Off to a good start

tag
CaneVariant
Established Member

Off to a good start

Chapter 7 BK discharged 3/17/2024

Started rebuild on  4/3/2024

4/3/2024

Targeted offer from Mission Lane Credit Union received. Applied and approved. $3k, No AF and 29.99% APR 

Pre-approved email for a Venmo card. Declined.

4/5/2024

Targted offer from Ally received. Applied and approved. $1k, No AF, 0% interest for 9 months then 28.99% 

4/18/2024

Discovered myFICO forums. Pulled all 3 scores and then froze all reports. 

Scores (for some reason I cannot paste links, sorry)

Equifax - 580

TU - 575

Experian - 588

I have a lot of learning to do on how to "read" and understand my credit reports.

Some things I have noticed. I have no idea on if/how 

1 - two paid in full closed by customer personal lines of credit are showing. Paid off in 2021 (small score bump through 2028 possible?)

2 - one paid in full closed by customer store card via Wells Fargo. Paid off in 2022

3 - All credit cards that had a 0 balance are listed as included in BK - paid in full (some even said never late)

4 - Thank you student loans for an age of accounts of 25 years

5 - even  with 7 negative accounts stilsl getting a "good score" as 56% of accounts are being as on-time never missed. 

6 - mix of credit is considered "good" and lines of credit is still considered "good"  (possible that the closed personal loans and closed cards helping again)

All things considered I am very happy with my first 2 cards. Time to "tend the garden" and hurry up and wait. 

Starting Score: 575
Current Score: 575
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
flexin222
Regular Contributor

Re: Off to a good start

Welcome CaneVariant, great news to hear about your credit journey. Take it slow and I wait at least 6 months before I apply for CLI on my cards and I rarely do inquiries...Like maybe 2 a year. In my opinion I'd work on the cards you have slowly raising the limits and maybe next year apply for something else. Try to stay below 30% of CLI and good luck!

Message 2 of 3
CaneVariant
Established Member

Re: Off to a good start

@flexin222 

Thank you for the welcome and the advice. I plan on following your advice to just work the two cards I have for at least a year +. I have already set both to Pay In Full 5 days before payment due date. I also added reminders, for myself, to follow up the day before the payment due date to make sure nothing unusal happens. 

The only other "move" I intend to make is wait another 30 days and then open an Ally HYSA and deposit a few grand. I figure the additional relationship can't hurt when it comes to CLI requests down the road. Plus the APY is at 4% ish which is not too bad. 

Cheers!

Starting Score: 575
Current Score: 575
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.