Did you mean: 

URGENT: UTILIZATION vs LATES vs COs

tag
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

97% $17K BALANCE – 573 FICO 8 EXPERIAN – 6 REVOLVING ACCOUNTS

What is hurting the scores the most?  If the consumers utilization goes to 1% what could the impact be?

OPEN TO ALL COMMENTS / SUGGESTIONS RELATING TO THIS SITUATION – LET IT RIP

Some background

Consumer’s car has been totaled (consumer not at fault, thankfully)  $10K owing which we be paid to $25 this Friday (my funds)

A check from the insurance company will be cut for $18K that will go to the consumer, lienholder gets $25

* my initial plan was to hook a new ax biz blue plus (0% for a year ) onto plastiq and do a 2.9% payment for the car pay off, but one cannot pay loans down with ax.  the money I am lending the consumer is $10K from one of my LOCs at 14%.

** my next step was to pay all cards down to $0, sans a single account with a $10 bal.  let the 6 accounts report and have the scores go up for the consumer to better quality for a car.

*** my question is how much will her scores potentially go up?  not sure the total impact of the lates or the (3) COs which all have high balances. (the consumer did not negotiate the bal down and has been paying them down for over a year, another major bad move)

Unfortunately, the consumer picked the wrong lenders to burn, the car, the home and chase. 

Burning the home with 22 lates means the only loans the consumer can get will be nuclear with a huge origination fee and high interest - nobody will give the consumer a second or heloc for at least a year of clean history.  the consumer is 3 months behind ($2500/month) the consumer has been late this entire year; the consumer will pay it to 2 months late on Monday

Ditto with the car loan, 14 lates, 2x in 2024.  the consumers only option is to get something from KIA again, will probably just replace the SOUL as the consumer likes it

10 reporting accounts, 9 late

2 CAP1

1 CAP1

1 CAP1

1 CAP1

14 KIA

22 MORTGAGE

12 CO DISCOVER

23 CO CHASE

23 CO CHASE

99 LATES

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

Re: URGENT: UTILIZATION vs LATES vs COs

Sure looks ugly. With the ins money, could the mortgage be brought current? I would think it better to stop ongoing lates first, then go after past cos. Not that I know anything, just a thought.

Message 2 of 7
TheKid2
Established Contributor

Just note that I am writing to address the score questions, not commenting on finances. From experience, the most penal score penalties are for COs with an unpaid balance that are reporting monthly. Not only are these the worst derogs you can have score wise (besides a BK), they are counted against your utilization. Think of every unpaid CO counting as an account over the limit. Any utilization changes you make on your active accounts barely make a dent, you can practically pay off all your open/active accounts and you'll still have super high utilization score wise because of the unpaid COs. Additionally, COs won't start to "heal" until they are settled/paid off. Note, that you don't need to pay them off, you could negotiate a settlement with the creditor for less than the balance. You'll get a comment on the account that you settled for less, but the algorithms don't read comments and your scores will finally start to improve when the past due balances hit $0.

JOINED 4/2020

FICO 8 = 582, 620, 589 / Mortgage = 633, 526, 581

CURRENT PEAK *Thanks to the MF Community!

FICO 8 = 715, 711, 720 / Mortgage = 688, 696, 681

Message 3 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@bourgogne wrote:

97% $17K BALANCE – 573 FICO 8 EXPERIAN – 6 REVOLVING ACCOUNTS

What is hurting the scores the most?  If the consumers utilization goes to 1% what could the impact be?

OPEN TO ALL COMMENTS / SUGGESTIONS RELATING TO THIS SITUATION – LET IT RIP

Some background

Consumer’s car has been totaled (consumer not at fault, thankfully)  $10K owing which we be paid to $25 this Friday (my funds)

A check from the insurance company will be cut for $18K that will go to the consumer, lienholder gets $25

* my initial plan was to hook a new ax biz blue plus (0% for a year ) onto plastiq and do a 2.9% payment for the car pay off, but one cannot pay loans down with ax.  the money I am lending the consumer is $10K from one of my LOCs at 14%.

** my next step was to pay all cards down to $0, sans a single account with a $10 bal.  let the 6 accounts report and have the scores go up for the consumer to better quality for a car.

*** my question is how much will her scores potentially go up?  not sure the total impact of the lates or the (3) COs which all have high balances. (the consumer did not negotiate the bal down and has been paying them down for over a year, another major bad move)

Unfortunately, the consumer picked the wrong lenders to burn, the car, the home and chase. 

Burning the home with 22 lates means the only loans the consumer can get will be nuclear with a huge origination fee and high interest - nobody will give the consumer a second or heloc for at least a year of clean history.  the consumer is 3 months behind ($2500/month) the consumer has been late this entire year; the consumer will pay it to 2 months late on Monday

Ditto with the car loan, 14 lates, 2x in 2024.  the consumers only option is to get something from KIA again, will probably just replace the SOUL as the consumer likes it

10 reporting accounts, 9 late

2 CAP1

1 CAP1

1 CAP1

1 CAP1

14 KIA

22 MORTGAGE

12 CO DISCOVER

23 CO CHASE

23 CO CHASE

99 LATES

Is your question whether 97% utilization is hurting more than 99 lates? The answer is no, 99 lates hurts worse. But since there's very little you can do about the lates, and there is something you can do about the utilization, you might as well tackle the utilization.

Total revolving limits 657200 (536700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 706 TU 710 EX 708

Message 4 of 7
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

If any, or all of the COs were revolving accounts, as stated above, these will have the biggest negative impact to her scores due to them being scored (in addition to a serious delinquency) as maxed out accounts until they show a zero balance. Getting the UTI down across the board is important. Not much you can do with all the late payments except getting the accounts current (if they're not), and allowing time to do it's thing.

Message 5 of 7
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

hi

many thanks to all that have commented thus far.  I just talked with the sales manager at KIA.  sharp helpful individual with a deep knowledge of both credit and KIA finance.  he said to bring the mortgage current.  with a good story he will try KIA first for a loan with POI and a good story as to why it will not happen again - if that fails then its on to the banks.  I am personally feeling uncomfortable with all this and loaning her anything past the car payoff.   I want to help but I am 850 3x and have been for years thanks in part to the individuals here.  I think I want my money back and with the house it will leave her ~$3400 that she can use for the car downpayment which he said will be required.  maybe $1-2K, and the rest she can put to the cards and a future house payment.  its LA.  she needs a car or else the money stops.

Thoughts?  Thanks!

$18,226.19       Net insurance settlement 

$9,909.23        KIA payoff good thru 5/24/2024    

$9,880.00       My loan to pay off KIA (05/10/24 - $29.23 residual)

$4,866.00       Amount to bring house current

A mortgage statement and POI is needed

$3,480.19 is left after bringing the mortgage current and my repayment sans $29.23

A part of this can be used for the car down payment, the remainder for the cards and/or mortgage

Message 6 of 7
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

cancelled my loan to her, AAA can probably act faster to get money to KIA and her.  its a good plan, pay down the house, have the rest for a car down payment and some left over for cards, etc.  its a cautionary tale for us all - never be late.  thanks to the community, have a good weekend!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.