Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having Bankruptcy (Chpt 7) Removed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Having Bankruptcy (Chpt 7) Removed

I was discharged on 9/16/19. It has now been 2 years & I want to get in the process of getting a new home. What do I need to do as far as having bankruptcy removed from my credit. What is something else I can be doing to raise my scores. I have no credit cards and I recently got a car in 2020 & it's been raising it a tad bit but what else can I do.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
MileHigh96
Frequent Contributor

Re: Having Bankruptcy (Chpt 7) Removed

There is absolutely no way to have it removed anywhere near that early, a bankruptcy is a public record. Best case scenario is that you can have it removed a few months before the end of the ten years that it remains on your CR, but even that is not guaranteed.
BK7 discharged - 06JUL2021
Loans:

Revolving Accounts (in the order they were opened):

Closed accounts:
Message 2 of 15
MileHigh96
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was discharged on 9/16/19. It has now been 2 years & I want to get in the process of getting a new home. What do I need to do as far as having bankruptcy removed from my credit. What is something else I can be doing to raise my scores. I have no credit cards and I recently got a car in 2020 & it's been raising it a tad bit but what else can I do.

Something you can do is sign up for services like Credit Karma.  It's free and even though they use the Vantage 3.0 credit score and not FICO, you can keep track of things happening with your TU and EQ credit reports.  They will also match you up with credit card offers that you have a chance of being approved for.  I was able to get my Ollo Rewards and Mission Lane crads from them.  You can also sign up for the Experian free service and you will be able to keep track of the happenings on that specific credit report.  They can also match you up with credit offers as well.  That's where I got my Mercury card from.  You can also go to the Capital One credit card site and see if they will pre-approve you for a card without a hard pull on your credit.  And you could also go the secured card route if you have the extra funds to tie up in a savings account.  Usually a credit union is the best route to go with a secured card instead of all the predatory cards out there.

You can also (for now) get your free full credit reports once a week from www.annualcreditreport.com and check out everything on them and make sure they are accurate.  And if you want to keep track of all your actual FICO scores, you can sign up for Extra Credit at credit.com and they will show you all of your different FICO scores.  The cost is $24.95/month but you get one month for free to check out their service.

BK7 discharged - 06JUL2021
Loans:

Revolving Accounts (in the order they were opened):

Closed accounts:
Message 3 of 15
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

By my math you have just shy of 8 more years before the bankruptcy will fall off your record; starting in March of 2029 you can try for Early Exclusion (EE) with TransUnion; you'll have maybe a 50/50 shot at getting it removed then.  Experian, as I understand it, may allow you to request EE in June or July of 2029; once again, with a 50/50 shot at getting it removed.  Equifax, don't even bother; September 2029 is the date it will fall off.

As for what you can do to A) raise your scores and B) qualify for a mortgage, the general consensus around here is you need a minimum of three credit cards and one installment loan (your new car) to give your FICO scores as much of a bump as possible.  With the cards in hand, you'll then need to let the newest age for at least a year before your scores gain the maximum benefit of the credit you have in hand.

The above said, even without credit cards, since you've reached the two year point on your Chapter 7, you can qualify for a mortgage; assuming your scores are high enough.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!

In the proverbial sock drawer:
Message 4 of 15
Generalsifr1981
Established Member

I got mind removed from Equifax in 2021 and Experian which was hard but I figure how to get it off. The answer was right in my nose and took me almost 2 years to get rid of Experian. Now TransUnion is giving me hard time. Some people here are just bored and they will be the one answering your questions with nonsense. Nonsense like it cannot be removed or it take 10 years. As if we are not aware of it being there for 10 years if you don't do anything about it. Ignored those people. I wish you did not give up. Do some research and yes, there is nonsense gurus out there that you need to be aware off. Stay calm. Google Alabama lawyer. He is good. just type it in youtube. 

Message 5 of 15
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Generalsifr1981 wrote:

I got mind removed from Equifax in 2021 and Experian which was hard but I figure how to get it off. The answer was right in my nose and took me almost 2 years to get rid of Experian. Now TransUnion is giving me hard time. Some people here are just bored and they will be the one answering your questions with nonsense. Nonsense like it cannot be removed or it take 10 years. As if we are not aware of it being there for 10 years if you don't do anything about it. Ignored those people they are here because they have nothing else to do and make it their business to propagate their ignorant. I wish you did not give up. Do some research and yes, there is nonsense gurus out there that you need to be aware off. Stay calm. Google Alabama lawyer. He is good. just type it in youtube. 

Sorry, but 10 years is a fact of life, whatever you got removed will most likely pop back up.

Message 6 of 15
Generalsifr1981
Established Member

Not true. There is no law that say it must be 10 years. It is totally wrong to mislead people. The man want to go on with his life and instead of helping you tell him there is no hope. This board encourage that negativity and deliberately surpress those who try to help. Bankruptcy can be removed. I did it. 

Message 7 of 15
sccredit
Valued Contributor

This board encourages facts, which you and your YouTube hero do not have on your side. You quoting some random wannabe lawyer from YouTube who spews parts of laws to make it seems like he knows anything is absolute and complete nonsense. 

By the way the law you say doesn't exist is 15 U.S. Code § 1679c

Message 8 of 15
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Topic closure, please!

Message 9 of 15
md_rebuild
Regular Contributor

I think this is the same guy who got the other thread closed.   The one about early exclusion.   And never trust a YouTuber named "Alabama lawyer"!

BK7: Discharged Sept 2019
2/25/24:

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.