cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusion Over Info on Experian Post Discharge

tag
Jules215

Confusion Over Info on Experian Post Discharge

I'm somewhat confused as to how my Experian report is reading almost one month post-discharge and hopefully, I can explain it without being too confusing.

When looking at the account overview in regards to payments it states that 13 accounts ( all the accounts included in my bk) were 30 and 60 days past due before filing...This is not accurate as I was only 30 days past due on 3 of them before filing.

I then looked at each account individually to see if Experian was reporting them as 30/60 days past due before filing and only 3 ( the correct 3 ) of my accounts are showing they were 30 days late before bk...All accounts are showing 0 balance with the remark "Discharged in Bankruptcy, Ch. 7/ Never Late ( except for the 3 accounts that were 30 days late and they state such ).

So Experian does have the correct info on each account, but in their overview summary, they do not, i.e. they're not reflecting their own information correctly...Initially, I thought ok I'll dispute this or make them aware, but I can't because as I said when I pull up each account individually they're correct...I want to dispute their remarks as a whole but see no option to do so...Only the option to dispute information on each individual account.

Any advice or should I even care?... The credit report itself looks correct, but I don't know if creditors see Experian's remarks too ( or are they just for me )...Experian is my lowest score post-discharge by quite a bit and I'm wondering if it's partially because of their own incorrect comments.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: Confusion Over Info on Experian Post Discharge

@Jules215, this sounds fairly typical, and quite honestly, irrelevant.  Why?  Because having a bankruptcy on your record trumps all other late marks.  In my case my wife filed for a Chapter 7 in 2014, I filed for a Chapter 13 about a year later, and her car payment ended up on my reports as being 30, then 60, then 90 days late for not only the duration of my bankruptcy, but long after, even though the loan was never once late and fully paid off only 18 months into my 60 month payment plan.  When all of the negative marks from the vehicle loan fell off my reports, my scores didn't change even a point.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!

In the proverbial sock drawer:
Message 2 of 5
Jules215

Thanks for responding!!... What you're saying makes sense and I know the BK trumps any other negative on the report...I won't be applying for any more credit for quite some time ( I've already secured 3 no-fee credit cards since filing ), so I won't know if the 30/60 days late are having any effect or not...I have my documentation if I ever feel I need to dispute the info., so will just let it ride for now, if not for the next 7 yrs...Crazy enough, just after making this initial post in this thread my Experian score went up almost 40 points and is now much more comparable to the other 2.

Message 3 of 5
laocfico
Established Member

I'm having the same issue. Every site showing my score "ingredients" says 14 accounts 30, 60 day late and it's severely dinging my score but I only had 1 30 day late account before filing. 

Message 4 of 5
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@laocfico wrote:

I'm having the same issue. Every site showing my score "ingredients" says 14 accounts 30, 60 day late and it's severely dinging my score but I only had 1 30 day late account before filing. 

Those lates aren't hurting your score by even a point, it is the bankruptcy which is dragging it down.  Even if you were never late on anything before you filed, all of our accounts would most likely show lates and your score would be exactly where it is today.

I know it is annoying to see accounts with lots of negative notations, but really, they are irrelevant.  As an example, for the five years of my Chapter 13 and for the year and a half after my discharge, my wife's car reported consecutive late payments even though A) no payment had ever been late, and B) it was fully paid off 18 months into my Chapter 13.  When her car fell off my reports, my score went down.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!

In the proverbial sock drawer:
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.