Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CS dropped 11 Points When CL Transferred Cap1

tag
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Re: CS dropped 11 Points When CL Transferred Cap1

I remain confused. Let's keep it simple. One poster up thread thought you went from 3 cards reporting balances to 5 cards reporting balances. Is that true? If not what was the before/after count with balances? Information on credit limits and balances not Germaine to this question.

Fico does indeed have a metric for"number of accounts with balances". This is numerical and not specific to credit cards. Fico also looks at % of cards with balances. Both of the above metrics may have multiple thresholds.

I have found Experian to be least sensitive to # of accounts with balances and % of cards with balances. Impact of these metrics on score is dependent on presence of an open loan, AoOA, file thickness and whether AoYRA is under 12 months.

End of the day, I don't consider the OP's point drop as significant. It is certainly not exhibit A in arguing value of Fico credit scoring algorithms. This tool is for use by lenders and they vote with their pocketbooks.

Many posters here whine about or trash VantageScore. I think it is great to have alternate credit scores. Without competition what is the incentive for Fico to continually improve its products? Litigation and legislation does not drive continuous improvement, competition does.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 21 of 38
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

1. Received email from Experian on 4/20/24

2. Read email which stated Cap1  CL was lowered.

3. Email also stated my score dropped 11 points.

4. Signed into Experian.

5. Same message awaited me on the official Exp site.

6. First thought, Cap1 lowered my CL because I messed with my accounts.

7. Verified the CL drop was on the CC with the now $500 limit from which I moved funds.

8. Verified no other Cap1 had a CLD.

9. On 4/21/24 I looked at my accounts.

10. Saw I now had a balance on two additional CC.

11. Went over to a friend's house.

12. She looked over my CR's and found no difference other than the CLD.

13. PIF all CC.

14. Saw I have a pending charge from 4/21 on 4/22.

15. All CC are now PIF except for any pending charges.

Yes, I use my CC. Sometimes I use three or four in the same day.

4/20/24 I actually used cash. 4/21/24 I used a (one) CC.

Again, 20 active open CC. Experian reported three CC with a balance on 4/20. 

There were no balance on the Cap1 card. 

Message 22 of 38
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Ok, looks like it isn't possible to nail down # of accounts reporting balances at the times when scores were pulled. Some credit cards report midcycle if paid to zero. Also some may report balance and new CL midcycle if CL changes.

The only thing that really matters is how many cards show a non zero statement balance on the credit bureau reports at the time when data was pulled for scoring. Also, I PIF all my cards but not until after statements cut. As a result, any card used during a given month would have a non zero balance reported.

Message 23 of 38
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

Paying every week there's a statement that just closed. That's one reason I am amazed by those that AZEO. There's always something charging for me. There's always a week that a CC is billing via statement.

Message 24 of 38
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

You certainly have us all interested.  Something must have caused the point drop. Is there any possibility you hit an all zero?

Message 25 of 38
TheKid2
Established Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

I remain confused. Let's keep it simple. One poster up thread thought you went from 3 cards reporting balances to 5 cards reporting balances. Is that true? If not what was the before/after count with balances? Information on credit limits and balances not Germaine to this question.

Fico does indeed have a metric for"number of accounts with balances". This is numerical and not specific to credit cards. Fico also looks at % of cards with balances. Both of the above metrics may have multiple thresholds.

I have found Experian to be least sensitive to # of accounts with balances and % of cards with balances. Impact of these metrics on score is dependent on presence of an open loan, AoOA, file thickness and whether AoYRA is under 12 months.

End of the day, I don't consider the OP's point drop as significant. It is certainly not exhibit A in arguing value of Fico credit scoring algorithms. This tool is for use by lenders and they vote with their pocketbooks.

Many posters here whine about or trash VantageScore. I think it is great to have alternate credit scores. Without competition what is the incentive for Fico to continually improve its products? Litigation and legislation does not drive continuous improvement, competition does.

You sum up well what drives my curiosity into scoring and why we often are tilting windmills when we complain about unfairness in our scores. The algorithms are proprietary and like a nesting doll mated with a rubiks cube. So many factors embedded in the code, which have an exponential impact when one begins to understand bucketing and different scorecards for aging, dirty, clean, etc. Isolating a single change in a normal person's credit profile is nearly impossible because we use our credit every day, multiple times. Even when we aren't using credit for a short period of time and we believe nothing is changing, it is changing because it's aging, an account fell off, a CLI, etc. As you point out, we are not the reason that the algos do what they do, the lenders foot that bill to FICO.

