Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discharged chapter 7 and capital one

tag
heyitsdan03
New Visitor

Discharged chapter 7 and capital one

Hello all,

I have read quite a bit on here that capital one is one of the esiest credit cards to get after a chapter 7, even if you included them in your chapter 7. I have been discharged for a couple months now, and have a secured card i opened the day i got discharged. I tried a pre-approval at capital one and its saying denied becasue of a previous charge off. Has anyone experienced this? How long should i wait before i try to apply again? 

Im not looking to open a bunch of cards and get back into debt but i am trying to open a couple to start rebuilding my credit. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: Discharged chapter 7 and capital one

@heyitsdan03 wrote:

Hello all,

I have read quite a bit on here that capital one is one of the esiest credit cards to get after a chapter 7, even if you included them in your chapter 7. I have been discharged for a couple months now, and have a secured card i opened the day i got discharged. I tried a pre-approval at capital one and its saying denied becasue of a previous charge off. Has anyone experienced this? How long should i wait before i try to apply again? 

Im not looking to open a bunch of cards and get back into debt but i am trying to open a couple to start rebuilding my credit. 

From other sources I have heard if you burned CapOne you need to wait a year before being approved for another card.  I was in your shoes four years ago and just leveraged my secured card for all it was worth before applying for an second card which was unsecured, and then three months later a third card, also unsecured.  My suggestion would be for you to let your current card age a bit, join a credit union, and apply for one of their cards.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!

In the proverbial sock drawer:
Message 2 of 3
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

Re: Discharged chapter 7 and capital one

Cap 1 used to be very BK friendly years ago. When I filed in 2014, and burned them, I recieved two QS within 2 months of disch. Both with generous 3k limits.  As mentioned, its typically one year post disch to get back in. Still bk friendly , albeit a waiting period.

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.