cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do Student Loan Lenders Report Debt Forgiveness to Credit Bureaus?

tag
Manhattanlad

When do Student Loan Lenders Report Debt Forgiveness to Credit Bureaus?

I finally received the note that my student loan of $395,000 was forgiven - a loan amount that ballooned from $95,000 because of a Sallie Mae error that I fought for years to correct. Anyway I received notice that they are now forgiven in full but i'm wondering when does Mohella report this information to the credit bureaus. I see the last time they reported information was 3 months ago. 

MOST RECENT: EQ:717 / TU: 728 / EXP: 718-- BK 3/2014
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
GZG
Valued Contributor

Re: When do Student Loan Lenders Report Debt Forgiveness to Credit Bureaus?

@Manhattanlad wrote:

I finally received the note that my student loan of $395,000 was forgiven - a loan amount that ballooned from $95,000 because of a Sallie Mae error that I fought for years to correct. Anyway I received notice that they are now forgiven in full but i'm wondering when does Mohella report this information to the credit bureaus. I see the last time they reported information was 3 months ago. 

when I called nelnet and asked them to report an updated balance, they updated the balance not too long after alongside a dispute comment, it should be the end of the month, but perhaps give them a call and ask them to report

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 2 of 3
TULO30
Contributor

Re: When do Student Loan Lenders Report Debt Forgiveness to Credit Bureaus?

Has your balance been updated with CRAs? How did it affect your score?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.