Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unemployment Questions

tag
shalimarcat
Regular Contributor

Unemployment Questions

Hello everyone. I was recently laid off. I filed unemployment, my workplace denied it, and I had a phone interview today with the unemployment office.  It doesn't look favorable to me. 

Here are the details:

I worked at a retail pharmacy as a pharmacy technician. I was coming up on my 2-year anniversary, at which time I need to take a certification exam. I hadn't taken it when originally scheduled due to 2 deaths in my immediate family and feeling overwhelmed. I told both my managers, and said I was still willing to take the exam. One of the managers emailed the district manager, who told her it was too late. I thought this was supsicious, since I still had a little over 2 months to take the exam at the local college. It is one that you call and schedule.

Both managers stated that I could work in the store, and to talk to the store manager so that she could work me into the schedule.  I did this in early February, and was slated to to do this at the end of March. In mid-March, the store manager stated that she had no hours for me. ( I later met a new employee that she hired after this).

If the unemployment office denies me, what do I do?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Unemployment Questions

Depending on your state, there may be an appeals process.

However, if your chosen career path was in pharmacutical versus "other departments" and you would need to use that experience and organization as a reference, you may want to think twice about this...not that the previously employer by law can share specific details of why you were terminated....though when asked at your next interview....you would need to share some level of details and since this profession does revolve around certifications...I would likely chose to not push the envelope and put your efforts into finding a new job.

I can understand your frustration...though I would think focusing your attention on moving forward may be a better use of your time, efforts and overall well being.

Message 2 of 4
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Pretty sure it does not matter if your fired for performance or not as long as you don't quit.

Google - unemployment benefits fired and your state.

Study for the test and take it so you can be rehired or find a better job.

Good Luck!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 4
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

If a job requires certification within a given timeframe, employment can be conditional.

My daughter is a physician assistant. Certifications are by state. When she took a job in another state she had to get certified in the new state within a certain timeframe (6 months?). Not meeting that condition would have resulted in termination for cause (lack of certification). No unemployment.

Eligibility for UI does vary by state. Frankly, I don't see harm in pursuing it. It appears like they had other work available. Not sure if they had you working that job. If so, that may help your case. 

Yes, sit and take the test. Clearly the certification should help your  marketability. The certification should nullify any concern regarding competency. Scheduling but not taking the test due to unforseen personal tragedy should be a valid reason for missing the deadline. It won't get your job back but should not handicap you as a job applicant elsewhere.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.