Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CS dropped 11 Points When CL Transferred Cap1

tag
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

Re: CS dropped 11 Points When CL Transferred Cap1

@CreditPoor  thank you! Exactly, my point. 

Message 11 of 38
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@CorpCrMgr1 wrote:

@SouthJamaica  I wish there was another difference. I have gone over my Experience report twice. Later today I will have a friend look at my reports. 

My first thought when I was reading the Exp notification was that Cap1 lowered my CL on either or both cards beyond my CL transfer. Neither card is used a lot. After digesting all of this I wonder what nobody has mentioned; why didn't the increase and decrease simultaneously happen? 

For the last question, that would be due to different reporting dates.  If every utilization metric is exactly the same between the two cards like both had a $0 balance before and after, or you had $0 on a $2500 card (0%) and $25 on another $2500 card (1%) and now have $0 on a $500 card (0%) and $45 on a $4500 card (1%) reporting, the change in limits has nothing at all to do with any FICO scoring change.  I would look more toward other factors like all zero penalties, raw number of cards or percentage of cards currently reporting a balance, closed accounts falling off of your report, and/or credit score rebucketing having coincidental timing.  (For the latter, remember that there are many different buckets of risk assessment and one FICO 08 Experian score of 800 is not necessarily being factored the same as another.)

Message 12 of 38
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

As far as I know Fico does not penalize for account CLDs. Only for elevated account UT. Perhaps there is some lag time between the drop in CL on one card and the increase on the other which temporarily impacted aggregate CL.

My question is: Does score bounce back after 1 reporting cycle? If so, then no worries.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 13 of 38
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@CorpCrMgr1 wrote:

@SouthJamaica  I wish there was another difference. I have gone over my Experience report twice. Later today I will have a friend look at my reports. 

My first thought when I was reading the Exp notification was that Cap1 lowered my CL on either or both cards beyond my CL transfer. Neither card is used a lot. After digesting all of this I wonder what nobody has mentioned; why didn't the increase and decrease simultaneously happen? 

They don't simultaneously report unless, by coincidence, they each have the exact same statement date.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 14 of 38
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

They don't simultaneously report unless, by coincidence, they each have the exact same statement date.

I have my statement dates set up to be the same for all card accounts with the same lender.  I just find it to be convenient to know they are all going to cut at the same time.  I never considered the possible advantage to credit limit reallocations reporting simultaneously.  Thanks for pointing this out!

May 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver [will be reassigned when new account starts reporting]
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 0 mos | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 15 of 38
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston while I PIF every week, I never had the AZ. There are always some monthly fee being charged. I use my cards virtually everyday. 

I did have a friend verify there are no differences outside of a CL drop now reporting. No cards went away. My usage is never more than 2%, usually under 1%.  My total CL is just over $225K. My lunch, weekly fuel, going out, weekly groceries, monthly utilities never total over $4K at one time. I'm paying about $1K a week for my living costs. There were three CC with a balance out of 20 when I was notified. Now it's five out of 20. I do not have a mortgage or student loan. I have a car loan going on four out of the five years. No CC renewed in the last couple of months. No AU either way.

I've seen a lot of posts of CS not making sense.

Again, a few weeks ago MyFICO score dropped four points  and then went immediately back up. The reason was I owed a $190 to Chase and then it was paid. No, I did not owe that amount to Chase or any other CC. Nor did I make a payment of $190 to Chase or any other card.

Message 16 of 38
Aeon
New Contributor

@CorpCrMgr1 wrote:

@K-in-Boston while I PIF every week, I never had the AZ. There are always some monthly fee being charged. I use my cards virtually everyday. 

I did have a friend verify there are no differences outside of a CL drop now reporting. No cards went away. My usage is never more than 2%, usually under 1%.  My total CL is just over $225K. My lunch, weekly fuel, going out, weekly groceries, monthly utilities never total over $4K at one time. I'm paying about $1K a week for my living costs. There were three CC with a balance out of 20 when I was notified. Now it's five out of 20. I do not have a mortgage or student loan. I have a car loan going on four out of the five years. No CC renewed in the last couple of months. No AU either way.

I've seen a lot of posts of CS not making sense.

