cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Late Navient

tag
DollarB1ll

Question on Late Navient

My credit score took a massive 146pt hit  after a loan I co-signed (Navient) went 60 day late. I am so pissed that now I want to just pay off the loan and get both it and this person out of my life. Right now the loan is still showing past due.  A few questions..

1.  Will my score rebound if they get caught up on the loan and bring the loan current?

2. Any cons to me paying off the loan? Meaning should I bring it current first then pay it off or do I just go ahead and pay it. 
3. Could I possibly make the case to remove the late payments as a part of a debt settlement with Navient. 

4. Does Navient do negotiated debt settlements? 

thanks and appreciate all the help and insight 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DollarB1ll

Late Payments

My credit score took a massive 146pt hit  after a loan I co-signed (Navient) went 60 day late. I am so pissed that now I want to just pay off the loan and get both it and this person out of my life. Right now the loan is still showing past due.  A few questions..

1.  Will my score rebound if they get caught up on the loan and bring the loan current?

2. Any cons to me paying off the loan? Meaning should I bring it current first then pay it off or do I just go ahead and pay it. 
3. Could I possibly make the case to remove the late payments as a part of a debt settlement with Navient. 

Message 2 of 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Late Payments

@DollarB1ll wrote:

I think your best bet is to bring it up to current immediately, then pay it off. I don't see any other way to get the loan and the person out of your life.

Any settlement is going to show up as a long term negative, unless you can get a pay-for-delete. I have no experience with negotiating a pay-for-delete with Navient. 

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 3 of 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Late Payments

Unfortunately you've learned the hard way that co-signing is risky because you're basically putting your credit profile / score in their hands.   Bad news is that the impact of the late payment won't go away when the account is paid or brought current, however over time you will regain the points back.   60 day lates are less impactful than 90, etc.. so eventually the impact will lessen. 

You can also try requesting GW from Navient if this was a one time mistake.  No idea if you'd have luck but it costs you nothing to ask them.   Is this a student loan account ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 5
WildestDreams
Regular Contributor

Re: Question on Late Navient

@DollarB1ll wrote:

did you ever get anywhere with this/Navient? I have heard they will not generally negoiate unless the loan is in default and past 180 days- as a cosigner it may be different?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.