Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Borrowers Defense in action!

tag
Itgem679
Regular Contributor

Borrowers Defense in action!

My background: AIU student, 128K in loans, applied 11/2019 for BD, BD 'ineligible' email from DOE 7.27.20. Received email regarding joining the Sweet v Devos (Cardona) case 6.16.20 with a follow up email on case 'next steps' (expectations) 9.23.20. I'm a 'full class' member of the settlement. Originally with Navient, moved to Aidvantage 12.27.21. Consolidated loans around 4.2021. Currently in IBR. Received Settlement approval from DOE for Sweet v. Cardona 2.28.23. AIU loans discharged as of 6.6.23.

I'm down from $128K to 18K and my journey isn't even over. AIU was on the list for the settlement, but so is Tucson College. As I am a full class member, the loans for Tucson College should be discharged as well. The borrowers defense sub on Reddit is blowing up. I'm really surprised no one is talking about this on MyFico.

Anyone here waiting for Biden's forgiveness? Anyone here a full class or post class member of the settlement?

Gardening until 2023. Current scores (11/2022): Ex: 757 Eq: 757 Tu: 757
CLs: (As of 12/2022)
First Tech World Mastercard: $10k
American Express: $1K
AAdvantage: $2.8K
Wells Fargo Platinum: $4.6K
Discover It (blue): $4.5K
Discover It (red): $4.5K
~6 other cards with limits under $2K
Auth'd user on 1 Capital One card.
All balances stay under 5%.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
WildestDreams
Regular Contributor

Re: Borrowers Defense in action!

If Biden's forgivness ever goes into effect I will be forgiven $20k out of the 180K i owe so will that really help me? probably not....

I am part of the Borrowers Defense case/settlement... My original application is from 2017!! yes 2017!!!! so I should have an update "No later than July 28, 2023" although I am praying they do not respond by then because according to the settlement documents...

If ED doesn’t make a decision on an application within the timelines outlined above, the borrower will receive Full Settlement Relief.

Sadly my school wasn't on the list of the auto approved ones so I am thinking they are going to just deny all of the pending applications from other schools but who knows. Fingers crossed for all of us

Message 2 of 6
Credithorse
New Visitor

Similarly situated, I'm a full member eligible for relief. My BD claim was submitted in 2019 and denied as ineligible in 2020. I was notified in Feb ('23) that my app was approved under the sweet v cardona decision.  It's "in review" now but no relief yet, but I'm glad to see someone else has.

Message 3 of 6
OpenBook55
Valued Member

@Itgem679 wrote:

My background: AIU student, 128K in loans, applied 11/2019 for BD, BD 'ineligible' email from DOE 7.27.20. Received email regarding joining the Sweet v Devos (Cardona) case 6.16.20 with a follow up email on case 'next steps' (expectations) 9.23.20. I'm a 'full class' member of the settlement. Originally with Navient, moved to Aidvantage 12.27.21. Consolidated loans around 4.2021. Currently in IBR. Received Settlement approval from DOE for Sweet v. Cardona 2.28.23. AIU loans discharged as of 6.6.23.

I'm down from $128K to 18K and my journey isn't even over. AIU was on the list for the settlement, but so is Tucson College. As I am a full class member, the loans for Tucson College should be discharged as well. The borrowers defense sub on Reddit is blowing up. I'm really surprised no one is talking about this on MyFico.

Anyone here waiting for Biden's forgiveness? Anyone here a full class or post class member of the settlement?

Hi thank s for this thread as I too am also surprised the BD doesn't hav much traction here. Can you share even if my pm the link tothe reddit thread as I would like to follow along..

Do you have any additional dp regarding how this affected your score. I woke up to 3/4 of my loans being deleted off my TU  report  yesterday am.I am unsure if its part of my. school's settlement as i didnt receive any updates recently. It was my oldest line of credit so my AAoA dropped from 7 yrs to 2.5 yrs.... I am waiting to see what will happen to both my scores and my other reports in the upcoming weeks.

However I logged into Aidvanange and my balances are still there so I am honestly confused and unsure how things are playing out.

Message 4 of 6
Deenae75
New Visitor

Hello! I went to AIU and is waiting patiently for my loans to be discharged! What servicer did you use? I have Mohela and asking them for a simple proof of payment for a school I've attended is like asking them for their first born. They applied the amount I paid toward my AIU loans that will be discharged. They said it was the instruction from US ED but when I asked US ED they said it was up to the servicer on how to apply the credit!… I'm confused… Please make it make sense to me the reasoning behind applying a credit ($9000.00) per the Sweet vs Cardona case to loans that will be discharged? Once the loans are discharged the credit will go to me according to the email we all received in February…Maybe I'm missing a clue.

Message 5 of 6
Deenae75
New Visitor

I went to AIU and I'm patiently waiting for my loans to be discharged. The irritation for me is trying to find out the exact dollar amount I will be refunded back. I have proof from the ED I paid $9k towards my AIU loans however my servicer says I paid less that $100..??? Hilarious. I now need to waste my time and give them a call to explain their figures and findings. I try to be humble and not complain over this since $64k of my loans will be discharged but it gets a little frustrating when no one knows nothing at MOHELA.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.