I admit to being in the camp that Vantage 3 scores are useless because they are never used in a creditor decision. I agree that competition is good and drives improvement. However, my biggest problem is how VS3 is delivered to the consumer. Most people get their VS3 scores via sites like CK and they are just simply not being given good credit advice. "Good approval odds", "Help your score by adding another card", etc. The statements are just simply not true and they are just looking to generate ad, click, and app revenue. One could make a valid argument that VS was born to generate this revenue to offset the cost of paying FICO for their scores, which are actually used in lending decisions.

JOINED 4/2020

FICO 8 = 582, 620, 589 / Mortgage = 633, 526, 581

CURRENT PEAK *Thanks to the MF Community!

FICO 8 = 715, 711, 720 / Mortgage = 688, 696, 681

Message 26 of 38
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Actually, the 3 CRAs own VS. They wanted to avoid paying the exorbitant fees charged by FICO to generate credit scores. Long term strategy has been to offer a mainstream lender accepted alternative credit score. VS3 has been used by rental companies and as an initial screen by marketers of credit cards to cull the herd. With VS4 it appears VantageScore may finally be gaining a mainstream foothold in installment loan decisioning.

2025 will be a make or break year for acceptance of VS for use in mortgage loan decisioning.

Message 27 of 38
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

@FicoMike0  unfortunately not. I had  a couple of charges from earlier last week. Yesterday I paid every card but one pending charge. It would be hard for me to ever be AZ. Today there's another pending charge and the prior pending has hit. 

Message 28 of 38
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

According to Experian, my CS has increased by 11 points and is back to 841. The only comment was the open balance increased from 0% to 1%. The increase is has of today On 4/22/24 I paid all open accounts in full. On 4/24/24 I paid two prior pending charges in full. One was $101.00 on a card with a CL of $12,400.00. The other was a $37.49 charge on a card with a $8,000.00 CL. Except for the latter two, the other payments had cleared my bank.

Message 29 of 38
TheKid2
Established Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

Actually, the 3 CRAs own VS. They wanted to avoid paying the exorbitant fees charged by FICO to generate credit scores. Long term strategy has been to offer a mainstream lender accepted alternative credit score. VS3 has been used by rental companies and as an initial screen by marketers of credit cards to cull the herd. With VS4 it appears VantageScore may finally be gaining a mainstream foothold in installment loan decisioning.

2025 will be a make or break year for acceptance of VS for use in mortgage loan decisioning.

@Thomas_Thumb  Apologies if I was unclear, but I was commenting on why the CRAs invented VS. I thought it was well known that they developed the scoring algo to compete with FICO. What I am questioning is how it is being delivered to the consumer and the revenue generation around offering bad credit advice under the guise of "helping" us. It's disingenous when Credit Karma (or any site using VS3) gives "approval odds" and then gives a prediction that getting this card "will help your score". The problem with approval odds and predicting score impact is that currently the VS3 score won't be used in the lending decision and the score impact is both questionable for VS3 and most importantly could have the opposite effect on your FICO score, which will be used in lending decisions. You won't find this clearly stated anywhere that a VS3 score is given and they just want to generate clicks and new applications. For most consumers they are getting terrible credit advice based on a VS3 score.

There are other examples of this like Experian "credit boost", which is additiional disingenous advice because it's a score change that won't be used in a lending decision. The bottom line is that the CRAs are for profit and do not have our best interest in mind, we should not forget that.

I'm not up on the latest news, so not sure if the GSEs are seriously considering VS for lending risk. I don't think anyone would argue how archaic FICO 5/4/2 is at this point. I'm sure that the CRAs have a lobby and I'm sure FICO has something to say about it. Will be interesting to see what happens for mortgages.

JOINED 4/2020

FICO 8 = 582, 620, 589 / Mortgage = 633, 526, 581

CURRENT PEAK *Thanks to the MF Community!

FICO 8 = 715, 711, 720 / Mortgage = 688, 696, 681

Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.