card.  Or, if I get a business card first then there's no HP for personal cards after that?

Message 6 of 12
GZG
Valued Contributor

@Ack226 wrote:

@GZG wrote:

Does Amex work like that both ways?  If I'm approved for a personal card I don't get an HP when applying for a business card.  Or, if I get a business card first then there's no HP for personal cards after that?

no, you have to have a personal card to stop being HP'd on business cards

until you get a personal amex card, all business apps will be a HP

I would also consider the GM business card, no HP unless you accept the offer, 12 months 0% apr

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 7 of 12
Barkius

Keeping in mind though that if you apply for a business card too soon after getting the personal card they will do a second hard pull, which happened to me.

Message 8 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@GZG wrote:

@Ack226 wrote:

@GZG wrote:

no, you have to have a personal card to stop being HP'd on business cards

until you get a personal amex card, all business apps will be a HP

I would also consider the GM business card, no HP unless you accept the offer, 12 months 0% apr

Wow. I never knew that.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 9 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Ack226 wrote:

I'd like to get a cash back business card for my business expenses. A solid 2% cash back would be nice. Extra cash back on Online Advertising spend would be even better. I'm hoping for a decent credit limit to start out so I can run all of my business spend through it without micromanaging.

I'd prefer one that reports to business only, but I'm fine with personal reporting if needed.  Most important considerations are cash back, very good change of acceptance, decent starting credit limit.

I want to apply for something with a very good chance of accepting me so I don't waste an inquiry.

Personal credit: FICO 746, credit history: One 9 month old Discover card with $2000 CL. No late payments, no other lines of credit. 1 inquiry in last 12 months (declined Amex application).  Good annual income, no house payment (own house).

Business credit: Business is an LLC that's 9 years old with solid profits. Net 30 credit lines with 2 vendors with 1 or 2 year histories. All paid on time.

Any recommendations on which card I should apply for would be great. I've been looking at the CapitalOne Spark 2% cash back, but not sure it I'll qualify. Also, I understand that some cards give higher bonuses on Online Ad Spend, which would be a big bonus for us.

Thanks!

Two great 2% cash back cards are the Amex BBC, mentioned above, and the FNBO Evergreen Business Visa card, which -- unlike the Amex card -- has no cap.  The FNBO card gives you an extra 1% each year that you spend $10k. So if you were to spend $10k in a year it could actually be a 3% card.

Another 2% card is the PayPal Business Mastercard, which gives you 3% on PayPal spend.

I think you would be approved for any of the above.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.