Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiry drops off, EX FICO 8 --> +5

tag
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

Re: Inquiry drops off, EX FICO 8 --> +5

An inquiry aged a year on my Equifax report and I went up four points. Close enough to the five points. My last inquiry on all CRA.

Message 11 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@CorpCrMgr1 wrote:

An inquiry aged a year on my Equifax report and I went up four points. Close enough to the five points. My last inquiry on all CRA.

Congratulations. You've truly gardened Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 12 of 16
DXness
New Contributor

This happened to me this month - nothing has been changing on my FICO 8s, but 2 inquiries aged beyond the 1 year mark and I received 5 points back on EX that took me to 740, the highest score I've had in my rebuild so far.  Scorable inqs are definitely also binned on dirty scorecards, as some of them cost no points when they hit.

I can't tell what TU is doing since I have no free means of accessing that score and EQ didn't move since those inquiries were not on it.

__

Rebuilding, FICO 8s as of February 2024:

Message 13 of 16
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

Congratulations for your highest rebuilding score!!

Message 14 of 16
AyaMai
Frequent Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

My Experian FICO score went up 5 points today. I was quite surprised since nothing good has been happening with my profile.

I scoured the EX report and the only thing I can find is that one of my inquiries is dated 2/6/23. So if that became unscorable today, 2/6/24, my scorable EX inquiries dropped from 7 to 6.

Not sure what conclusions to draw, but thought I'd pass along the data.

Update 2/7/24.  Although by my count, the number of scorable inquiries dropped from 7 to 6, experian.com is saying on its user interface, under "what's changed", that the number of recent inquiries dropped from 6 to 5.  So I guess the next bin tops out at 5 not 6:

"On your previous report you had 6 recent inquiries—now you have 5, probably because an inquiry hit the 1 year mark. This means the inquiry no longer affects your FICO® Score, even though it will stay on your credit report for 2 years.

Keep in mind, we're only showing what FICO considers to be new inquiries and your credit report might show a different number. For example, FICO may group multiple inquiries for a new loan into one inquiry so you aren't penalized for shopping for a better rate."

Do find your post and the responses very informative & helpful for future credit card strategy. My Experian Fico 8 score has been dinged so many times  in a short period time due to constant applying for new cards. The only way to improve my score it is to stop applying for 10 months which won't be an easy task, 6 months was the longest time didn't apply. Luckily I am at the point that there few cards I am interested in applying for & to top it Chase is denying me even to open a checking account with or without SUB. 

Message 15 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

Ok - bin revision:

0, 1, 2-3, 4-5, 6-9 and 10+

It can be tricky knowing whether some inquiries are deduped to count as one. I am on the fence as to deduping of inquiries associated with seeking revolving credit. Possibly yes although most statements from Fico only mention deduping of installment loans. I do know revolving credit seeking inquiries are not deduped together with installment loan inquiries.

As we know, Fico 8 uses a 45 day dedupe.

Today my EX FICO 8 gained 7 points by reason of inquiries dropping from 4 to 3.  This supports your 4-5 bin theory, @Thomas_Thumb 

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.