Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70-point difference between FICO 9s?

tag
BuckyB
New Contributor

70-point difference between FICO 9s?

Please school me, oh scoring gurus...  First, I have a dirty report because of some 120+s on my student loans during COVID (2020 and 2021).  I thought they were on deferment and apparently they weren't.  I've disputed to no avail.

Anyway, currently I have a 70-point difference between my Equifax FICO 9 (~760) and my Experian FICO 9 (~690) (both from around 3 weeks ago).  Admittedly, I have a lot more recent inquiries on my Experian (17 vs 6) but here's my question:

Given that the range of FICO 9 is a total of 550 points (850 - 300), and "new credit" (open accounts and inquiries) make up 10% of that, the total difference between two scores based on inquiries alone should be no more than 55 points, right?  10% of 550.  And that would assume one score is receiving full marks on the "new credit" part of the score and the other score is receiving essentially zero.

I can't, for the life of me, find any differences between my Experian and Equifax credit reports other than the number of inquiries.  So, unless they're treating the student loan deliquencies from a couple of years ago differently, how can there be such a wide disparity between two FICO 9s based on the same card?

For the record, I'm receiving the Equifax FICO 9 from NFCU (760) and PenFed (759) and the Experian FICO 9 from Wells Fargo (691).

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: 70-point difference between FICO 9s?

I tracked my scores from shortly after my Chapter 13 was discharged until a few months after the public record fell off my reports; most months my three FICO 9 scores were within 40 points, but there were a few edge cases where I saw as much as an 83 point delta between the highest and lowest.  From my perspective, FICO 9 is pretty volatile, so seeing large deltas is, for me at least, unsurprising.

Chapter 13:

• Burned: AMEX, Chase, Citi, Wells Fargo, and South County Bank (now Bank of Southern California)
  • Filed: 26-Feb-2015
  • MoC: 01-Mar-2015
  • 1st Payment (posted): 23-Mar-2015
  • Last Payment (posted): 07-Feb-2020
  • Discharged: 04-Mar-2020
  • Closed: 23-Jun-2020

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!

In the proverbial sock drawer:
Message 2 of 8
BuckyB
New Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

From my perspective, FICO 9 is pretty volatile, so seeing large deltas is, for me at least, unsurprising.

I understand.  I just wonder how, mathematically, that could happen.

Message 3 of 8
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

Each bureau has it's own algorithms tailored, if you will, into the respective Fico scoring models... EX for example is more sensitive to inquires.

Message 4 of 8
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@JoeRockhead wrote:

Each bureau has it's own algorithms tailored, if you will, into the respective Fico scoring models... EX for example is more sensitive to inquires.

That plus individual data points are seldom the same on all three reports.  I routinely see differences in inquiries, and which accounts are reported and which are not between the three.

Chapter 13:

• Burned: AMEX, Chase, Citi, Wells Fargo, and South County Bank (now Bank of Southern California)
  • Filed: 26-Feb-2015
  • MoC: 01-Mar-2015
  • 1st Payment (posted): 23-Mar-2015
  • Last Payment (posted): 07-Feb-2020
  • Discharged: 04-Mar-2020
  • Closed: 23-Jun-2020

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!

In the proverbial sock drawer:
Message 5 of 8
GZG
Valued Contributor

a myFICO 3b pull would be helpful here to figure out how FICO is interpreting the reporting of your baddies and to see reason codes for each of the beaurus 

I have a dirty TL, 

my EQ is where the reporting is 'most dirty' and the reason code remarks 'recent missed payment' 

image.png

my TU reporting is 'less dirty' and doesn't remark recent missed payment

image.png

if you want to know why, I imagine that a myFICO subscription or 3b pull will be able to tell you what's going on, no promises of course, but it's been highly informative for me to understand what FICO is doing compared to what I can see with my eyes on the report.

you'll be able to combine the reason code information with the report itself from myFICO which will show 'older derogatory events' to understand how FICO is understanding the reporting and leading to the scores you're seeing

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 6 of 8
BuckyB
New Contributor

Interesting, thank you

Message 7 of 8
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

As shown above, get a Fico 3B report and compare reason statements among the credit bureaus. That should provide some insight to what may be contributing to the score differences.

Fico tailors the scoring algorithms slightly for each CB. As a result, identical files can still differ in score 20-30 points among the CBs using the same base Fico model.

The difference in inquiry count might contribute 10 points by itself but no more. That being said, one CB may also give more weight to inqs than another.

I suspect the 70 point difference means something is reporting differently relative to the lates and/or a string of lates in your file is being treated differently relative to date or age.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.