Inquiries drop from 4 to 3 --> EX FICO 8 +7

tag
keekers
Established Contributor

Re: Inquiries drop from 4 to 3 --> EX FICO 8 +7

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@keekers wrote:
For whatever it's worth I went from 0 scoreable (1 total) to 3 scoreable (4 total) last month and my scores didn't budge.

I believe it takes 45 days for the impact to be felt from new inquiries.

I believe the buffer (delay in counting toward score) is 30 days. The Dedupe where multiple inquiries count as 1 HP for installment loans is 45 days for Fico 8. The Dedupe does not apply to revolving credit HPs.

Unfortunately poster data often does not consider these nuisances. Or, as in ExpatCanucks case, the headline says going 4 => 5 lowered score but, the post then mentions 1 inq was over 12 months. Data can be misleading if not vetted.

I will report back shortly then Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 18
mgood
Valued Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

More data is needed by others.

As mentioned in another thread, I did see the 7-pt drop on Experian when inquiries went from 2/12 to 3/12 on April 12. Scores have been pretty stable over the last few months.

On May 1 inquiries will go back down from 3/12 to 2/12. We'll see what happens. Nothing else should be changing other than minor differences in utilization. (Like 2.4% down to 2.1% sort of minor.)

EQ8 809, TU8 790, EX8 797 as of May 9
AZE3 - 2% Utl - New Accts: 3/6, 3/12, 7/24
Message 12 of 18
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@mgood wrote:

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

As mentioned in another thread, I did see the 7-pt drop on Experian when inquiries went from 2/12 to 3/12 on April 12. Scores have been pretty stable over the last few months.

On May 1 inquiries will go back down from 3/12 to 2/12. We'll see what happens. Nothing else should be changing other than minor differences in utilization. (Like 2.4% down to 2.1% sort of minor.)

More support for 3 inquiries being a significant threshold, all by itself. Most likely when the anniversary of inquiry number 3 hits in May, and your scorable inquiries drop back down to 2,  you'll get your 7 points back.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 13 of 18
mgood
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@mgood wrote:

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

More support for 3 inquiries being a significant threshold, all by itself. Most likely when the anniversary of inquiry number 3 hits in May, and your scorable inquiries drop back down to 2,  you'll get your 7 points back.

Well, my scores did go up, by considerably more than 7 points. My only installment loan went down from 12% to 9% and I saw big score increases across the board. Good for me, but I can't tell how much, if any, my change in inquiries affected the score.

Message 14 of 18
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@mgood wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@mgood wrote:

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

Well, my scores did go up, by considerably more than 7 points. My only installment loan went down from 12% to 9% and I saw big score increases across the board. Good for me, but I can't tell how much, if any, my change in inquiries affected the score.

When my only installment loan would drop to 9%, my FICO 8 scores went up ~ 30 points.

Are you 100% sure that May 1st was the anniversary date of the inquiry?

Message 15 of 18
mgood
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

When my only installment loan would drop to 9%, my FICO 8 scores went up ~ 30 points.

Screenshot_20240503_162905_Chrome~2.jpg

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Yes, I know that's the date I applied for and was approved for the card, and it is the inquiry date shown on the report, but when I got my 3B pull on the evening of the 1st, it still showed that May 2023 inquiry on Experian Smiley Frustrated

inq.png

Maybe I should have waited a day to do the pull, but I usually do it after the close of business on the 1st of each month because I have statements that cut on the 2nd and 3rd that could change things.

Message 16 of 18
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@mgood wrote:
@SouthJamaica wrote:

Screenshot_20240503_162905_Chrome~2.jpg

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Yes, I know that's the date I applied for and was approved for the card, and it is the inquiry date shown on the report, but when I got my 3B pull on the evening of the 1st, it still showed that May 2023 inquiry on Experian Smiley Frustrated

inq.png

Maybe I should have waited a day to do the pull, but I usually do it after the close of business on the 1st of each month because I have statements that cut on the 2nd and 3rd that could change things.

Well, we'll probably find out within a couple of days whether the increase for expired scorable inquiry was or was not jammed in with the increase for dropping installment utilization below 10%.

The main thing is: you've got some pretty scores there now Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 18
mgood
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

The main thing is: you've got some pretty scores there now Smiley Happy

Smiley Happy It's very temporary. I'm planning to buy a car this week or next. But they did peak at the right time to help me with the auto loan.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.