Again, a few weeks ago MyFICO score dropped four points  and then went immediately back up. The reason was I owed a $190 to Chase and then it was paid. No, I did not owe that amount to Chase or any other CC. Nor did I make a payment of $190 to Chase or any other card.

Number of accounts with balances is a FICO scoring metric. You just listed a scorable change. What's interesting about that particular metric (from what I gather) is that it is profile dependent. The two cards in question may not have had a balance, but overall the # of accounts with balances may have increased (or decreased) between the two most recent notifications for score reporting. Notifications aren't always same day as well. For the same scorable change, I've gotten scoring notifications up to 4 days apart depending on which company is notifiying me. And those dates all reflect the date of the notification, not the date of the scorable change. 

Wells Fargo Autograph (PC'd multiple times) - June 2014 | American Express Blue Cash Everyday - September 2022 | American Express Blue Business Cash - March 2023

Message 17 of 38
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

@Aeon  you are stating my owing under 1% on three cards out of a TCL of $225K+ on 20 cards lowered my CS? Then the percentage for score depreciation is 0.1% and not the 8.8%, or 9%, or 10% that I see others posting? Or is it owing on 15% of my cards? The three cards in question are all over $10K in individual CL. 

Message 18 of 38
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@CorpCrMgr1 wrote:

@Aeon  you are stating my owing under 1% on three cards out of a TCL of $225K+ on 20 cards lowered my CS? Then the percentage for score depreciation is 0.1% and not the 8.8%, or 9%, or 10% that I see others posting? Or is it owing on 15% of my cards? The three cards in question are all over $10K in individual CL. 

Yes, that is why I mentioned that unless the exact scenario I laid out in post 12 happened, there could have been a change.  Number of cards reporting a balance has two metrics in FICO scoring, one is raw number of cards reporting a balance and one is for 50% or more of cards reporting a balance.  If you had 10 cards with $20,000 credit limits and 6 of them reported a $1 balance, you would be well below 1% utilization and therefore not taking a hit for raw utilization, but you would be receiving a penalty for raw number of cards reporting a balance and a penalty for more than 50% of cards reporting a balance.  That $6 reporting could cost some profiles 20+ points.  Number of cards reporting a balance is usually a pretty minor thing, but that is why the whole AZEO thing is talked about if every single point might count for a major loan.

Message 19 of 38
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@CorpCrMgr1 wrote:

Yes, that is why I mentioned that unless the exact scenario I laid out in post 12 happened, there could have been a change.  Number of cards reporting a balance has two metrics in FICO scoring, one is raw number of cards reporting a balance and one is for 50% or more of cards reporting a balance.  If you had 10 cards with $20,000 credit limits and 6 of them reported a $1 balance, you would be well below 1% utilization and therefore not taking a hit for raw utilization, but you would be receiving a penalty for raw number of cards reporting a balance and a penalty for more than 50% of cards reporting a balance.  That $6 reporting could cost some profiles 20+ points.  Number of cards reporting a balance is usually a pretty minor thing, but that is why the whole AZEO thing is talked about if every single point might count for a major loan.

I had three (3) out of twenty (20) cards reporting. I owed nothing ($0.00) on the Capital One cards except $38.39 on the Cap1 issued WalMart card. The CL for WM is $7,000.00.

My Experian site score is still reporting a CS of 830. American Express updated (4/22/24) my FICO 8 CS to 835 today. 

Capital One is not reporting a balance on the two Cap1 CC or on the BJ's CC. Only the WM store card had (past tense, it has been PIF. The charge was from last week. No rollover balance. Actua;;y, on the $500 CL card, I now have a $1.98 credit. I used my reward toward my card.

Here are my stats from AmEx Experian; AoOA: 28yrs 3mos, AAoA: 7yrs 9mos, Accounts with balances: three, Paid as Agreed: 100%, Utilization: 1%, Available Credit: $225,398.00. Interestingly, AmEx only showed a balance on two accounts though it stated there were three. My guess is one pending from Saturday or Sunday. One account was Citi Home Depot: $52.00 out of a CL of $8000.00 ( I was wrong on all the accounts being over a CL of $10K. Actually, I forgot about the purchase made three days ago. I must add, both of my FIngerhut accounts were showing open, both with  $1500 CL. I normally do not look at my Experian account through AmEx, ony through the Experian site. 

Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.