Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much will my score be affected?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How much will my score be affected?

Hello, My current credit score is approximatley 770. I have a credit card that has 19K limit, and about a 5K balance on the card. If I transfer 10K to the card, that will bring the total up to 15K. How much exactly will that affect my credit score? Is there another way to go about it? Michael
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How much will my score be affected?

Your score will drop. Can you distribute the balance across more than one card?
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only have one other card, with a $4500 credit limit. I figured it would drop - but is there a way to estimate by how much? Or perhaps another strategy to limit how much it drops by?
Message 3 of 22
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

I would open one or two more cards and distribute the balance equally amongst them. One maxed or high util card will always look worse than redistributing. What are your other two scores?
Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice. I don't know my other two scores yet - and haven't checked. I got the other number from my bank when I pre-applied for a loan. That's the whole thing behind this - is that I am going to be purchasing a house later this year (around november), but am trying to help out a friend by transferring a balance to my card.
Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

all of the issues that come along with such an arrangement aside, i would get the house before i transferred the friend's balance onto my card.
Message 6 of 22
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

dog wrote:
all of the issues that come along with such an arrangement aside, i would get the house before i transferred the friend's balance onto my card.

agreed.

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would it really drop by that much? or is just the looks of something like that - which a lender would not like to see
Message 8 of 22
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Mr_Michael wrote:
Would it really drop by that much? or is just the looks of something like that - which a lender would not like to see

It could depending on how you do it.. plus it will increase your overall DTI which is important to lenders. Will your friend pay the debt off before Nov?
Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

No - The debt would certainly not be paid off.
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.