Shrinking Member Count.

tag
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Shrinking Member Count.

@Horseshoez wrote:

@NoMoreE46 wrote:

Count is down to about 194,000 now.  Interesting to note that members who haven't logged in since 2008, still exist here.  

Regarding spammers, the CMs (fka the Mods) were pretty good at picking them out @Horseshoez .

@Horseshoez wrote:

@JoeRockhead wrote:

@805orbust Down even more today.... interesting

Here's one thought; I am a moderator on a number of other forums and we have occasionally performed house cleaning by correlating IP addresses with inactive users with known spammers.  On one site, with only a fraction of the traffic of myFICO, I ended up deleting over 300,000 users.  Not sure if that is what is going on here, but it is possible.

The point I was trying to make is, as they pick out new spammers, correlating the IP Addresses of said new spammers to inactive older accounts.  Just today on another site I had two new spammers come in with IP Addresses in the 122.168.* and 223.236.* ranges, and when I checked, there were literally hundreds of older accounts on that site, all of which had either sneaky spam posts, or a pattern of user names like "markwahlberg##" (where the "##" portion was some number between "00" and "99").

The problem with these latent accounts popped up on several of the forums I moderate, years after I was minted as a moderator, and years after the accounts were created; the bot which created them circled back and posted thousands of spam messages in less than an hour.  By cleaning out old accounts you mitigate this risk.

Trying to address those issues depends on how far down the rathole you're willing to go playing Whack a Mole .  BTDT in a previous life.

(5/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 21 of 135
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

@NoMoreE46 wrote:

Count is down to about 194,000 now.  Interesting to note that members who haven't logged in since 2008, still exist here.  

Regarding spammers, the CMs (fka the Mods) were pretty good at picking them out @Horseshoez .

@Horseshoez wrote:

@JoeRockhead wrote:

@805orbust Down even more today.... interesting

Here's one thought; I am a moderator on a number of other forums and we have occasionally performed house cleaning by correlating IP addresses with inactive users with known spammers.  On one site, with only a fraction of the traffic of myFICO, I ended up deleting over 300,000 users.  Not sure if that is what is going on here, but it is possible.

The point I was trying to make is, as they pick out new spammers, correlating the IP Addresses of said new spammers to inactive older accounts.  Just today on another site I had two new spammers come in with IP Addresses in the 122.168.* and 223.236.* ranges, and when I checked, there were literally hundreds of older accounts on that site, all of which had either sneaky spam posts, or a pattern of user names like "markwahlberg##" (where the "##" portion was some number between "00" and "99").

The problem with these latent accounts popped up on several of the forums I moderate, years after I was minted as a moderator, and years after the accounts were created; the bot which created them circled back and posted thousands of spam messages in less than an hour.  By cleaning out old accounts you mitigate this risk.

Trying to address those issues depends on how far down the rathole you're willing to go playing Whack a Mole .  BTDT in a previous life.

Fortunately my efforts have not been in vain; the sites I moderate have had their daily spammer count drop from dozens (sometimes hundreds) per day to a half-dozen or fewer.  It is pretty clear myFICO has a good handle on spammers as I rarely see one here.  Smiley Happy

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!

In the proverbial sock drawer:
Message 22 of 135
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Welp, I wanted to come back after a long break and read a bunch of happy chit-chat that makes MF unique only to find quite a few MF'ers are gone.  POOF!  Then I see the Garden Club gone too! .....like why?  Who thought it was a good idea to remove the GC?? Doesn't appear to have improved the site....if that was the incentive....oh boy what a 🪛.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 23 of 135
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

Welp, I wanted to come back after a long break and read a bunch of happy chit-chat that makes MF unique only to find quite a few MF'ers are gone.  POOF!  Then I see the Garden Club gone too! .....like why?  Who thought it was a good idea to remove the GC?? Doesn't appear to have improved the site....if that was the incentive....oh boy what a 🪛.

Agree. I took a break as well , although unintentional as life just had me very busy. I still lurked and researched as many do. I still wonder why some of the Super Contributors and above no longer post but perhaps they too needed a break. Garden Club was a good thing , especially for rebuilders and app happy folks. Go figure Smiley Indifferent 

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 24 of 135
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Creditwiser wrote:
I still wonder why some of the Super Contributors and above no longer post

Idk, but if I put in the hours that our "former (?) mods" and loyal contributors did and the one and only incentive was snatched...well...wwyd?  It's just not the same. That GC kept things alive when things were a little stale. 

Don't fix what isn't broken.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 25 of 135
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Yeah - I was soooo wrong about reaching to 300,000 members:

(My post from Dec 2021)

Which milestone will the Community reach first? - myFICO® Forums - 6461614

Message 26 of 135
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Creditwiser wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

Agree. I took a break as well , although unintentional as life just had me very busy. I still lurked and researched as many do. I still wonder why some of the Super Contributors and above no longer post but perhaps they too needed a break. Garden Club was a good thing , especially for rebuilders and app happy folks. Go figure Smiley Indifferent 

Message 27 of 135
CreditMarathoner
Frequent Contributor

I wonder, are people actually leaving in droves, requesting account deletion, or are they pruning all old inactive accounts?

It used to be old accounts just stayed unless you requested deletion.

Open Tradelines: 4 Revolvers, 1 Mortgage / Garden Start Date: 10/1/2021 / Garden Goal: don't have one right now
TCL: $26,500 / AAoA: 8y6m / AoYA: 1y5m / Inqs: 1EX 0TU 1EQ / FICO8 Feb 2023: 848(TU) 843(EX)
Message 28 of 135
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Creditwiser wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

Smiley LOL

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 29 of 135
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

@805orbust wrote:

Ok I gotcha. So basically at some point we're just gonna have AI fighting this battle for us on both sides eventually.

...until it decides that our existence is the problem 🤣

LOL, I design AI systems, and contrary to the common belief, AI will not become sentient anytime within our life times.  Smiley Happy

? Skynet ?   Smiley Surprised

Message 30 of 135
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.