Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO9 & Authorized Users?

tag
myfavoritehue
New Contributor

FICO9 & Authorized Users?

I've heard that the FICO9 scoring model, and that scoring model only, views authorized user tradelines as primary tradelines?

Any underwriters here, who currently work/have worked in the past with an institution that uses FICO9, to confirm this?

More or less, if true, I'm wondering how that would be factored in when comparable credit is considered, for new applications, when being automatically approved.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Re: FICO9 & Authorized Users?

That would be incorrect. Fico looked at AU accounts same as primary for the older Fico 98 and Fico 04 models used for mortgages and some other installment loans.

That was discontinued with the newer Fico 8 and Fico 9 models.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 2 of 7
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

@myfavoritehue wrote:

I've heard that the FICO9 scoring model, and that scoring model only, views authorized user tradelines as primary tradelines?

Any underwriters here, who currently work/have worked in the past with an institution that uses FICO9, to confirm this?

More or less, if true, I'm wondering how that would be factored in when comparable credit is considered, for new applications, when being automatically approved.

Underwriters using FICO9 wouldn't know the answer to your question, since underwriters don't have any more access to FICO algos than consumers, but, like @Thomas_Thumb said, it's the older FICO models now used as mortgage scores that don't differentiate AU from primary for scoring purposes.  All models from FICO8 forward do.

Message 3 of 7
myfavoritehue
New Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

That would be incorrect. Fico looked at AU accounts same as primary for the older Fico 98 and Fico 04 models used for mortgages and some other installment loans.

That was discontinued with the newer Fico 8 and Fico 9 models.

Some lenders, mainly credit unions, still use those older models though, in which my theory of AUs being viewed as a primary would stick, correct? 
I had a DCU account awhile back and I believe they pulled EQ5.

Message 4 of 7
myfavoritehue
New Contributor

@Slabenstein wrote:

@myfavoritehue wrote:

Underwriters using FICO9 wouldn't know the answer to your question, since underwriters don't have any more access to FICO algos than consumers, but, like @Thomas_Thumb said, it's the older FICO models now used as mortgage scores that don't differentiate AU from primary for scoring purposes.  All models from FICO8 forward do.

Thanks for the clarification. Is there a masterlist of institutions that use those older scoring models like TU4, EQ5 and EX2 for credit cards?

Message 5 of 7
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

@myfavoritehue wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. Is there a masterlist of institutions that use those older scoring models like TU4, EQ5 and EX2 for credit cards?

Not that's currently maintained.  You can view an old thread here for some idea, it's just a few years out of date.  Generally, you're going to be more likely to find FICO98 or FICO04 scores being used for consumer underwriting at small, local credit unions, but the vast majority of lenders, CU or bank, are on FICO8 for consumer stuff.

With regards to small, local credit unions, I'd also keep in mind that they're probably going to be doing manual underwriting, so, even if you're getting a score benefit from AU accounts, they're going to remove them from consideration for all other aspects of underwriting.

Message 6 of 7
myfavoritehue
New Contributor

@Slabenstein wrote:

@myfavoritehue wrote:

Not that's currently maintained.  You can view an old thread here for some idea, it's just a few years out of date.  Generally, you're going to be more likely to find FICO98 or FICO04 scores being used for consumer underwriting at small, local credit unions, but the vast majority of lenders, CU or bank, are on FICO8 for consumer stuff.

With regards to small, local credit unions, I'd also keep in mind that they're probably going to be doing manual underwriting, so, even if you're getting a score benefit from AU accounts, they're going to remove them from consideration for all other aspects of underwriting.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to do more homework and follow up with some calls to those institutions to interview them to gauge which CUs to join. I stepped away from credit a while ago but it seems like things have really tightened up.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.